Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Birthday box ideas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Hey guys,

My 23rd birthday is April 14, and I'm contemplating a decent inexpensive box or two to get for my birthday. I would prefer to spend $75-80 total.

I have never been a "prospector", but in the same sense wouldn't mind the chance to pull a few good young star 1st year/rookie cards.

Any suggestions?

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
Glenlivet_12yo.jpg

Technically, it does come in a box. You'd also have money left over to buy a nice single! :lol:

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
GarkoCollector said:
Bowman Draft or Bowman Chrome. 50-55 or less per box and guaranteed 1 chrome prospect auto per box

I've considered either of the two. As out of the loop on the young guys as I am, which year is preferable?

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
ffgameman said:
GarkoCollector said:
Bowman Draft or Bowman Chrome. 50-55 or less per box and guaranteed 1 chrome prospect auto per box

I've considered either of the two. As out of the loop on the young guys as I am, which year is preferable?

Oh the comments that can be made on this sentence alone would be price-less. :lol:

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
ffgameman said:
GarkoCollector said:

Depends on what type of players you're into.
2007 Chrome features autos of Lincecum and Joba Chamberlain, along with Fernando Martinez and others (I think Chris Coghlan too).
2007 Draft features a weak autograph checklist but a strong base chrome checklist with guys like Jason Heyward, Madison Bumgarner, Mike Moustakas, David Price, Freddie Freeman, and other guys like Julio Borbon, Tim Lincecum, Joba Chamberlain, and more.
2008 Bowman is a good product. It features a VERY strong autograph checklist (one chrome auto per box) of guys like: Jason Heyward, Josh Vitters, Madison Bumgarner, David Price, Julio Borbon, Jarrod Parker, and others. Base checklist isn't too great, and there are some very suckish autos. Pull a Heyward, sell it and buy a few more boxes. lol.
2008 Draft has a STELLAR autograph checklist: Buster Posey, Mike Stanton, Jesus Montero, Ike Davis, Lonnie Chisenhall, Josh Reddick, Mike Montgomery, and more. Also features one or two AFLAC autographs per case of guys like Jason Heyward, Blake Beavan, Madison Bumgarner, Josh Vitters, and more.
2009 Bowman Chrome has a pretty good base checklist with guys like Matt Moore, Neftali Feliz, Starlin Castro, Oscar Tejada, and others while Logan Morrison is pretty much the highlight of the autograph checklist. I wouldn't buy this product.
2009 Bowman Draft, though, is a decent product for the price. Lots of solid autographs like: Tyler Matzek, Mike Trout, Tony "Dirty" Sanchez, Randal Grichuk, Bobby Borchering, Zach Wheeler, Tim Wheeler, and more. The base chrome checklist isn't too hot though.

Just my opinions and advice.
Ant

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Thanks for the advice Ant.

I'll look at prices on those from DA Card World (where I usually shop). I think I'll also check out Donruss Elite/Threads over the last few years.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Is 2008 Bowman Chrome a good gamble for $45?

Keep in mind I would likely be only getting one base of this something else, not several boxes. I noticed several names on the checklist that I (as a non-prospector) recognize - Heyward, Bumgarner, Vitters, Laporta, Price, Moustakas, Anderson, etc. But, like Ant said I do see a good number of duds.

Please forgive the ignorance of a non-prospector like me. :lol:

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
I'm still debating this.

Not exactly the prospect route, but a few ideas:

Almost certain
2008 Just Minors Mystery Ball - $30 (nice checklist)

Debating
2007 UD Masterpieces (3 GU, 1 AU, bordered parallels) - $50 on DA
2008 UD Masterpiece (1 GU, 1 AU, few bordered parallels) - $40 DA, $30 Blowout
2004 UD SP Prospects (5 AU) - $55 Blowout
2007 UD Future Stars (4 AU) - $40-50 depending on Blowout or DA

And I'm still looking at more on Blowout. Dave and Adam's Card World is usually my go-to hobby store, but Blowout has them beat in many prices right now.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
aminors said:
ffgameman said:
aminors said:
I'd definitely pick up a box of 07 Masterpieces. One of the nicest sets ever.

Ant

I am leaning in that direction, although 04 SP Prospects has me intrigued.

Too many awful autos. WAY too many.

Ant

Ah, muchos gracias for that advice.

I felt intrigued by 07 Co-Signers until I saw the glut of horrible duals on eBay.

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
I am TOO indecisive!

I was leaning toward 2007 UD Masterpieces, until I saw the three big autographs (Griffey, Jeter, Ripken) are all redemptions which have expired.

2008 UD Masterpieces is $10 cheaper and doesn't appear to have as many redemptions (and they aren't expired) but you get two less GU and less parallels per box.

2007 Sweet Spot is intriguing for $45, but again redemptions are an issue. Plus, wasn't 2007 SS prone to fading?

ffgameman

Aug 7, 2008
Kentucky
Mr. Indecisive strikes again!

I'm going with a box I previously had not given much attention:

2009 Topps Chrome

2 rookie autographs, several refractors, and only $51.

Members online

Latest posts