Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone else feel like they're addicted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Resident Bay Fan

Aug 7, 2008
Northern Maine
Lately I've been having a bit of trouble of not be able to stop myself from bidding on certain cards. Mainly cards that are never listed, much or have just passed me by sor some reason. Cards that are #/5, #/10 and are really nice patch cards or autos. I just put in a bid on a Piazza jersey card # 5/5. I know his card will rarely if ever pop up again, and just couldn't resist throwing a bid, and at $39.99, I think it would be a steal. What do you do when you feel like you've reached your budget limit?

Art

MTBright

Aug 7, 2008
Resident Piazza Fan said:
Lately I've been having a bit of trouble of not be able to stop myself from bidding on certain cards. Mainly cards that are never listed, much or have just passed me by sor some reason. Cards that are #/5, #/10 and are really nice patch cards or autos. I just put in a bid on a Piazza jersey card # 5/5. I know his card will rarely if ever pop up again, and just couldn't resist throwing a bid, and at $39.99, I think it would be a steal. What do you do when you feel like you've reached your budget limit?

Art

yes, more and more everyday....

Cobra29svt

Aug 7, 2008
Richmond, Va
I can certainly relate to what you're saying. What I ended up doing was going through my collection and selling cards that I didn't care for too much. Alot of the cards I purchased just because they had a low print run like /5 and /10. Then there were others that I purchased when I first got back into collecting (plain game-used cards) that I decided I no longer had any desire for. I sold off alot of stuff like that to help fund those impulse buys and other cards that are a better fit for my collection.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I'll be dead-on honest..."YES", I spend WAY TOO MUCH & I really am starting to think that I bid impulsively moreso than not (I try to keep the bids low but I really think I need to ween myself off of this very bad habit) :D I look at it as: at least I've got something to show for it after I spend my money & I can possibly (most likely) sell it & make money back; so it's not as if it is a bad addiction like drinking or druggin' (you've got nothing to show for addiction to those but a hangover & a busted life)... I was just thinking about this today, I really think I'm addicted to Ebay. "Hi....My name's David...and I'm a cardoholic...Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.... Ahhhh, I feel much better- Thanks for the meeting....I'm just gonna hop on the internet highway & cruise past Ebay...I won't stop or anything, & I'll definitely not bid (so don't you worry about me, I'm just fine) :D Twitching & shaking as I head towards Ebay :lol:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
When I felt this way a while back I decided to take a 30 day vacation from bidding which helped "cure" me.

Resident Bay Fan

Aug 7, 2008
Northern Maine
Topnotchsy said:
When I felt this way a while back I decided to take a 30 day vacation from bidding which helped "cure" me.

Honestly, If I tried to do this, I would have to have my internet shut off for that 30 days. And I really couldn't go that long without coming here and reading about all the different things that go on in the hobby as well as the OT stuff. I live alone, so this is my
"release" in life. Besides ridng my horse when I can. I know that when spring gets here, I'll be spending alot more time do that, and therefore won't be spending as much time on ebay. But I saw the Piazza auction at the bottom of the screen not more than an hour ago and my email thingy just popped up and said that I won the Piazza 5/5 Prime cuts card. Looks like I'll be pissing off my doctor more again this month, lol.

Art

bouwob

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Not usually an issue with me. There are only 3 or 4 cards that I really, really want and chances are when they drop I wouldn't be able to afford them anyways.

Almost everything I want will show up again someday and in the meantime I have 7000 other cards I need to get.

Resident Bay Fan

Aug 7, 2008
Northern Maine
bouwob said:
Not usually an issue with me. There are only 3 or 4 cards that I really, really want and chances are when they drop I wouldn't be able to afford them anyways.

Almost everything I want will show up again someday and in the meantime I have 7000 other cards I need to get.

I really do understand your point here. But I have 2 main reasons for why I collect cards.

1: I love baseball and building my collection/collections.

2: I want to be able to leave my youngest son something that he can hold onto and maybe even pass to his kids if he ever has any, that has some value to it.

That's kinda why I started to collect Jason Bay cards. His cards are way cheaper than that of Piazza. There is never a shortage of Piazza cards for me to pick up when I can, but there are times when I really don't have the dough to shell out for some nice Piazza's, so I'll pick up some Bay cards instead, and then there are times when I can pick up some nice Piazza's. As many Piazza's that I already have, I only have 6 of his auto's and those are the ones that I look to get most of the time, but they are just to much for me most of the time. But still, ther is no shortage of his cards that I can't pick up some nice g/u or inserts that are rare or just very nice looking cards. I really don't have any cards that I can trade for high end Piazza cards so I have to go to the bay to pick up the good ones.

Dang, I think I'm even beginning to talk to much. Must be that "change of life" thingy going on, lol.

Art

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
Quality over quantity, that is my motto.
I use to bid and win every darn Musial base and insert out there.
Then one day, looking over the collection I asked why do I have all of these??
So I went through them, picked out the sets that I liked and have sold the rest.
Great thing was, there were a couple of other Musial collectors out there having bidding wars.
I came out ahead after all was said and done.
Now, I take pride in my small-medium size collection, because I know that I have the best darn cards of his out there, IMO.

Roy Birchler

Aug 7, 2008
Northern California
When I was collecting all Griffey cards, I had that problem. Now that I colect only his autos they are to expensive to go crazy over. I am now happy adding about one a month. Life is so much simplier now.

Roy

Wes

OG
Administrator

Art

I reach my budget limit when my credit card says no.

G

For me it is Gold Refractors in the masses, I have over 50 of varies players for varies years
here are 2 I got today for just over 10 total shipped
7f5f_1.jpg
9b21_1.jpg
And last week I picked up both of these for just over 10 as well 1 gold and 1 orange refractor
e864_1.jpg
50b5_1.jpg

trevordchi

Aug 9, 2008
I was but then I got engaged. Now I need to sell off most of my collection to pay for the honeymoon :cry:

Resident Bay Fan

Aug 7, 2008
Northern Maine
LLWesMan said:

Art

I reach my budget limit when my credit card says no.

LMAO, that's why I'm really glad I don't have any of those.

Art

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
ive been bidding on stuff left and right now. Its so hard not to bid on the stuff when its so cheap. Safe to say Im an ebay addict

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
I've felt this way myself over the years, but with the economy the way it's been the last six months or so, I've cut back my hobby spending to almost nothing. That I've been able to do so has been a pretty good positive reinforcement.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I used to buy bid on everything listed at one point but I have cut back on my spending lately. I will only purchase O'Neill's big token items or steals from eBay. The rest of the stuff I will look to trade for.

Members online

Latest posts