Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Day of All Days for a Player Collector - Spring Training

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Got up at 5: 45am and drove to Viera (Nationals Camp) for the Nats vs. Cardinal Game. I got to Viera around 7:45am. The game does not start till 1. Strasburg was set to pitch against Wainwright. Cool right? Too bad i would never make it to the game. As im waiting over on the nationals side of the entrance players start arriving. Zimmerman , Dunn, Livan Hernandez, Adam Kennedy just kept walkin. The only auto i got was from Willie Harris. At this point it is 8:15am and the guy next to me tells me his buddy was at Jupiter and watched the cardinals board the bus. He then told me that Pujols, MCGWIRE, and Holliday did not board it. Now i was stuck in a pickle. McGwire last week did not go on bus to Port St. Lucie for the game against the mets, but showed up during the beginning of the 1st inning. So i did not know whether to stay or go to Jupiter where he was prolly hanging out on the practice fields doing BP. So i stay and wait for the cardinal bus to arrive. It's 10am, the bus arrives, no Albert, No Mac, No Holliday. Wainwright is the only guy who stops and signs, Does 5 then goes in. I look at my dad and say "WERE GOING TO JUPITER ASAP". Arrive at Roger Dean Stadium at 11:45am. I go to the players parking lot, find out where the practice fields are, before i can start walking , i see MCGWIRE in the distance going into the clubhouse with his 2 young kids. I was then told by a guy there he had signed this morning at 10am and signed for about 25 people. DAMMIT!!!! So i say whatever, might as well try for him on his way out. As im waiting i am able to get Bill Parcells on a baseball as he drove into the players lot. Fast forward now till 1:30. I have my 98 Game Used Bat with me, along with a blown up 8x10 of me and Mac from the steiner meet and greet. He gets into his car with his 2 kids, his wife was following in another car behind him. As he approaches the exit, i stand on the side and wave the 8x10 of me and him as he approaches the gate. He sees the picture and slows down, drives up to the exit where im standing, points to me and rolls the window down! I say "Mark, it's the fan club member from NJ" (the line i been saying to him since 89' and he signed for me 95% of the time from 89-01 after i would say this line to him. he remembered me when i met him in 2004 after i told him i was the fan club member from NJ. So i ask him when he rolls the window down, if he can sign my bat, he says sure, as he is signing i tell him i have had his back all these years and hes been my hero since i was 7. He reaches out to shake my hand, after i shake his hand i then ask him if he can also sign the 8x10 he says no problem, he then says thanks for all the support. He then signs for a couple more people and drives away. If i dont wave the 8x10 of me and him in front of his car then he definaltey drives past. Today does not get any better for a MAC Nut like me as for a player collector i can only quote Johnny Drama - VICTORY!! .... And here are the Pics.

MAC on his way out
March14th2010001.jpg

Yours Truly with the goods...
March14th2010002.jpg

1998 GAME USED BAT- FULL SIGNATURE!!!!
March14th2010003.jpg

March14th2010005.jpg

8x10 of Me and Mac

March14th2010007.jpg

And now ill quote Jimi Hendrix as i say "Excuse me while i kiss the sky"

bodiaz

Jan 19, 2009
WOW! I bet you are so excited even still! I can't imagine what I would do if I had that chance with Bonds!

onionring9

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
YES!!!

Congratulations Don, that's great news!! Score two for the auto collection!!!

Members online

Latest posts