Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where do you store your high end cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Where does everyone store their high-end cards? I just put my high-end Montero's and anything else with a SV of +/= $300, into my parents safe. My house was actually broken into a few months back (nothing of value was stolen) but, I had Jeter and A-Rod autos sitting on my desk that the robber didn't take. I'd be pretty pissed if he took my box of Montero's, that's why I decided to store them safely.

I'm actually worried my parents will go in there and throw them out. They are pretty clueless about this stuff.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
Unfortunately my "high-end" cards are relatively few, so they are all on display behind my desk. No storage at all, but I do have insurance for all my cards and memorabilia complete with recent sale values and book values on a spreadsheet with photos. I update this sheet twice a year and turn in a copy to my insurance agent.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
notoriousrmb said:
Unfortunately my "high-end" cards are relatively few, so they are all on display behind my desk. No storage at all, but I do have insurance for all my cards and memorabilia complete with recent sale values and book values on a spreadsheet with photos. I update this sheet twice a year and turn in a copy to my insurance agent.

Do you have insurance through your basic homeowner policy or is this a special policy/agency? Wondering how I can insure my book/paper collections.

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
I really do not have any big gun cards, but I just keep anything 40 or more in my rookie box lol. I have one giant box for everything.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
I'm just worried of someone breaking in and walking away with a box of cards. I have about $10-$12k worth of Montero's that a robber can take. I think the safe is the best bet.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
JackLondon said:
notoriousrmb said:

Do you have insurance through your basic homeowner policy or is this a special policy/agency? Wondering how I can insure my book/paper collections.

Ours is through the homeowners policy, although a Personal Articles policy is also an option. Not exactly sure what is required under the PA although I know its much more detailed than the general coverage.

blanning71

Super Moderator
Aug 8, 2008
Eastern North Carolina
I have my cards in the depths of a dark, dank, cave. They are stored inside a titanium framed vault in solid granite and it features the following:

-Retina Scan encrypted lock combined with a handprint scanner
-Trembler devices that detect the slightest movement throughout the room
-2 Oompa Loompas that man my two machine gun turrets on either side of the entrance to the vault.
-sharks with laser beams on their heads once you get to the bottom of the cave. Ya gotta cross a rickety bridge to be cool these days
-flamethrowers mounted on top of the entry door so it can burn your head like Joe Pesci in Home Alone
-poison Gilmore Fart Gas that will trigger if an intruder is detected
-a rabid pack of badgers that will gnaw off your hands if you reach into the wrong drawers to find the cards in the vault

isotopes4

Feb 27, 2009
blanning71 said:
I have my cards in the depths of a dark, dank, cave. They are stored inside a titanium framed vault in solid granite and it features the following:

-2 Oompa Loompas that man my two machine gun turrets on either side of the entrance to the vault.
-sharks with laser beams on their heads once you get to the bottom of the cave. Ya gotta cross a rickety bridge to be cool these days
-flamethrowers mounted on top of the entry door so it can burn your head like Joe Pesci in Home Alone
-a rabid pack of badgers that will gnaw off your hands if you reach into the wrong drawers to find the cards in the vault

I call shenanigans, we all know you keep em in a big red foam hat

tulsan

Aug 7, 2008
Oklahoma
in my gun safe. i intended to insure the collection a while back but never got around to it... guess i need to get it back on the to do list.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I was wondering about insuring a collection --

What do you insure them as? Book Value? Paintings and other items of historical evidence are always insured well beyond auction levels, so I was sorta wonderin' about this.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
francisjniskey said:
Two big Safety Deposit boxes at the Bank

That's where most of my HOF auto collection is. I love that photobucket allows me to continue to peruse/post scans of the collection while it is locked away elsewheres.

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
blanning71 said:

LOL, where can I get one of those? Um, but can I get it without the Gilmore Fart Gas option?

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
pigskincardboard said:
I was wondering about insuring a collection --

What do you insure them as? Book Value? Paintings and other items of historical evidence are always insured well beyond auction levels, so I was sorta wonderin' about this.

They are insured at the cost it would take to replace the item. I provide book values and recent auction closings for my bigger cards to my insurance provider. If anything would happen to my collection, they attempt to replace the item first, then offer monetary compensation if it cannot be replaced.

miguelcabrera

Nov 20, 2008
YOU KNOW
whats the point of having them at safety deposit box at bank. no value in that as its like their not even yours to look at etc, just scans like their not yours
you guys take this way too seriously

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Everything I've got (PC) is in 9 pocket sheets in binders. Yes, even high-end cards.

As for insurance, I've never considered insuring my cards but we do have a pretty valuable piece of art that we took a separate rider out on.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
miguelcabrera said:
whats the point of having them at safety deposit box at bank. no value in that as its like their not even yours to look at etc, just scans like their not yours
you guys take this way too seriously

What's your collection worth? Any true one-of-a-kind items?

I don't see much difference in holding a Cy Young cut auto in my hand and posting photos of it on the web at will. The latter happens to be my daily hobby. But if my house is robbed or burns down, I will still own that cut (and will probably need to sell it at that point!)

Members online

Latest posts