Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps and USA baseball -- Good or Bad?

Topps' New Official Producer of USA Baseball Cards - Good or Bad?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Zithy said:
Where's the option for doesn't matter?

You can select that option by refraining from hitting the "submit" button which creates a new post.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I think it will be cool to get cards of guys like Harper into Bowman this year, but I am really having a tough time understanding the logic of completely eliminating all competition of any kind for Topps.

baseballguy350

Dec 7, 2008
Boston, MA / Longboat Key, FL
Jaypers said:
Zithy said:

You can select that option by refraining from hitting the "submit" button which creates a new post.
HA!

From the other thread - I'd rather have a USA parallel of some 17 year old who I don't know, as opposed to a 25 year old prospect drafted in 2002. I truthfully think that the USA parallels will probably have more investment upside then 90% of the nonautod checklist in Bowman. I for one would be THRILLED if USA cards had the same role as WBC cards last year, and flat out replaced the WBC cards. EVERY USA card would in essence be a 1st Bowman Chrome.

People can talk all they want about the hobby, and losing UD, and confusion, and blah blah blah. Truth be told, all this announcement does is increase the rip and flip value at release. For the true prospector, and I'm not talking about the casual fan, but instead for someone who really thinks they can scout, and pluck good from bad, the 1st USA card of a stud prospect could be a great investment. It seems like adding USA cards could reward the individuals who know their shat.

Whose gold refractor in 2010 Bowman USA will be the 1985 Topps Traded USA McGwire circa 1998?

I think it's excellent, and my order will be increasing by one jumbo or hobby case, pending some further details on checklist/production run/odds/will there be chrome USA in 2010 Bowman, or just base, etc.? I'll hedge my bets and say that 2010 Bowman Baseball products on release could go the way of Lebron 03-04 basketball products/Crosby 06-07(?) hockey, if Topps puts Harper and Strasburg in the same product. I'm not comparing Stras and Harper to Lebron or Crosby, I'm just stating from a hype standpoint, it's there.

Zithy

Sep 18, 2008
Jaypers said:
Zithy said:

I'm just not super one way or the other, but I'm decided :) So I just figure either way, a company will produce the product and people will buy and thus, in the end, it doesn't really matter too much who manufactures it. It wasn't meant to be any kind of ..l. post or anything

bmc398

May 25, 2009
Its a wait and see for me. The USA sets were one of the few products that UD did right in my opinion. this pretty much takes them out of the prospect game 100%. The only first year cards they will have are guys who really really squeak through the cracks which will be few and far between.

I like the idea of including the USA guys in bowman chrome releases but I think first it will be boxed sets....the way UD does it. Maybe not though as im sure they want to get Harper and Strasburg cards out there ASAP. Will be interesting to see. Would def. rather see the USA guys in 2010 Bowman vs. some of the repeats they have on the chrome checklist. I mean cmon, Wilmer Font JUST had a chrome card released last year, why does he need another one?

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I voted "Undecided". I'd like to see a couple of the initial offerings that Topps has before throwing them under the bus.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
The thing I like about UD's USA brand is all the different options you have to buy a card of a player, which include autos, jerseys, patches, letterman, jumbo patches, multi-player autos, creative autos (Q&A sigs), lineup autos and flag patches. Most of my Petey Paramore collection consists of UD USA cards, but I've never felt that I was chasing a bunch of parallels. Each one is different enough to make me want to get one of each kind. Plus, Topps was always there to chase the parallels from the Bowman Draft brands. Now that it's just Topps, I hope they don't just make a few cards with a bunch of parallels and have the jersey cards become the equivalent of SOTF autos.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
This is a good thing. Now maybe Upper Deck can focus it's efforts on it's existing products and redemption issues, and Topps can only blame itself for screwing things up.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Thanks to Beckett for completing the puzzle.

harperchrome.jpg

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
55_marlins_sp said:
I voted "Undecided". I'd like to see a couple of the initial offerings that Topps has before throwing them under the bus.

I don't see how there can be any other outlook besides this. I know we like to speculate, but I'll give them a shot before decreeing them unfit to continue the brand.

Members online

Latest posts