Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Fantasy Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Hey guys. Sorry for making another of these threads, but I need some help from my boys at the FCB.

I can only keep 3 of following 4 players:

Ryan Howard
Hanley Ramirez
Ryan Braun
Tim Lincecum

My league is a 12 team keeper with H2H scoring in these categories:

R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, SV, K, HLD, ERA and WHIP

I'm for certain I want to keep Hanley and Braun, but am seriously debating Howard vs Timmy. Howard brings the HR, but drags the AVG down. And Timmy is just, well, Timmy.

Any help is appreciated.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
I'd go Howard. But that's just me.

And how do you have 4 of the top 12 or so overall players on your squad :shock:

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
55_marlins_sp said:
I'd go Howard. But that's just me.

And how do you have 4 of the top 12 or so overall players on your squad :shock:
I drafted everyone besides Braun. I picked him up when he got first got called up. One of the best wire pick ups I've ever made. Thank you guys for the assistance.

Mike

chrome_ball

Aug 7, 2008
Michigan
The one thing I would consider when making this decision is that the hitters can all contribute to all six stat categories. However, Lincecum can only contribute to four of the pitching categories since he will not get and saves or holds.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
chrome_ball said:
The one thing I would consider when making this decision is that the hitters can all contribute to all six stat categories. However, Lincecum can only contribute to four of the pitching categories since he will not get and saves or holds.

I don't see your point. Howard doesn't hit for average and he doesn't steal bases. That makes him a four category performer as well.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Definitely drop Howard.

Braun hits for avg, power, can steal and knock in RBI's.

Howard's plus is his power.

Keep:

Hanley
Lincecum
Braun

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
pujolsjunkie said:
chrome_ball said:

I don't see your point. Howard doesn't hit for average and he doesn't steal bases. That makes him a four category performer as well.

I ended up keeping Lincecum and dropping Howard. He's almost falling into Adam Dunn territory with his BA. Since he hit 300+ in 2006 he's dropped in 2007 and hit a career low (thus far) of .251 in 2008. Of course, it was up to .279 last year. Even if one of my pitchers dies on the mound I'll have 1 or 2 starts from Timmy to keep the ERA and WHIP at competitive levels plus a good 9-10 K's/game. As much as I love The Big Dog he always drags my BA down. If my league was still scoring TB then it would almost be a no brainer to keep Howard over Lincy. If I draft smart I can get another 25-35 HR guy to take his spot, but will also be looking at someone with a higher BA. But I can't get another Timmy.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Labratt21 said:
pujolsjunkie said:
chrome_ball said:

I ended up keeping Lincecum and dropping Howard. He's almost falling into Adam Dunn territory with his BA. Since he hit 300+ in 2006 he's dropped in 2007 and hit a career low (thus far) of .251 in 2008. Of course, it was up to .279 last year. Even if one of my pitchers dies on the mound I'll have 1 or 2 starts from Timmy to keep the ERA and WHIP at competitive levels plus a good 9-10 K's/game. As much as I love The Big Dog he always drags my BA down. If my league was still scoring TB then it would almost be a no brainer to keep Howard over Lincy. If I draft smart I can get another 25-35 HR guy to take his spot, but will also be looking at someone with a higher BA. But I can't get another Timmy.

Yup.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I would drop Braun. Howard's HRs and rbis are to valuable to get rid of. Plus his OBS is pretty equal to Braun's

Hanley is a given, and Lincecum is one of it not the top SP in fantasy league.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Huffamaniac said:
I would drop Braun. Howard's HRs and rbis are to valuable to get rid of. Plus his OBS is pretty equal to Braun's

His K's also negate the fact he hits 40Hr.

Braun will hit 25-35 and with a higher avg with less K's.

Easy pick of Braun over Howard for Fantasy

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
K's for hitters is not a category in fantasy

HPC said:
Huffamaniac said:

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Huffamaniac said:

HPC said:
Huffamaniac said:

It is in some leagues.

In mine, it's -1 point for every K

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
1. HANLEY RAMIREZ
2. RYAN BRAUN
3. RYAN HOWARD
4. TIM LINCECUM (mark my words he will be hurt 3/4 of the year) Too wirey and his deliver is putting too much pressure on the elbow.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
securedsports said:
4. TIM LINCECUM (mark my words he will be hurt 3/4 of the year) Too wirey and his deliver is putting too much pressure on the elbow.

People said that the last 2 seasons.

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
This is the categories for the league in question

"My league is a 12 team keeper with H2H scoring in these categories:

R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, SV, K, HLD, ERA and WHIP"

In this league Howard is more valuable because he has enormous power and run producing ability and his OBS because of all of his walk offsets his BA

HPC said:
Huffamaniac said:

HPC said:
Huffamaniac said:

It is in some leagues.

In mine, it's -1 point for every K

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
HPC said:
securedsports said:

People said that the last 2 seasons.

And they were wrong then, just like this guy is wrong now. Ignorance is bliss I guess. People see an unusual delivery and automatically think different = bad. Not in this case. Lincecum uses his entire body in his delivery. Other pitchers could learn a lot from that. There isn't too much pressure on anything. Do some research.

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Before answering, my first question would be- Is there a maximum add/drop transaction limit? Because in H2H league's if there is not a transaction limit then Starting Pitcher's are less valuable (due to streaming)... Sure many might not like this practice but if you get into a league with no add/drop limits or inning max's then you're to blame for allowing this technique to take place (& I say technique because it is not only about adding & dropping SP's...if you don't do it correctly you can do more damage than good). In a H2H league w/no transaction limits Lincecum is no where near as valuable as R.Howard (as Lincecum is indeed an elite talent but he may pitch once a week where Howard is an elite talent whom will produce everyday...not to mention the fact that Lincecum 1 start would definitely not hold a candle to that SP position filled with 5-7 SP starts when streaming).

I just wanted to bring this to light because while many may not agree with streaming, it does happen rather often in H2H league's & if you are in such a league your better value would be to keep Howard over Lincecum.

Take care & Good Luck! :D

Members online

Latest posts