Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yu Darvish Softens His Stance on Playing Major League Ball

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
http://www.freedomcardboard.com/?p=538

Japanese Ace Yu Darvish has been called the most coveted international arm, and has MLB teams itching to sign him. Until recently he has always taken a firm stance on playing in the States saying that it wasn’t something that interested him.

In a recent interview with a Nippon newspaper, Yu seemed more open to the idea exploring his MLB free agent opportunities.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I was just watching Darvish videos on YouTube yesterday, longingly. The M's would have to be in on him, especially if he becomes available around, or at the end of Ichiro's deal.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Just a ploy...

By him announcing he is 'open to the idea', it means that his home teams are going to have to cough up more dough to keep him, or atleast thats the plan. I still think there is zero chance he plays MLB in the states, zero.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
matfanofold said:
Just a ploy...

By him announcing he is 'open to the idea', it means that his home teams are going to have to cough up more dough to keep him, or atleast thats the plan. I still think there is zero chance he plays MLB in the states, zero.

I hope you are wrong.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
matfanofold said:
Just a ploy...

You say that, but with the M's being owned by Nintendo.. I could see him coming to Seattle..

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
I hope I'm wrong to, as he is electric to watch! But I just have this sinking feeling it's a Boras type move to extort as much money as possible.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
Since Ichiro, how many of the elite Japanese players haven't come over here once their obligation to the NPB has been fulfilled? There's probably been some, but Darvish would likely get the biggest deal ever for an international free agent. He's making about $6 million I think, the highest paid pitcher in the league, he'd likely double that over here, not to mention the posting fee his team would get.

MarlinsManiac20

Mar 14, 2010
I'm sick of these Japanese players who are legends in Japan (ect. Dice-K, Kaz Matsui to name the m most recent.) They are all busts and fall under the hype. Name me the last successful crossover other than Ichiro.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
MarlinsManiac20 said:
I'm sick of these Japanese players who are legends in Japan (ect. Dice-K, Kaz Matsui to name the m most recent.) They are all busts and fall under the hype. Name me the last successful crossover other than Ichiro.

Darvish has done exceedingly well in international competition. Japanese baseball is different than it was when Hideki Irabu dominated it. The gap between the talent level of the two leagues is slowly closing, and as that happens players should translate from one league to the other with more success.

Also, I would call Chin-Ming ****, Matzusaka, and Hideki Matsui pretty darn successful.

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Kazuhiro Sasaki was successful while he was here.

MarlinsManiac20 said:

daveyou

Aug 7, 2008
Queens, NY
MarlinsManiac20 said:

tsyoshi shinjo will always be my 2nd favorite

dave

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Sean_C said:
Kazuhiro Sasaki was successful while he was here.

MarlinsManiac20 said:
Beat me too it.

Dice-K had two solid years, (1 cy young caliber year) then got injured...

If he comes over i'm gonna regret selling my yu darvish red ref :(

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
It seems that this may be fueling some interest on the bay with some BIN's getting hit and prices of parallels appear to be climbing quickly. I haven't looked at his stuff in a while but I was seeing his first Bowman Chrome WBC Gold Refractors sit much lower than they are now with time left.

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
Say he decides to play in the bigs, I would hope the Jays go after him. The size of the asian population in Toronto is remarkable it would be an amazing business decision for this organization and I think we could easily get a crap load more fans in the stands

Members online

Latest posts