Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cheapest way to ship 10 card BGS order with $6500 insurance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Title says it all. Shipping is going to be a killer and was wondering if someone knew the cheapest way (I have not found an easy way to find out through the internet.) It's a 10 card order and the box weighs about 1.5 pounds.

Thanks!!

Be8el0ve

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
I had the same problem a few weeks ago and the cheapest route for me was to send it registered mail with DC. If you try and just insure the package with DC its going to cost you over $40. With registered mail it cost me $27 with $5,800 insurance shipped from NJ.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
leatherman said:
USPS Registered Mail.

You need to use the woven fiberglass water-activated tape and seal ALL edges of the package. Then take it to the post office.

David
Thanks a lot!!

Is the tape something I can buy at the post office?

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
leatherman said:
Topnotchsy said:
leatherman said:
USPS Registered Mail.

You need to use the woven fiberglass water-activated tape and seal ALL edges of the package. Then take it to the post office.

David
Thanks a lot!!

Is the tape something I can buy at the post office?

Doubt if they have it at the PO, but Staples has their own brand: http://www.staples.com/Staples-Standard ... uct_468231
Darn, no time to get to Staples today. Is there anything else I can use? I assume the purpose to to ensure that rain can not damage the cards. All the big cards are already graded by either BGS, PSA or SCG...

mwheeler27

Mar 6, 2009
I ship many expensive items. The maximum per package is $25,000 using registered mail. Every time I ship, I use the post office's tape, scissors, and water. The first couple of times, the postal workers did it for me. After that, they let me do it using their supplies. It cost me nothing extra to use their stuff. (I have done this at 3 different post offices, and they are always happy to hand me their supplies as if that's how it's done). I'd check with the post office first before buying your own supplies, especially if this might be a once in a blue moon mailing.

I am a regular there, so perhaps that's just a curtesy. I just assumed they allowed everyone to use their tape. After all, that's what it's there for right?

Also, not only is it cheaper to insure items with registered mail, the maximum amount you can insure a priority package is $5000. Priority almost always gets there faster, but registered gets there safer. It's under lock and key the entire way.

Good luck with the shipping and your grades!

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
mwheeler27 said:
I ship many expensive items. The maximum per package is $25,000 using registered mail. Every time I ship, I use the post office's tape, scissors, and water. The first couple of times, the postal workers did it for me. After that, they let me do it using their supplies. It cost me nothing extra to use their stuff. (I have done this at 3 different post offices, and they are always happy to hand me their supplies as if that's how it's done). I'd check with the post office first before buying your own supplies, especially if this might be a once in a blue moon mailing.

I am a regular there, so perhaps that's just a curtesy. I just assumed they allowed everyone to use their tape. After all, that's what it's there for right?

Also, not only is it cheaper to insure items with registered mail, the maximum amount you can insure a priority package is $5000. Priority almost always gets there faster, but registered gets there safer. It's under lock and key the entire way.

Thanks!! In my local Post Office they now charge for tape (based on what they indicated it sounded like this was now standard policy, but who knows. Last time I was there I had to pay like $4 for a basic role on packing tape. I ended up leaving it there for the next people to use.)

lisu said:
I'd use FedEx ground.

Do you know what the price for FedEx ground would be?

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Topnotchsy said:
I assume the purpose to to ensure that rain can not damage the cards.

No.

As part of their security measure for registered mail, they use a circular, dated stamp and stamp all of the edges of the tape, so that both the tape AND the package (which must be a paper surfaced package...any cardboard is fine) take the seal. They do this on all 6 sides of the package, everywhere that the tape is applied. That way, the tape cannot be removed by anyone attempting to tamper with the package. You cannot use clear tape, but really any gummed paper tape would work.

David

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
leatherman said:
Topnotchsy said:
I assume the purpose to to ensure that rain can not damage the cards.

No.

As part of their security measure for registered mail, they use a circular, dated stamp and stamp all of the edges of the tape, so that both the tape AND the package (which must be a paper surfaced package...any cardboard is fine) take the seal. They do this on all 6 sides of the package, everywhere that the tape is applied. That way, the tape cannot be removed by anyone attempting to tamper with the package. You cannot use clear tape, but really any gummed paper tape would work.

David
Who knew...

Thanks for the info.

bricewaynebisel

Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
I would never ship FedEx ground. Worked there for a couple months with some other baseball players and they were always firing people for stealing packages. My dad is a coin dealer and he shipped some gold bullion for around 25k or so that arrived at the destination with the package basically cut open and empty. I'd go the Post Office route, if for no other reason that I feel the screening of their employees is probably a little better than some of the people I'd see at work.

hofautos

Aug 29, 2008
mwheeler27 said:

they always package and tape up for me at my post office. dont do it that often, but every time i have they have done the packaging and taping for me.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
Crash Davis said:
EricInCT said:
Ship it overnight with 100 of insurance for 25.

If the item gets lost, you're out $6400.

Smart.

Last BGS order I shipped it was 1000s and it arrived safe and sound without a penny of insurance, have a little faith.

I just received a registered mail order that took 8 days to get here and cost me 40.

I have never lost anything sending it overnight.

mwheeler27

Mar 6, 2009
Topnotchsy said:
Thanks!! In my local Post Office they now charge for tape (based on what they indicated it sounded like this was now standard policy, but who knows. Last time I was there I had to pay like $4 for a basic role on packing tape. I ended up leaving it there for the next people to use.)

I could definitely be wrong, but if you took a package to your post office and told them you needed to send it registered with $6500 insurance, they would do all the work for you as far as taping goes, and they won't charge you a dime. This isn't normal mailing tape, and the post office doesn't assume customers know how to tape registered mail appropriately. You'll know what I mean when you watch them with their date stamper. Just make sure you don't have any tape on the package when you take it to them, because if it's not the right kind, they'll ask you to remove it.

Because of the cost, I now drive all my shipments to BGS. When I have one shipment done, I take another there and exchange it with the last order that's now done. It's much cheaper, but I only live 8 hours away.

mwheeler27

Mar 6, 2009
bricewaynebisel said:
I would never ship FedEx ground. Worked there for a couple months with some other baseball players and they were always firing people for stealing packages. My dad is a coin dealer and he shipped some gold bullion for around 25k or so that arrived at the destination with the package basically cut open and empty. I'd go the Post Office route, if for no other reason that I feel the screening of their employees is probably a little better than some of the people I'd see at work.

Plus...it's a federal offense to steal from the postal system and not with FedEx and UPS. The temptation is no where near as high with postal mail and it's employees.

bricewaynebisel

Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
mwheeler27 said:
bricewaynebisel said:

Plus...it's a federal offense to steal from the postal system and not with FedEx and UPS. The temptation is no where near as high with postal mail and it's employees.

Very true. I have no idea what ever happened to those kids that were doing it at FedEx, I just know from working there that it was going on, because they kept questioning people and then firing people.