Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts/question on cut autos.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XdanX

Aug 7, 2008
Now let me start by saying ive never purchased a cut before, the only cuts I've owned are ones I've been lucky enough to pull. Now I just bought my first cut off of ebay for a whopping 39.99, now at that price you may be thinking the player cant be too great. Well in this case its Johnny Mize 15/15 now why is a player of his caliber so cheap ? Is it cause he signed a lot when he was alive or is there just no interest in him ?

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
XdanX said:
Now let me start by saying ive never purchased a cut before, the only cuts I've owned are ones I've been lucky enough to pull. Now I just bought my first cut off of ebay for a whopping 39.99, now at that price you may be thinking the player cant be too great. Well in this case its Johnny Mize 15/15 now why is a player of his caliber so cheap ? Is it cause he signed a lot when he was alive or is there just no interest in him ?

I am not crazy about cuts and when i get them, its normally to trade. i would rather have a Perez-Steele slabbed over a cut every day of the week...

Billy Packer

Aug 7, 2008
XdanX said:

I think you hit on it - there are a lot of Mize signatures around and he's appeared in just about every cut set since they started making them. Warren Spahn is another good example of this - one of the all-time greats whose autos (including cuts) can be had for next to nothing.

Secondly, the market in general is obviously pretty soft for all but the biggest names and hottest products in this economy. There are lots of deals to be had out there. That being said however, it's still a great addition to your collection - congrats!

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
phillyfan0417 said:
XdanX said:

I am not crazy about cuts and when i get them, its normally to trade. i would rather have a Perez-Steele slabbed over a cut every day of the week...

This.

Most of the time the cut looks awful because they cut off the entire name. Check out some of the franken-Mantle-cuts from Topps. I'm not going to buy an ickey Mant auto for $1000. The Perez-Steele's are awesome and they're usually a fraction of the price a cut would go for. I got a Ted Williams for $250 and it's glorious.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
Also, same $39 buys this

17422947294b072462071a4.jpg

brouthercard

Jan 15, 2009
There is nothing special about cut autos in cards except for the fact that they've been "authenticated" by the company that produced them, and some people actually go or sets.

When it comes down to it, it is cheaper to purchase cut autos that are not produced by the card companies.

Just because it's a cut auto doesn't make it valuable, unless it's from a landmark set.

There are now so many produced cut auto cards on the market, the novelty is gone.

You need to base value for a cut auto card on the rarity and quality of the auto, and not just on the card itself.

Members online

Latest posts