Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Player collectors: Is it a sad day when your guy retires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
I've only got one active player left (Erstad) and he might be done if he can't get a deal soon

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
I can remember when Rod Carew retired.

I definitely felt sad that I wouldn't be seeing him play the game anymore.

Also, this was back before the baseball card industry had taken off, so, at the time, I didn't even have much potential for buying his cards after he retired.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Rickey had a nice long career and when he finally quit I wasn't too sad. I really thought he was done a few years before! Plus we could finally count down the HOF thing.

Jason Jennings sat around unsigned all off-season, and I googled him a ton and never saw any interest from any team. I was getting worried that he would "retire" or really just not get a job this year. That wouldn't have been cool at all.

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
Yes, absolutely. I keep thinking "this is the year" but Omar just keeps playing. In fact, just yesterday there were several articles where Omar's been asked repeatedly how long he'll play and if he'll reach 3K hits. He'd have to play for at least 3 seasons which is pretty unlikely. I'd love to see him still playing but I have to think at 43, 44, and 45 years old his bat will just not be Major League quality.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
notjomommasclint said:
i am actually looking forward to nomar hanging them up. only because he is getting further and further away from his glory days. i do hope the retirement drags out a few of his chase cards.

My post was inspired by his upcoming retirement. Hard to believe he's done! A high school friend of mine played rookie ball with him.

VizquelCollector said:
Yes, absolutely. I keep thinking "this is the year" but Omar just keeps playing. In fact, just yesterday there were several articles where Omar's been asked repeatedly how long he'll play and if he'll reach 3K hits. He'd have to play for at least 3 seasons which is pretty unlikely. I'd love to see him still playing but I have to think at 43, 44, and 45 years old his bat will just not be Major League quality.

I bet he sticks around past this year.

sdsportsfan1214

Aug 14, 2008
San Diego
VizquelCollector said:

That would be great to see him stick around. Regardless of getting 3,000 hits the mans got a place in Cooperstown already :D

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
VizquelCollector said:
I keep thinking "this is the year" but Omar just keeps playing.

theplasticman said:
I bet he sticks around past this year.

sdsportsfan1214 said:
That would be great to see him stick around. Regardless of getting 3,000 hits the mans got a place in Cooperstown already

I sure hope you guys are right, although I don't know if my wallet can take many more years of this...

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Although he wasn't my guy, when home state hero Kirby Puckett was forced to retire, it was a VERY sad day :cry:

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
For a lot of player collectors it is more than getting a return on an investment. Many player collectors started their collection due to some form of connection with said player. You watch their games and read the boxes from the games you could not catch. They become part of your life. With that being said yes it is a sad day when your guy retires.

Phish

May 19, 2009
I didn't collect Walker when he retired, but I was a little angry when he did. I wasn't much of a Cards fan, so I was pissed that he didn't go out in Rockies uniform.

CAROLINA BOSOX

Aug 12, 2008
Goose Creek, SC
notjomommasclint said:
i am actually looking forward to nomar hanging them up. only because he is getting further and further away from his glory days. i do hope the retirement drags out a few of his chase cards.

I read on CBS that he signed a one day contract with the Red Sox so he could retire as Red Sox player. This happened yesterday :cry: