Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Way to fix patch faking...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
Cant the card companies do something like A and G and put a protecting plastic film over the patch or something??? Or the patch in in such a way that removal would cause major damage? I think something needs to be done...any ideas?

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
I've always wondered why the companies can't just put an individualized serial number on every jersey/patch/whatever gu card which can be checked with a gallery on their websites showing the exact card as it leaves the factory.

The serial code would have to be on the front of the card; that way, potential bidders on ebay could check out the card on the company website before purchase to make sure it was legitimate.

Sure, a lot of people wouldn't go to the bother of checking each time before purchase, but at least they would have a chance to make sure they were buying the real McCoy.

I know it would cost a fair amount of money for the companies to do this, but it would go a long way to helping the collector feel that they weren't getting cheated.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
The scan idea would be nice, but for the same price, they could just go the BGS slabbing route, and remove the problem all together. I doubt I would have bought my 2 Ted Williams patch piece cards if they weren't slabbed by Playoff and BGS before they ever hit the market.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
JackLondon said:
I know it would cost a fair amount of money for the companies to do this, but it would go a long way to helping the collector feel that they weren't getting cheated.

Thats the reason they don't. They make no money from the sale on ebay, so it's not really a good business strategy. The collectors/distributors are buying the unopened wax from them, what do they care if someone comes along a month later and fakes a patch....they've been paid.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Fandruw25 said:
JackLondon said:

Thats the reason they don't. They make no money from the sale on ebay, so it's not really a good business strategy. The collectors/distributors are buying the unopened wax from them, what do they care if someone comes along a month later and fakes a patch....they've been paid.

Yep, that is the ultimate reason. It's a shame, though.

studioclint

Aug 10, 2008
Chicago
Fandruw25 said:
JackLondon said:

I disagree with this. If a company had scans of every patch card it would help wax sales. If a buyer could see the insane patch cards that are in the product I am sure it would ignite wax sales. On the other hand if all the patches sucked then it might hurt sales.

shanks25

Aug 7, 2008
JackLondon said:
MojoDan said:
A small pic of the patch used on the reverse side would be nice...

Excellent (and cheap) idea, Dan! :)

Some card companies used to do this.

I'm collecting the 2000 Fleer Club 3000 set (see sig). The set consists of base, bat, jersey, bat/jersey, hat, and bat/hat/jersey cards. On the reverse of each card are pictures of the ACTUAL memorabilia pieces used to make the card.....

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
why would the companies change this now? Its not like people aren't buying this junk because of the faking
problem. This is aftermarket issues, they don't care about that. Look at ultimate baseball, if collectors are
eating that stuff up at 115+ per pack, why would they care about patch faking....or putting autographs
in products, when people are ok with this seemingly endless supply of patch cards?

Kevin

JVC

Aug 24, 2008
Boston
MojoDan said:

This might actually be more expensive for the card companies to do since it would force them to create a new set of printing plates for every patch variation of the card. Instead of having two sets of plates (one for the front of the card and one for the back) they would have to have hundreds or thousands of plates to accomodate all of the different patch pictures for the back of the cards. The 3000 clob memorabilia cards were much easier in that they could use the same plates for all of a certain players' cards in the set.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
JVC said:
MojoDan said:

This might actually be more expensive for the card companies to do since it would force them to create a new set of printing plates for every patch variation of the card. Instead of having two sets of plates (one for the front of the card and one for the back) they would have to have hundreds or thousands of plates to accomodate all of the different patch pictures for the back of the cards. The 3000 clob memorabilia cards were much easier in that they could use the same plates for all of a certain players' cards in the set.

Somebody was showing off a... I know, I know... a Bikini card. It was a model on the card and included a piece of used bikini. Anybody remember that? On the back of the card they had a picture of the bikini used, and each card had a square in a different place on the picture to show where the swatch used in that card came from. So if the bikini piece on the front has a Nike Swoosh, there is a square on the picture on the back around the Nike Swoosh. I hope that made sense. :oops: :lol: I'm not sure how this low budget bikini card company was able to pull it off, but it can be done...

lordsepic

Aug 9, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:
why would the companies change this now? Its not like people aren't buying this junk because of the faking
problem. This is aftermarket issues, they don't care about that. Look at ultimate baseball, if collectors are
eating that stuff up at 115+ per pack, why would they care about patch faking....or putting autographs
in products, when people are ok with this seemingly endless supply of patch cards?

Kevin

As a company they should worry about people making money by faking their items. To say a company shouldn't care about what happens after the sale is silly. If collectors are turned off by something they could fix...they should damn well try to fix it... It would bring them more sales long run... and I don't believe any products are SELLING OUT, so they have room to do better

Groat

Feb 7, 2009
This year's UD black football set had a subset called Luminous Materials. Though you can't tell from the scan, you can see right through the autograph 'window' because the card is made of plastic with cardboard sandwiched between it. This means that the patches are covered up by plastic, and the only way a faker would be able to get to them would be to cut the card in half. I think that this is the easiest solution to curb patch faking: Cover all patch cards in a thin sheet of plastic.
portis87.png

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Easy solution. You hire a college kid, pay him minimum wage, and have him scan every card with a patch and put it into a database. You wouldn't have any issue finding some college kid looking for a job, whether they are in or have graduated. You make sure they don't have a criminal record, and just check their pockets and such every time they leave so that they don't steal anything.

It would be an additional cost to the card companies, and I know they really don't care what happens to their stuff once its sold to their distributors but maybe they can have some respect for what happens to their stuff once it leaves their company.

ajw

Jan 27, 2009
New York, NY
Groat said:
This year's UD black football set had a subset called Luminous Materials. Though you can't tell from the scan, you can see right through the autograph 'window' because the card is made of plastic with cardboard sandwiched between it. This means that the patches are covered up by plastic, and the only way a faker would be able to get to them would be to cut the card in half. I think that this is the easiest solution to curb patch faking: Cover all patch cards in a thin sheet of plastic.
portis87.png

I haven't seen a card like that in person, but I really like seeing and feeling the patch cards. I'm not sure I'd like the "covered in plastic" strategy, though it might work. I strongly support the "hire a college kid to scan" strategy, however.