Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Topps Gold Label vs Flair Showcase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
looking for hands on opinions on these two base sets.

i do not own any of either and was wondering what you guys
thought of the quality of each.

if you want to go into the different "levels" of each, that would be great to read.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
I'd take flair over topps gold label any day of the week. I think both companies were matched up in terms of photography and having the 3 levels but I gotta go with legacy.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
I personally like fleer showcase as well. It's an inferior card stock, but is a more dynamic product, and the legacy collection has a larger following than the gold label reds did. It's an overall easier set to figure out, and the inserts are fantastic as well.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Another Gold Label vote here. I always wished they brought them back as numbered inserts in a mid-range product like Stadium.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Picked this up for $1.75 tonight

GriffeyGoldLabel.jpg

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
GL started one year after Flair because Topps didn't have a product to compete with it, but neither product was a real hit after 1999. Maybe the easiest way to approach this is to say "Which Masterpiece or 1/1 (or "one to one") would you rather have?"

ThoseBackPages said:
great input so far everyone.

id love to hear more thoughts.

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
uniquebaseballcards said:
GL started one year after Flair because Topps didn't have a product to compete with it, but neither product was a real hit after 1999. Maybe the easiest way to approach this is to say "Which Masterpiece or 1/1 would you rather have?"

ThoseBackPages said:

thank you for the info. But, i am an odd collector, i like good 'ole base cards. not only that, but then i like to take them and get them slabbed! hahaha :)

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
uniquebaseballcards said:
GL started one year after Flair because Topps didn't have a product to compete with it, but neither product was a real hit after 1999. Maybe the easiest way to approach this is to say "Which Masterpiece or 1/1 would you rather have?"

ThoseBackPages said:

Topps hurt themselves with the phantom numbering and the legacy's changing their numbering in 99 hurt. If they had kept to the 3 rows (well 98 had 4) /100 then I think they Flair would have been Ok.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
+1 I agree its always about the base cards. How the heck can someone appreciate the parallels without appreciating the base?!?

ThoseBackPages said:
thank you for the info. But, i am an odd collector, i like good 'ole base cards. not only that, but then i like to take them and get them slabbed! hahaha :)

Members online

Latest posts