Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

nomar to the HOF?

is nomar a hall of famer?

• yes from the writers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Yes

Career:

.313 avg, 229 hr, 936 rbi, .521 slg, 1747 hits.

For a SS, those are impressive numbers.

Imagine if he wouldve been healthy the least 5 years

Comparing Jeter and Nomar, their numbers are nearly identical, with Nomar having less AB

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
HPC said:
Yes

Career:

While I agree that those are good numbers for a SS and that he was a great player, you can't put a guy in the HOF by speculating what he might have done had he been healthy.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I've heard people question whether or not Vladimir Guerrero is a HOFer, and if he isn't how could Nomar get in?

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
HPC said:
Yes

Career:

While I agree that those are good numbers for a SS and that he was a great player, you can't put a guy in the HOF by speculating what he might have done had he been healthy.

I understand about the what-if parts, however

Compare Nomar and Jeter:

Nomar: .313 avg, 229 hr, 936 rbi, .521 slg, 1747 hits, 370 2b, 52 3b, 5586 AB
Jeter: .317 avg, 224hr, 1068, .459 slg, 2747 hits, 438 2b, 58 3b, 8659 AB

Over 3000 less AB than Jeter and still has very identical numbers, apart from hits, however, if you calculate that if Nomar had those extra 3000 AB, he would have nearly the same number of hits as Jeter.

Not to mention, Nomar played on the ****** Boston teams, not their WS teams.

HOF'er in my book.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
HPC said:
Yes

Career:

Comparing Jeter and Nomar, their numbers are nearly identical, with Nomar having less AB
Are those impressive? The position has evolved tremendously on his watch.

His 229 HRs lock him up the #232 spot all-time.
His 1747 hits put him at a whopping #386 all-time.
His RBI total of 936 stands at #316 all-time.

Ok, so where were we? Are those good numbers? Absolutely. They are also absolutely not Hall of Fame numbers.

Comparing him to Jeter is meaningless now. Jeter has played at a higher level longer and has over a handful of World Series rings. Jeter/Nomar circa 2000 was good copy, it's now "Who is Nomar?"

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I would say no, but he had some truly excellent years with Boston. However, baseball has many players who excelled for under ten years. It's a shame he was plagued with injuries, because he was on his way to a HOF career.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
200lbhockeyplayer said:
HPC said:
Yes

Career:

Are those impressive? The position has evolved tremendously on his watch.

His 229 HRs lock him up the #232 spot all-time.
His 1747 hits put him at a whopping #386 all-time.
His RBI total of 936 stands at #316 all-time.

Ok, so where were we? Are those good numbers? Absolutely. They are also absolutely not Hall of Fame numbers.

Comparing him to Jeter is meaningless now. Jeter has played at a higher level longer and has over a handful of World Series rings. Jeter/Nomar circa 2000 was good copy, it's now "Who is Nomar?"

What are the numbers for SS's?... not the history of baseball.

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
You must have a very fat book! I have always been a fan of Nomar's but even I know he hasn't a pray in hell of getting into the HOF - unless you are talking specifically of the Redsox HOF.

HPC said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
HPC said:
Yes

Career:

I understand about the what-if parts, however

Compare Nomar and Jeter:

Nomar: .313 avg, 229 hr, 936 rbi, .521 slg, 1747 hits, 370 2b, 52 3b, 5586 AB
Jeter: .317 avg, 224hr, 1068, .459 slg, 2747 hits, 438 2b, 58 3b, 8659 AB

Over 3000 less AB than Jeter and still has very identical numbers, apart from hits, however, if you calculate that if Nomar had those extra 3000 AB, he would have nearly the same number of hits as Jeter.

Not to mention, Nomar played on the shatty Boston teams, not their WS teams.

HOF'er in my book.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
I'm as big a Nomar fan and supporter as anyone, but with the numbers he put up, he doesn't belong in the MLB HOF. No doubt in my mind that he will be inducted into the Redsox HOF. If he hadn't hurt his wrist, no doubt he would have been able to put up HOF numbers. He will get some votes to stick around on the ballot for awhile I would guess but he will never come close to getting in.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
nyc3 said:
NO NO NO NO
Jeters career isnt over so how can people compare?

Because it is easier to compare two SS's whose careers are identical (aside from WS) than to compare Nomar to Barry Bonds.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Not at the same position, but if Blyleven can't get in (he may in the next year or two), no chance in Hell that Nomar has a chance to get into the HOF, unless he's buying a ticket to attend the ceremony or view the HOF.

AUTaxMan

Nov 25, 2009
Mobile, AL
You should not have to make an argument for the Hall of Fame. HOF worthiness IMO is self-evident. If you have to think about whether or not someone should be in, then they shouldn't. It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Really Good Players.

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
HPC said:
nyc3 said:
NO NO NO NO

Because it is easier to compare two SS's whose careers are identical (aside from WS) than to compare Nomar to Barry Bonds.
They are not identical one is still playing one just retired.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
nyc3 said:
HPC said:
nyc3 said:
NO NO NO NO

They are not identical one is still playing one just retired.

The stats I posted above are very identical.

Im not saying Nomar is better than Jeter, because its not true, im saying comparing them is easy to do because they played the same position, and trying to compare Nomar on the list of every player is pointless.

Of course Jeter will have the better career because he didnt get injured and is still active, but it doesnt take away that nomar had a career very identical to Jeter, aside from the WS rings

Latest posts