Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player Collectors: What do you do when.....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
I'm sure I am not alone in this so I figured I would get some input from guys that have gone through it.

Here is the deal, I recently purchased the last remaining card on my "Top 10" Chavez wantlist. What do you do when there isn't anything out there that you really want. This isn't to say that there aren't cards out there that I would like to acquire but what do you do when there isn't a search for "that" card or cards any longer. I have a "Curren" Top 10 List of Chavez that gets updated when I scratch one off the list but as a whole, they are all gone.

Top 10 Most Wanted
1. 1997 Bowman Chrome International Refractor (Have Acquired 1st)
2. 2003 Topps Prime Cuts Autographed Relic /50 (Have Acquired 7th)
3. 2001 E-X Behind the Jersey Autograph /3 (Have Acquired 6th)
4. 2003 Leaf Certified Materials Mirror Emerald Patch /5 (Incoming)
5. 1999 Upper Deck Forte Quadruple Purple /10 (Have Acquired 9th)
6. 2004 Leaf Certified Materials Mirror Black Autograph /1 (Have Acquired 4th)
7. 2002 Absolute Signing Bonus White Autograph /28 (Have Acquired 3rd)
8. 2001 Absolute Boss Hoggs Baseball /25 (Have Acquired 8th)
9. 2000 Skybox Autographics Purple Signature /50 (Have Acquired 2nd)
10. 2000 Venezulean Stickers (Have Acquired Acquired 5th)

I don't know if this makes any sense at all but I wanted to share anyways. Thanks for your input.

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
I havent had a "that" card for about a week.I just sit it out and create new player collections.I see an Erick Aybar card I like I'll buy it same with Clemente.I've hit a couple dry spells with my beltran collection but it just means you have more money to spend when that it card actually does show up.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Well... surely new items will pop up and/or you can expand your collection to 1/1 (I know you don't like plates but wasn't sure if you collected other 1/1).

Since I collect 4 guys heavily, I guess I don't have the same problem (yet) :D

Merry Christmas!

Josh

ThoseBackPages

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Someone at your level of Player Collectorness must just make a new "Top 10"

Outside of 1/1's, i feel that you have to hit 100% Completeness

Your EC collection is one of the best, period.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
Take some time to enjoy the feeling, reevaluate, look for the next missing pieces to the puzzle, continue looking.

Of course, my want list consists of a 1/1 and a card /25 that I've never seen so I can't say I have or ever will face the same problem.

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
personally, I would go for everything else. Im sure there are enough cards that you do not have to keep you busy. That said you may have them all now ;)

Could always start another player collection ;)

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
Sorry to go OT

Are the Venezuelan Stickers rare? I have the Schilling from that set (2000) and wasn't aware that it was anything special or short-printed.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I have multiple collecting interests, from pre-war (19th Century), vintage, and modern, but my Frank Thomas collection is my most important interest. I have multiple sets of hobby goals within each interest. I rotate each set of goals within each interest every few months.

This way, it takes a really long time to complete each of my multiple goal sets, but I don't get bogged down in them, and they're always fresh when I return to them.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
bigpapiMA32 said:
Sorry to go OT

Are the Venezuelan Stickers rare? I have the Schilling from that set (2000) and wasn't aware that it was anything special or short-printed.

Well... not really "rare" just not very commonly available. One or two sellers have them available. That's where I've gotten mine from.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Why do you buy multiples of the same card? I've tried before, but there's no point. It's the same card. If I have one, that's enough for me.

It's like being a player and nailing the same girl several times. Once you succeed, move on the the next.

EricChavezCollector3

Aug 7, 2008
thenumberonemetfan: I'm not really looking to start anothing player collection, there are plenty (relatively speaking) of Chavez out there that I could buy just seeing what other collectors do when their top cards are obtained.

theplasticman: I don't know how you do it man with 4 massive player collections, there is no way I would have the funds or the organization to keep up with them. You are right I don't really like plates and besides DK, Prime Cuts and M&M 1/1's there really aren't that many 1/1's out there that pop up and when they do I usually get them. Merry Christmas as well. You have some amazing collections

ThoseBackPages: The only non 1/1 card out there that that I really want is a 2001 MVP Trio bat w/ Chipper Jones and Troy Glaus (I concentrate my collection on 1997-2003), besides that the rest are smaller/rarer issues that are great if I can find them if not not a huge deal. Thank you for the compliments. Do you want my whole want list or my current Top 10?
Tomlinson21RB: I honestly don't know if I am enjoying finding that last piece, it is great to have it incoming just not sure where I want to concentrate from here. I don't really actively collect 1/1's so those aren't ever on the tops of my list except for the Black Auto since it completed the set. What card are you missing /25?

bouwob: I have pretty much every available non 1/1 from 1997-2003, and 2006-2008. There are just so many card in 2004-2005 that it makes it tough to try to collect sets since there are 20-30+ cards in a set and I like things being complete :)

bigpapiMA32: I have never seen one for sale and only got mine from another Chavez collector. It is just so ugly I liked it so much :)

BunchOBull: I have tried other things (HOF Reds, 1972 Topps set, etc etc) but I never can get myself to spend big dollars on an item because I think what I could buy of Chavez with the money

JoshHamilton: I do not buy multiples on purpose, all my multiples are either from small lots that i buy for one card or are gifts from other collectors.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
EricChavezCollector3 said:
Tomlinson21RB: I honestly don't know if I am enjoying finding that last piece, it is great to have it incoming just not sure where I want to concentrate from here. I don't really actively collect 1/1's so those aren't ever on the tops of my list except for the Black Auto since it completed the set. What card are you missing /25?

Understandable, but at least there is more out there to go after! Good luck with the next 10 on your want list.

The /25 I need is the 2003 Topps Chrome Traded X-Fractor. I have never even seen this card in almost 3 years. The 1/1 is the 2003 Bowman Heritage Gold Rainbow, which I stupidly let go when I saw it up for auction. These are the last 2 licensed cards that I need from 2003 to complete the non printing plate master set.

Members online