Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sources say Phillies discuss Howard for Pujols swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4994845

Kinda funny actually. If true, that is.

Even though Howard is from STL, Howard doesn't bring the same "name" as Pujols does. And, as far as we know ;), Pujols is younger than Howard. Don't see any reason why the Cardinals wound accept this unless Pujols flat-out says he won't re-sign. And the chances of that are about 1%.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
Howard isnt half the player Pujols is. Im SURE Philly would like to discuss that, though StL execs might have to rest their voices a few days after how hard they laughed when they heard about this.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
andyduke86 said:
LOL I can't believe ESPN actually wrote an article about this.

I agree, haha.

Sounds like something I'd hear on the STLToday message boards.

notoriousrmb

Aug 7, 2008
Above Ground
This was discussed after the Cardinals game today. It was said no one could name a source to this "rumor" and that both the Phillies and Cards have completely denied any discussions on this topic.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
This is so out there it isn't even funny. If the Phillies threw in Utley it might make it a little more balanced. Pujols is flat out the best all around player in baseball in the last 10 years. Howard can't hit LHP, can't hit for average, and isn't nearly as good with the glove as Pujols. Oh and he's a free agent after 2011 just like Pujols. How does this even remotely help the Cardinals?

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Maybe someone was discussing a fantasy baseball trade ? St. Louis won't trade him unless, as Skorris said, he says "No, I will not re-sign with the Cardinals".

ESPN is crap

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
plus why would Howard want to hit in that pathetic Cards lineup? Anyone wonder why Pujols has so many
walks...maybe cause no one else can hit in that lineup.

I think Howard is happy playing in world series rather than trying to win his divison.

oh and I love the "plus Pujols is a better 1st basemen" argument, like 1st base is hard.

carry on

Kevin

blitzerlover

Aug 9, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:
plus why would Howard want to hit in that pathetic Cards lineup? Anyone wonder why Pujols has so many

I think Howard is happy playing in world series rather than trying to win his divison.

oh and I love the "plus Pujols is a better 1st basemen" argument, like 1st base is hard.

carry on

Kevin

Why do you hate Pujols so much? Did he piss in your cheerios or something?

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
schmidtfan20 said:

carry on

Kevin

Have you ever tried to pick a hard skipper out of the dirt? OK, now imagine doing it a couple of times a game, 162+ games a year. Now imagine rarely ever missing one. Until you've done it with the consistency and regularity, you dont know how hard it is.

Jul 30, 2009
In the style of epic posts from the past:
1. Will Laporta be a HOF?
2. Howard>Pujols

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:

carry on

Kevin

LOL.

Pathetic Cardinals lineup? Hahaha.

Schumaker (.300 hitter)
Lopez (.300 hitter)
Pujols (Best player in the game. Period.)
Holliday (.320 30 125 RBI)
Ludwick (.275 25 115 RBI)
Rasmus (Primed for a breakout)
Molina (Very solid contact hitter, .280-.290)
Ryan (Hit .300 last year, likely .280 with fantastic D)
Pitcher

Damn. That's pathetic.

By the way, Pujols had 44 IBB last year. But only 10 after Holliday came over.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
This moronic rumor was also floated out by the Philly radio media about 2 years ago when Philly thought they might have trouble signing Howard long-term.

Not gonna happen... don't even give it a blink.

Members online