Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Name the one that got away...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TBTwinsFan

Nov 8, 2009
Southwestern Minnesota
I can think of a few... Paul Molitor, Carlos Gomez... Fransisco Liriano signed for the guy before me and came aroudn and signed a few down the line... Joe Nathan... Denny Hocking...

But the big one was Frank Viola. It was the "second" (actually fourth) to the last game at the Metrodome. Frank Viola threw out the first pitch that day. My dad went up to get some hot dogs, and Viola had come out of his suite to sign a few autographs. My dad didn't have a pen (or couldnt think of anything to get signed, but he had his stub).

That is the big one. I got over it because I didn't go home empty handed. I got Anthony Lerew (with a pen that I found... pretty lucky) and the next day I got Scott Erickson, Gary Gaeitti (I appologize for butchering the name...) and Ron Mahay

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
Joba Chamberlain. I was at a morning game when he played for Trenton and it was a 12:05 start and he was still on the roster. I went to go get him and he got called up to AAA and left at 10 A.M. for Scranton. I almost cried because I was going to go to the game the day before and work called me in. ::facepalm::

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Oddly enough...never really had one that got away. I have been one lucky son of a gun when it comes to this. In fact, oddly enough, there have been more times than I can count where me and my friends will all be trying to get the same guy to sign and I am the one who ends up getting something while nobody else does. How this happens constantly I have no idea. But its pretty cool nonetheless.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Once, I was in a group of people at the rail at Anaheim Stadium and an Angel pitcher (awhile ago, can't even remember his name) was signing for everyone. He was almost to me, when a coach jogged behind him and said, "Let's go, MOVE!" and the player had to hurry after him into the dugout. :D

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
JackLondon said:
Once, I was in a group of people at the rail at Anaheim Stadium and an Angel pitcher (awhile ago, can't even remember his name) was signing for everyone. He was almost to me, when a coach jogged behind him and said, "Let's go, MOVE!" and the player had to hurry after him into the dugout. :D

Mr. Nolan Ryan?

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
jbone17 said:
JackLondon said:

Mr. Nolan Ryan?

Nooooo, just some pitcher from the 90's.

Was lucky enough to meet Nolan at a free signing at JC Penney's as a kid:
sc00004069.jpg
Signatures are in pencil, but still look nice up close. :)

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
JackLondon said:
jbone17 said:
JackLondon said:

Mr. Nolan Ryan?

Nooooo, just some pitcher from the 90's.

Was lucky enough to meet Nolan at a free signing at JC Penney's as a kid:
sc00004069.jpg
Signatures are in pencil, but still look nice up close. :)

Cool stuff! :cool:

RNCoyote

Nov 4, 2009
Texas
Roger Clemens. He showed up at the stadium unexpected to watch his son Koby (who was at Double-A Corpus Christi at the time) play. Word got out around 6th inning (via radio broadcast) Roger was here and will throw out the first pitch the next game. I have to work on that day so the rush was on to get his autograph. Me and another friend tried to find him with no luck. Missed out Roger. Maybe this year. He goes to games wherever his son plays.

alifaxwa2

Dec 24, 2008
Jefferson, MD
Ken Griffey Jr.
1993 All star game in Pittsburgh.
We were waiting along the 3rd base line before the game trying to get sigs. 30 minutes before the game, ushers came down and told everyone to move out so that people with the close seats could actually sit down. So we left and went to our seats in the upperdeck. Got to our seats and looked down and Griffey was signing exactly in front of where we had been waiting.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
For me it was Cal Ripken's last game in Chicago.

He was making his typical rounds and I was one person away and decided to swap places with a person wearing a Ripken jersey. He was stoked, I walked up the aisle. I can buy a Ripken ball and I was close enough to grab him, but that guy probably had a life experience.

The one that got away I guess could be John Belushi. In 1980, they were filming "Continental Divide" in Chicago and my family was downtown for breakfast. He patted me on the head, but I didn't ask for a signature. Even at 7, I knew what autographs were. My parents were probably more impressed at the time than I was, but I can't see my dad ever asking anyone for their autograph.

yankees23657

Aug 7, 2008
For the most part i have gotten many of the autos that i have ever wanted. It took me about 8 years of trying to finally get a Jeter auto, but i did get it a couple years ago in spring training. I also just got Mariano Rivera last week, and have and auto of Posada. So i will say that the one auto that got away was Andy Pettitte. He was signing last week before his start against the Phillies in spring training. I had passed my ball to a guy that was right in front of him but he stopped signing before he was able to hand the ball down to him.

O well though, one of these days i will get a Pettitte auto, i am just to stubborn to buy them because i know that at some point i will be successful. So as of right now now, i have 3/4 of the "Core Four", lol