Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Prince Fielder gets drilled* - pays price for celebration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
Zito beaned Fielder for pulling off one of the coolest cards of 2010 Topps.
There was lots of talking about when/if any retaliation would come.
He just threw the ball back to the mound. Totally worth it for this "iconic" (to me) card.

2010Prince.jpg

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Re: Prince Fielder gets drilled - pays price for celebration

eh, Zito doesn't throw hard enough for Fielder to really get drilled. lol.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
Re: Prince Fielder gets drilled - pays price for celebration

lisu said:
eh, Zito doesn't throw hard enough for Fielder to really get drilled. lol.

Ok, I added an asterisk to "drilled".

I'm still going to need a bunch of these cards though - all variations and quantities :)

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
I thought that was classless, but can't expect any better from Fielder. He's a great ballplayer and I've actually seem him hustle for a fatty, but he does classless things such as: getting in brawls with his teammates, approaching the opposing teams clubhouse pretending like he wants to fight, excessive celbration. I just don't want baseball to turn into the celebration fest football has become.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Pretty sad that there are people in baseball that feel the need to retaliate for something like that. Awesome celebration, all in fun.

LaneyB

Aug 7, 2008
North Carolina
wolfmanalfredo said:
I thought that was classless, but can't expect any better from Fielder. He's a great ballplayer and I've actually seem him hustle for a fatty, but he does classless things such as: getting in brawls with his teammates, approaching the opposing teams clubhouse pretending like he wants to fight, excessive celbration. I just don't want baseball to turn into the celebration fest football has become.

Rubbin is racing.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Joba fist pumps its a 13 page discussion on how its awful, this whale shows up the entire game of baseball and its ok. AMAZING some of the logic around these parts.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
nyc3 said:
Joba fist pumps its a 13 page discussion on how its awful, this whale shows up the entire game of baseball and its ok. AMAZING some of the logic around these parts.

You can relate anything back to the yankees and how unfair it is to be the greatest franchise in baseball history. Get over it, people dislike those that they are jealous of.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
nyc3 said:

You can relate anything back to the yankees and how unfair it is to be the greatest franchise in baseball history. Get over it, people dislike those that they are jealous of.

Fair enough.

Kevbo

Aug 7, 2008
Every team has fist pumpers, homerun watchers, finger pointers, and home plate jump fests.. I don't get irritated at any of that.
I can see people getting mad at the shirt untucking the brewers did all of last year, but it's not anything to get all bent about. Bat flips, dugout stares, shaving cream pies, cartwheels - it's tough to draw a line on what's acceptable, and I haven't seen anything offensive to me yet. This is an emotional game, after all.

People got mad when a walkoff celebration by the cardinals spilled to the pitchers mound before the opposing team was off the field. Big deal!
What's next, fireworks? Oh snap, everyone already blows off fireworks. Those are noisy and distracting - and you can't miss em. Probably makes the losing team feel bad too.
Someone should write a letter.

The Third Eye

Aug 26, 2008
The Fox Valley
Kevbo said:
Every team has fist pumpers, homerun watchers, finger pointers, and home plate jump fests.. I don't get irritated at any of that.
I can see people getting mad at the shirt untucking the brewers did all of last year, but it's not anything to get all bent about. Bat flips, dugout stares, shaving cream pies, cartwheels - it's tough to draw a line on what's acceptable, and I haven't seen anything offensive to me yet. This is an emotional game, after all.

People got mad when a walkoff celebration by the cardinals spilled to the pitchers mound before the opposing team was off the field. Big deal!
What's next, fireworks? Oh snap, everyone already blows off fireworks. Those are noisy and distracting - and you can't miss em. Probably makes the losing team feel bad too.
Someone should write a letter.

I couldn't have said it better myself Kevin. I love the Topps card too.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
The most overblown statement is whether or not a guy plays the game "the right way".

Having a fun celebration is not "showing up the game of baseball" nor is it playing the game the wrong way. Running to third base out of the batter's box is playing the game the wrong way. Celebrating a homerun by untucking your shirt, or pretending to be a bowling ball has gotta be somewhere around #25,000 on the list of "Things to Worry About"

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Brett Keith said:
braden said:
Running to third base out of the batter's box is playing the game the wrong way.

But what if the player reeeeally hustles out of the box?

Well, if he's short and white, he'll be lauded for his scrapiness and willingness to do anything to help his team win.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
braden said:
Brett Keith said:
braden said:
Running to third base out of the batter's box is playing the game the wrong way.

But what if the player reeeeally hustles out of the box?

Well, if he's short and white, he'll be lauded for his scrapiness and willingness to do anything to help his team win.

Eckstein is out at third on throw to first, but not for a lack of trying. He busted it the whole way.

mrwhitesox30

Oct 7, 2008
I think people forget that baseball can get monotonous and players need to come up with things to make each day different. We think it's fun, but when you have a practice or game almost every day for 7-8 months, plus late night flights where you get in at 6 and wake up in the afternoon just to play another game, I would try and change it up as well.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
I didn't have a problem with the celebration as far as the "disrespecting the game" argument goes, although somethin about the way they executed it made it seem childish to me...the delivery could have been way better.

I love this card though, definitely gonna have to pick one up or buy packs of Topps til I pull one. Seems like there are 1-3 of these kinds of cards every year that I get for no better reason than they have a great picture on the front.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
Regardless of how I feel about the celebration, you kind of have to feel sorry for the Giants if they were this bent out of shape over it.

I mean throughout the winter you can just see them huddled over a flaming trash can muttering to themselves..."just wait til spring training, we'll show 'em."

It's a new year and a new season. Get over yourselves.

And I guess they didn't notice the whole team was in on it. Why not throw at everyone?

Members online