Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryan Garko now a Texas Ranger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
The Texas Rangers have acquired first baseman Ryan Garko off waivers from Seattle.

Garko fills a need for the Rangers, who had been looking for a right-handed hitter to come off the bench. Chris Davis is their starting first baseman.

Texas optioned catcher Max Ramirez to Triple-A Oklahoma.

Garko is a .279 career hitter over five major league seasons with Cleveland (2005-09) and San Francisco (2009). He went to spring training with Seattle after signing a $550,000 contract, and hit .220 with a home run and four RBIs in 15 games.

He really didnt get much of a chance, but when the guy competing for the same job is batting .550, you go with the bat.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
good news for seattle imo. if kotchman is allowed to play everyday he should be good for .285 15 85 w/ gold glove caliber d at 1b

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
It seems like it worked out for everyone. Seattle saves the 550k and has a secure 1B with a solid backup and Rangers get a solid bench guy that can potentially DH and can backup at 3 positions.

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
I think it's a great move for Garko. Everyone hits for Texas, everyone. There's no doubt in my mind that he, and everyone else will put up numbers. Also Vlad has been prone to injury the past few years so Garko may get a shot at DH should that happen. As far as Kotchman goes, he sucks. Sorry Blake, I just can't stand the guy at all.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
stevezimmer22 said:
I think it's a great move for Garko. Everyone hits for Texas, everyone. There's no doubt in my mind that he, and everyone else will put up numbers. Also Vlad has been prone to injury the past few years so Garko may get a shot at DH should that happen. As far as Kotchman goes, he sucks. Sorry Blake, I just can't stand the guy at all.

Kotchman has played OK this preseason and plays better defense than Garko. Texas clearly wanted Ryan since they were willing to send a prospect to AAA. I hope he plays well and gets into a groove.

Members online

Latest posts