Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Spring Training Write-up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
I am just about to return from my spring training trip to Phoenix, and I wanted to share some of the observations and signings that I got.

Game 1 - A's vs. Giants: Adrian Cardenas missed an easy fly ball. Matt Carson mis-judged Schierholtz's fly ball which led to a double. Henry Sosa's pitches were filthy and had nice movement. Brett Anderson was sharp. Zito was also pretty solid. I didn't try to get any autos for this game because I got there kind of late.

Game 2 - A's vs. Dbacks: Gio Gonzalez started and was up and down. He didn't get rocked, but he gave up a HR to Reynolds. Cardenas played but had no hits. Tyson Ross pitched 3 innings and had some control issues but made guys miss when he was on. I think he struck out either 6 or 7 of the outs out of the 9 outs for the innings he pitched. Michael Taylor got in late and scored a run as a pinch runner and then got a hit. I did get autographs during this game and got these guys: Chris Carter, Kevin Kouz, Coco Crisp, Dallas Braden, Tyson Ross, Matt Carson, and Corey Brown.

Game 3 - Brewers vs. Rangers: Lucroy and Josh Hamilton got HR's in this game. Julio Borbon and Andrus were impressive. Esteban German also had a nice double. I didn't really pay much attention to the pitchers. I didn't try to get any autographs.

Game 4 - Giants vs. Indians: LaPorta hit a single and also hit into a double play. He also made a nice diving stop playing 1st. Jonathan Sanchez started and was pretty sharp for a ST game. Buster Posey hit a double to get the game-winning RBI. Velez hit a triple. I got these autographs during and after the game: Bruce Bochy, Brandon Crawford, Darren Ford, Ryan Rohlinger, and Francisco Peguero. Buster signed after the game, but the mass of people rushing him was too much for me. I also bought 2 mystery signed baseballs there and got Orlando Cepeda and Gaylord Perry autographed balls. Bob Feller was also signing there, and he signed an 8x10 for me. Great looking auto and also he inscribed it Yankee Std.

I'll be attending the Angels/Mariners game tomorrow and then heading home. Thanks for the read, and I'll have some pictures for you guys probably on Tuesday night.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Lisa - I'm shocked you didn't run over people to get LaPorta's auto :D

But thanks for sharing your experience. Someday I'll hit up ST in FLA ....

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
Today's game - watched the Angels and Mariners. The Mariners looked stacked with the top of their lineup - Ichiro, Chone, Kotchman, and Milton Bradley. They demolished the Angels - 12-6. The Mariners look like a contending team this year with their pitching and their defense and hitting. I was very impressed. I even got a Milton Bradley autograph on the sweet spot of my ball. He was quiet but signed for quite a while right before the game. I was hoping to get Chone too - but it was a bit of a zoo surrounding him. Scans and pictures to come probably tomorrow.

Members online