Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about 1992 bowman baseball set?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Got some cards in from a seller on sportlots. Now I purchased the cards from the base set but I got foil instead on about 20 of them. I look on beckett and they seem less than clear to me. Are the foil cards actually part of the set? Or are they just a parallel to it? My confusion came from the fact that I am missing 89 cards and between the box I opened and the huge monster box I went through at my local shop, I wasn't able to finish it off. Plus, when I look on beckett, it seems that there are 42 of the foil cards. So are they like inserts or are they a part of the regular set? Are there non foil base cards with the same number? I just figured I'd be able to get closer than this to a finished set before I had to turn to sportlots but now that I think about it, if indeed there are 42 foil cards and indeed they are part of the actual base set, then that cuts what I need to half. It also makes me feel a little less confused since I know why I am missing some of the other cards I am missing(i.e. Hoffman, Mariano rookies).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way...I did find that there are two different #553's. Two completely different players. I haven't seen it listed anywhere in any of my old becketts. Thought that was kind of odd.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Foils are part of the base set. The 1992 Bowman set had forty-five foil cards inserted at a rate of one per wax pack and two per jumbo pack. These foil cards featured past and present Team USA players and minor league POY Award winners.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Okay...so bear with me here guys...

I have about 30 some odd foils laying around here. Am I to believe that I can rightfully include them in my base set and check them off the list then? If so...that would be sweet!

One question though...I could swear, and my mind does slip, that I looked at a foil card and the same player's normal card and that while the photo was different, the card number was not. If I recall correctly, that is what led me to discard these foils either into my player collections or my misc. section of my boxes.

Cool info on the UER. Thanks for that gwynn5453l4u!

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
They are not the same number. Just look at the Manny, for example:

#532 is the Manny Ramirez RC

#676 is the Manny Ramirez FOIL (which is that Minor League POY card...)

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I don't think it is the case where the foil and normal card have different numbers:

http://www.teamsets4u.com/checklist/199 ... owman.html

predatorkj said:
Okay...so bear with me here guys...

I have about 30 some odd foils laying around here. Am I to believe that I can rightfully include them in my base set and check them off the list then? If so...that would be sweet!

One question though...I could swear, and my mind does slip, that I looked at a foil card and the same player's normal card and that while the photo was different, the card number was not. If I recall correctly, that is what led me to discard these foils either into my player collections or my misc. section of my boxes.

Cool info on the UER. Thanks for that gwynn5453l4u!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Hell...maybe I was just extra tired that night after sifting through everything. In any case...thanks a lot for the help guys!!!!

Jul 30, 2009
Also note that the Manny foil (maybe other foils too?) comes in 2 variations. Both variations are only slight photo cropping differences (easy to tell by looking at his foot) but needed for a master set if you choose so (and it doesnt sell for anything more).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts