Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Word on the street is Mauer will sign an extension Sunday

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
wolfmanalfredo said:
8 years 22 mil per year, with an option for year 9 and 10. I guess we'll see if this is true or not tomorrow

Hopefully the deal gets done soon. Twins need this... BAD !

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
This would be great for the sport and he could be considered the next Cal or Tony Gwynn.

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
That would be a terrible contract by the time it's over. Sorry but NO ONE is worth 8/176. Especially not a catcher.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
trevordchi said:
That would be a terrible contract by the time it's over. Sorry but NO ONE is worth 8/176. Especially not a catcher.

He more then likely would've been offered a similar deal but for more money by the yanks or bosox

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
darocker80 said:
mwashuc06 said:
This would be great for the sport and he could be considered the next Cal or Tony Gwynn.
Or Jeter...

Yea I saw that the only players in the last 35 years or so who played their entire career on one team (10+ years) were Ripken, Gwynn, Puckett. I still don't think thats right, there has to be more. Jeter will retire as a yankee and join those 3 as first ballot hofers. When this deal is done, Mauer will have 12+ years with the same team. Morneau has said he wants to play his whole career in Minnesota, as a Twins fan, I just hope they can afford both Mauer and Mroneau

djrulz

Aug 7, 2008
Jamestown
I like the fact that Mauer wants to stay a Twin and Morneau wants to stay a Twin. But if both sign contracts to stay, which one will DH and which one will man 1B when Mauer can't catch anymore?

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
If its true, and Mauer goes back to hitting 9HR a year, that will be a horrible contract in 8 years.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
If its true, and Mauer goes back to hitting 9HR a year, that will be a horrible contract in 8 years.

Not if he's hitting .350, driving in 90-100 RBI's, and playing gold glove D.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
mwashuc06 said:
vwnut13 said:

In 8 years where will he be playing on the field?

First base, DH maybe?

RiceLynnEvans75

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
vwnut13 said:
mwashuc06 said:
vwnut13 said:

First base, DH maybe?

I would imagine whichever is going to best help the team.

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
vwnut13 said:
mwashuc06 said:
vwnut13 said:

First base, DH maybe?

Well then I guess he'll have to be considered Wade Boggs then I guess. I bet Mauer could probably play 3rd if he had to.

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I think what a lot of the nay sayers are missing is Mauer is more than just a bat in the lineup, a catcher behind the plate, he IS the face of the Minnesota Twins franchise. This is the same kid that grew up in St Paul rooting for the Twins, playing little league and high school baseball just miles from the Metrodome and now Target Field, was the first pick in the draft when most of the experts were saying take Prior, hes a sure thing. Im not saying that the Twins had to do whatever it cost to retain Mauer, but they pretty much had to. With Target Field opening in about a month, there would be a serious revolt by the fans if the Twins let Mauer walk after this year. This is a great deal for all parties, except the Yankees or Red Sox, both of which we know were creaming in their drawers at the possibility of being able to sign Mauer, now, poof, hes off the market. :D

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
This is a great move by the Twins. Sure the money is big, but the kid seems to be once in a lifetime talent and a once in a lifetime personality. He's the face of the franchise and probably good enough to keep people coming to the ballpark if the team is competitive or not.

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
wolfmanalfredo said:
darocker80 said:
mwashuc06 said:
Or Jeter...

Yea I saw that the only players in the last 35 years or so who played their entire career on one team (10+ years) were Ripken, Gwynn, Puckett. I still don't think thats right, there has to be more. Jeter will retire as a yankee and join those 3 as first ballot hofers. When this deal is done, Mauer will have 12+ years with the same team. Morneau has said he wants to play his whole career in Minnesota, as a Twins fan, I just hope they can afford both Mauer and Mroneau

There's a ton of active guys who fall under that category, I think they may be talking about retired?

Bernie Williams was a career Yankees, but I don't think he's "officially" retired yet.

Biggio & Bagwell are definitely in that category. That's just off the top of my head.

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
trevordchi said:

I do agree, but the Mauer has a gun to their head. They have a new stadium to think about filling. Can you imagine the revolt if they let Mauer sign with the Yankees? As much as I hate to say it as a Tigers fan, Mauer resigning with the Twins is GREAT for baseball!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts