Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

All Teams to be in Arizona for Spring Training?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Just thinking about this.

Ther Dbacks and Rockies are leaving Tucson for Scottsdale beginning next season.

It's just a matter of time before all teams are here for spring training.

Unlike Florida, where each stadium can be 1 to 2 hours away, here, want to see the A's play the Brewers in Maryvale, then drive 20 minutes to Tempe to see the Angels play, then drive back 30 minutes to Goodyear to see the Reds and Indians play?

You could theoretically catch 3 games in one day at 3 different parks.

I'd say within the next 10-15 years, all teams will integrate here. And there is plenty of space for parks and teams to accomodate.

Erich

Aug 26, 2008
Anywhere Delta goes.
HPC said:

Ther Dbacks and Rockies are leaving Tucson for Scottsdale beginning next season.

Unlike Florida, where each stadium can be 1 to 2 hours away, here, want to see the A's play the Brewers in Maryvale, then drive 20 minutes to Tempe to see the Angels play, then drive back 30 minutes to Goodyear to see the Reds and Indians play?

I'd say within the next 10-15 years, all teams will integrate here. And there is plenty of space for parks and teams to accomodate.

There is no way in hell that Florida will let those teams leave. That is a major part of their economy.

UMich92

Sep 18, 2008
Erich said:
HPC said:

There is no way in hell that Florida will let those teams leave. That is a major part of their economy.

I'll second that. Also, there is far too big of a connection between the east coast population and Florida for the owners of those teams to consider leaving Florida for Arizona.

Alex

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
A lot of players and I mean a lot, love the fact that they have spring training in Florida because for many that live in Florida, it means they get to spend more time with their families. Hell Johnny Damon wouldn't even consider a team this spring who didn't practice in Florida. Griffey was another player that always wanted to spend more time with his family while in Florida.

Don't see this one happening.

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
Erich said:
HPC said:

Not only that, there's no way in hell some TEAMS would let that happen...especially a team like the Yankees. If I'm not mistaken, they OWN their stadium and I believe the street it's on is named after Steinbrenner. Also, why would an East Coast team want to travel to Arizona for spring training, when Florida is MUCH closer?

On top of that, you think there are going to be 30 stadiums in Arizona that will just sit vacant for 11 months of the year? I believe many stadiums in Florida are also Minor League facilities.

And lastly, your example lists teams going from Tucson to Scottsdale...you do know that is Arizona to Arizona?? So I'm not sure how that logic says "all teams will be in Arizona".

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Sly said:
Erich said:
HPC said:

And lastly, your example lists teams going from Tucson to Scottsdale...you do know that is Arizona to Arizona?? So I'm not sure how that logic says "all teams will be in Arizona".

Tucson is an hour and a half drive.

Scottsdale is 20 minutes from Phoenix.

You could literally have all teams within 45 mins driving distance.

Im not saying it's a guarantee, im saying it's something to think about as a possibility

MorneauMVP33

Mar 24, 2010
Fargo, ND
All teams in Arizona will never happen, yes the travel would be nice and getting to catch more than one game, but most fans go to Spring Training to watch one specific team, so traveling to catch multiple games really is not an issue. Most of the Florida stadiums are also minor league complex's, also think about the time zone for teams on the east coast going to Arizona, spend a month or longer in Arizona and then try to readjust to East coast time zone in a matter of days would be a PITA.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
I thought I had heard that there was a chance that all teams would have ST in Florida, and NO teams would be located in Arizona.

FortyFour

Aug 7, 2008
Yep Cactus league blows the Grape fruit league away.

Wish the area was a little nicer though. May have just been were in phoenix I was staying but it was a bit "ghetto".

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
Arizona has taken a financial beating on the last few teams that have moved out there and won't have any appettite (or money) to entice more teams for quite awhile. Hopefully, the days of public funding are over (but that is another story for another day). And the attendance for the games in Florida is consistently stronger than in Arizona and that has grabbed people's attention. I watched a bunch of Cactus games on MLB the year and the stadiums were virtually empty in a bunch of them. That rarely happens in Florida.

Plus, teams like the Mets, Yankees, Red Sox, Phillies, Braves, etc have extremely strong ties to Floriday that they will never break. Shoot, half the state is retirees from the Northeast and there is no way those teams will abandon that embedded base.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
boxbreaker44 said:
Wish the area was a little nicer though. May have just been were in phoenix I was staying but it was a bit "ghetto".

You probably stayed in the Maryvale area.

I'd recommend Avondale/Goodyear or Peoria next time you come.

There is talk of the Cubs leaving, but, I dont think it will happen.

Mesa is working hard on keeping them here because they will lose alot of fans and money if they let them walk. The Cubs are probably the biggest draw here.

Members online

Latest posts