Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Now we know what Teixeiras worth, what about Pujols?

What is the market value of Albert Pujols based on an 8 year contract?

• A. $100-$150 Million

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C. $175-$200 Million

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
I know another post regarding Pujols leaving St. Louis will upset a lot of Cardinals fans as everyone seems to think/know hes not leaving, so I ask this hypothetically.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
If I had to guess, he signs back in St. Louis. Something like 6 years, $150 million. No debate he's the best hitter in baseball, and a gold glover, but I think he gives a hometown discount.

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
Topnotchsy said:
If I had to guess, he signs back in St. Louis. Something like 6 years, $150 million. No debate he's the best hitter in baseball, and a gold glover, but I think he gives a hometown discount.

Not a 70 million dollar discount.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
thenumberonemetfan said:
Topnotchsy said:

6 years $150 million is $25 million a year, so per year, it's no shabby. Guess it could be 7 years, $175 million or so.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Pujols is so much better of a player than Teixeira that it isn't even funny. If you go solely off of what Tex's contract looks like, Pujols should get somewhere near 300 million, which i don't think is really realistic.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
Topnotchsy said:
thenumberonemetfan said:
Topnotchsy said:

6 years $150 million is $25 million a year, so per year, it's no shabby. Guess it could be 7 years, $175 million or so.

Pujols has made it clear that he will not be giving a "hometown discount". He knows baseball is a business and is willing to move on if the Cardinals make a subpar offer. If the Cards do in fact make an offer that causes Pujols to leave, I will be incredibly upset/disappointed with the team and I am sure other fans will as well.

G

Topnotchsy said:

He said a few years ago that he loves St. Louis but he isn't going to give a hometown discount to anyone. He wants what he's worth. That's it in a nut shell. Wish I had an exact article to reference.

If you ask ME, he's one of the most UNDERPAID players in all of MLB considering some of the players that make more than him can't even hold a candle to the guy.

G

This is from 04, so hopefully he's changed his mind a bit.

http://www.athomeplate.com/pujols2.shtml

The signing of Pujols quelled the controversy surrounding the negotiations involving fan uproar upon hearing that Pujols declared there would be “no hometown discount.” Fans in St. Louis had enjoyed a recent tradition of players such as Mark McGwire, Jim Edmonds, Jason Isringhausen and Scott Rolen, who all signed deals believed to be underneath their market values. However, now that the signing is in the books, Cardinal fans must ask themselves this question: Where was this signing in relation to Pujols’ market value? Well, that is an extremely difficult question to answer considering that a deal of this nature is unprecedented for a player that is merely 24 years old. No player has ever started a career with a consistent 3-year standard of excellence (.300+, 30+ HR, 100+ RBI, 100+ Runs) like Albert Pujols, and no player has hit more homers in their first three seasons (114). If you favor the rhetoric that players this young “are only going to improve,” you may find that this signing was excellent for the Cardinals, because another year like Pujols’ 2003 line (MLB-best .359 avg., 43 HR, 127 RBI, 137 R) could have priced Pujols out of St. Louis entirely. Whether you consider St. Louis a small market or not (the payroll is expected to exceed $80 mil), it’s quite rare that smaller cities are able to retain their budding superstars. The agreement with Pujols was, arguably, under market value if you consider that a Hall-of-Fame career could be in the making.

Members online

Latest posts