Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mail: Logoman, 3 bats, cleats, other stuff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
At home for a couple days, and finally opened all my mail from the past three months. Probably had about 50 packages; took forever to open it all and dispose of the wrappings. Here are the highlights:

2002 SAM Bat. The earliest Gomes bat I've seen by two years (have a couple 2004 bats), presumably from his time at AA Bakersfield. The bat also has Gomes' early (2001-mid 2003) autograph, which is very hard to find. An awesome bat, and my favourite one.

02SAMBat.jpg

02SAMBatname.jpg

2005 SSK Bat:

05SSKBat.jpg

05SSKBatbarreltop.jpg

2008 SAM Bat. Bought directly from the Rays, now if only I could get their Gomes jerseys...

08SAMBat.jpg

08SAMBatbarreltop.jpg

2005 cleats, signed "Game used Rookie year". The right cleat (third photo, top) still has dirt, grass and the rubbery pellets put in artificial turf, such as at Tropicana. Not sure if the grass is also fake, or from a natural field.

05Cleatsside.jpg

05Cleatstop.jpg

05Cleatsbottom.jpg

Cards:

Two 2009 Diaz cards pull me up to 94/100 (98/139, 71%) with 1/1s.

Joey Gomes 2003 Topps Black 32/52. Now at 66/77 (86%), 68/97 (70%) with 1/1s. One card is incoming.

03-23.jpg

Jonny Gomes:

2005 Topps Total Jonny Gomes/James Houser, double signed. I sent one of these to Gomes a couple years ago, who sent it back within days, signed. Sending it next to Houser, it was never returned. This copy I bought on eBay for $6 shipped.

05-31.jpg

Completed the 2009 Topps 206 run:

09-12.jpg
09-13.jpg
09-14.jpg09-15.jpg09-16.jpg09-17.jpg
Piedmont............................Polar Bear.........................Old Mill.............................Cycle 95/99

And this. And yes, I noticed.

09-29.jpg

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
The first thing that ran through my mind when I read all the responses was how many of you have outstanding player collections yourselves. It always feels self-indulgent posting my mail, but, conversely, one of my favourite things on this board is browsing through other player collectors mail posts, including many of yours.

aminors: Thanks! Yeah, I'm glad Gomes finally got an MLB logo. I really like the design of the top half of that card, although the bottom leaves something to be desired. And yes, as soon as I saw that bat, I knew I had to have it; the night the auction (Historic Auctions) ended, I was bidding from the ER by phone with a temperature of 105.5.

Thumpersports: Thanks Spencer! There's something really cool about having a pair of cleats. In a sense, a jersey is just a shirt, and they don't usually show too much wear. These, on the other hand, have dozens of components, and really do show how they were used (the dirt/grass/rubber on the bottom, significant rubbing on one of the toes, wear inside, etc.). Now, if only I could find nine new Gomes autos...

theplasticman: Thanks you!

jarcar: Thanks!

tramers: I have a couple of the 2007 DAV cards, but could use a second 2008---just missing 12 cards for a second set of 2008s. What do you want for it?

ffgameman: Thank you! Topps Unique was a clearing house of old inventory, including old uniforms and those of players who had since signed with different teams. When they used jerseys from those old teams, they generally used pictures of the players with said teams, and put the name of that team under the player's name (example: Teixeira with the Rangers); here, the MLB logo being from a Devil Rays jersey, they put the former team name on the card as well.

However, I don't think Topps would put "Albert Puhols" on any card...

r2d2

Aug 24, 2008
Mexico City
I know how fun and sometimes tiring can be the arrival at home to open some mail. And about the quality, I've been beaten to the compliments, everything is covered for.
I'll be checking mine next saturday =)

Members online