Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is "Say Hey Authentication" Legit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

17ROCKIES12

Aug 13, 2008
sayheyhologram.jpg

THECARDFATHER

Dec 27, 2009
17ROCKIES12 said:
I'm asking because I recently bought this for $70
wm16201a.jpg

wm1620e.jpg

I would send to PSA right away. From what I hear, PSA/DNA has been rejecting these recently and will not pass them as authentic.
PSA/DNA used to pass these, but not anymore.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
serving4theking said:
If they are, they aren't doing themselves any favors with their name. It just sounds bush league.

It Willie "Say Hey Kid" Mays' own Foundation for crying out loud! Bush League!?!

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
vwnut13 said:
serving4theking said:
If they are, they aren't doing themselves any favors with their name. It just sounds bush league.

It Willie "Say Hey Kid" Mays' own Foundation for crying out loud! Bush League!?!

No KIdding

How much more authentic do you want than direct from Willie Mays himself. Geez people...not everything is fake!

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Many active and retired players have their own Hologram to use when they conduct official autograph signings.

I think the 'Say Hey' is Willie Mays' hologram - it isn't really an authentication company, but kind of like Mays' seal of approval when it comes to his signed memorabilia.

On the other hand, who knows if there is a possibility - some shady people got a hold of holograms like the Mays' to place on forged memorabilia items and dump onto unsuspecting public through eBay or other sources.

THECARDFATHER

Dec 27, 2009
mchenrycards said:
vwnut13 said:
serving4theking said:

No KIdding

How much more authentic do you want than direct from Willie Mays himself. Geez people...not everything is fake!

Would you change your tune of PSA/DNA failed it?
Submit it to PSA and be prepared to be amazed.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
THECARDFATHER said:
mchenrycards said:
vwnut13 said:
serving4theking said:

No KIdding

PSA has graded fake auto's in the past, what makes you think if they think it's fake that it's fake.. I have read stories where someone will get a player to sign IP and take it to a PSA on-site authentication and they say it's fake..

In the link by MRAK sports, they said Ichiro has a cotract under UDA (Expired) and now he has his own hologram seal that he signs through Millcreek Sportscards near Seattle..

If you are questioning that Mays Auto, contact his company and find out if they sold it.. I have bought from Ironclad Authentics which is Cal Ripkens company.. His Auto's have changed over the years as well as others..

Good luck in your autograph collecting..

THECARDFATHER

Dec 27, 2009
I think most player hologram items are good. I was just sharing that PSA will not pass these anymore. I say this because I know someone that bought 20 16x20's recently with say hey auth and PSA failed all. He had bought over 200 over the prior two years and they passed all. They just started failing these now. Ever wonder why a Mays 16x20 from SAY HEY is only $70 per one a time these days?

mchenrycards

THECARDFATHER said:
mchenrycards said:
vwnut13 said:
serving4theking said:

No KIdding

Would I change my tune if PSA failed it.........Heck no! I have seen PSA fail so many autos that were legit that I would not be surprised at anything they do. I have also seen them authenticate autos that were obvious fakes, such as the infamous Mark McGwire 87 Donruss rookie and the Bo Jackson in book autograph. I have 2 Mays autos I watched him sign in the late 70's and PSA has rejected them. So my faith in PSA with Mays autos is not very good.

PSA only offers an opinion and they are not the be all, end all to autograph authenticity.

THECARDFATHER

Dec 27, 2009
Do you remember B&J COLLECTIBLES? They had Dimaggio under exclusive contract. And guess what, the knowingly sold fake Dimaggio balls. .100% confirmed fact. The exclusive deal merely gave them free reighn to scam customers who thought their exclusive meant they could/would not sell fakes. If you think Say Hey is infallable becasuse they handle distribution of Mays stuff, you are silly.

Also, those in the know have known for years that Green Diamond who handled Ted Williams Stuff has had many,many pieces called into question. Ever wondered why JSA or PSA Williams outsell Green Diamond (run by Williams' run) easily?

Don't ass-u-me. It will cost you.

THECARDFATHER

Dec 27, 2009
mchenrycards said:
THECARDFATHER said:
mchenrycards said:
vwnut13 said:
serving4theking said:

No KIdding

Would I change my tune if PSA failed it.........Heck no! I have seen PSA fail so many autos that were legit that I would not be surprised at anything they do. I have also seen them authenticate autos that were obvious fakes, such as the infamous Mark McGwire 87 Donruss rookie and the Bo Jackson in book autograph. I have 2 Mays autos I watched him sign in the late 70's and PSA has rejected them. So my faith in PSA with Mays autos is not very good.

PSA only offers an opinion and they are not the be all, end all to autograph authenticity.

Ok, but PSA certified autographs outsell every other COA including player COA's. Can you explain this? Ive got some B&J Dimaggio balls I can sell you at $100 each that failed PSA, but came from the company who had the exclusive. Hmmm.

Dec 10, 2008
THECARDFATHER said:
Ok, but PSA certified autographs outsell every other COA including player COA's. Can you explain this? Ive got some B&J Dimaggio balls I can sell you at $100 each that failed PSA, but came from the company who had the exclusive. Hmmm.

Easily. Many of the pieces from the player's COA are cranked out en masse, flooding the market of particular items. It also effects mass produced 3rd party authenticated items as well, most of the time lithos and such. Unique pieces and in lower quantities will bring better money, and those obviously have the only choice of being authenticated by a 3rd party.You also have to figure in PSA/DNA homers like yourself, that have little education on the subject of autograph authentication that will choose PSA over anything, whether it makes sense or not.

mchenrycards

This authenticity argument can go on forever with no conclusion found. Bottom line is do your homework and if you feel comfortable with the auto then buy it. Me personally, I pretty much stick to what I see signed in front of me.

THECARDFATHER

Dec 27, 2009
Ok, when many of these are proven to be counterfeit like B&J's Dimaggio items, I hope youll man up and come on this site and give props where due. I am telling you, many of these Say hey pieces are questionable.

Don't believe at your own peril. You'll see.

THECARDFATHER

Dec 27, 2009
mchenrycards said:
This authenticity argument can go on forever with no conclusion found. Bottom line is do your homework and if you feel comfortable with the auto then buy it. Me personally, I pretty much stick to what I see signed in front of me.

+1 .. In person trumps PSA or any other company. You just have to be willing to pay Willie $275 to sign the same item you think is good at $70. If I wanted a real item, id pay the $275. If you are happy with questions, pay the $70.

Members online

Latest posts