Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My Vintage Venture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
I posted a little blurb about this in the pickup thread, but I thought I would share my new vintage venture. I recently became interested in vintage cards because of their rarity compared to modern ones. I also love their design and imagery compared to the modern cards. I am not docking modern cards as I like a lot of them still, but I have now switched my focus to only buying and trading the vintage type, and selling off much of my modern collection.

Even though I do not know the players and never had the opportunity to watch them, it is fun to become somewhat of a baseball historian and research the players who are depicted on the cards I buy. I focus much on Chicago White Sox (my favorite team) and Brooklyn (my father's passion) in my collecting. I aim for the HOF players and the rarer cards. I have focused mainly on Ed Walsh (White Sox) and Zack Wheat (Brooklyn), while also buying a few other players, especially Tim Jordan. I focus not only on T206, but also on the E and other T cards of these great players. Here are some of my purchases and ventures.

I will begin with my T206 experience.

Zack Wheat is a Hall of Famer who played mainly for the Brooklyn Superbas. This T206 of him was my first vintage purchase.

WheatT206Front.jpg
WheatT206Back.jpg

I have also found two more cards of him depicting the same image. I purchased a raw T206 with the rarer Sovereign Back.

WheatSovereignT206.jpg
WheatSovereignBack.jpg

And this much rarer T213-2.

WheatT213Front.jpg
WheatT213Back.jpg

You can see my other Wheat cards in my photobucket which is linked below. These include a T201 Mecca, a T202, and a W515-1. I also want to showcase this T205 of Wheat. It is an amazing front with great edges, but has a tear on the back that is pretty large and destroyed the grade. I could not pass up the card for the price! The front is too nice to forget! I find the image very aesthetically pleasing and it is a fantastic card to own.

WheatT205.jpg
WheatBack.jpg

I have also picked up a few nice Ed Walsh T206s, along with a few other cards of his. I have two VERY rare E98's coming in. I already own a beater green background E98 (they were released with Green, Blue, Red, and Orange backgrounds) that is in my photobucket. I have recently acquired a higher graded Red E98 Walsh and a PSA 1 (could be a 2) Blue background E98 from 707 Sportscards. This was great because the blue is the rarest and I happened to find both at relatively bargain prices. Here is my T206 Walsh Sovereign.

WalshSovereign.jpg
WalshSovereignBack.jpg

I am looking to complete the T206 back sets of both Walsh and Wheat, along with Tim Jordan (in both poses- Batting and Portrait). I have acquired a portrait of Jordan in the Piedmont and El Principe de Gales backs, and a Batting pose in the Old Mill and American Beauty backs. These can be viewed in my Photobucket along with an E90-1 Jordan that is very tough to find. Here is my most rare Jordan card, an E103 Williams Caramel.

JordanE103.jpg
JordanE103Back.jpg

I have also been fortunate to acquire two cards of the man who was the namesake of the White Sox stadium (before the change of course), Charles Comiskey. Here are my N28 Allen & Ginter and 1888 Scrapps Tobacco Cards of him.

ComiskeyFront.jpg
ComiskeyBack.jpg

ComiskeyScrapps.jpg
ComiskeyScrappsBack.jpg

This is just a small dabble into my new vintage adventure! There are multiple other cards that can be seen in my Photobucket. If you have any questions please ask and I would love to answer! I hope my collection grows and I will post scans of my two E98 Walsh (Red, Blue) when I get home to scan them.

Thanks for reading!

Note: Not all posted sticker prices are the prices that I bought the cards at! I did not want to mess up the cases by tearing them off and leaving any residue from the sticker. These were just the dealers starting prices on each card.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Badass!

Looks like you bought a few of those from Joe Yanello (the ones with the prices on the back). He's a friend of mine and a great seller

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
JoshHamilton said:
Badass!

Looks like you bought a few of those from Joe Yanello (the ones with the prices on the back). He's a friend of mine and a great seller
Thanks! Joe is a great seller (joesvintagesportscards) on ebay. He has fair prices and is great with shipping!

chromerookies

Aug 7, 2008
Madison, Ct.
Your definitley starting out nice, congrats on the sweet pickups! Be careful though, once you start with vintage its tough to stop, I know from experience :lol:

GOOD LUCK!
-Dan

martincp

Aug 10, 2008
Seth - great looking cards. I have a Wheat PSA 4 incoming. Nice Coupon too :!:

The Walsh is one of my favourite cards in the set - really like the green background.

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
DINANBBS said:
http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

go there - do not buy vintage on ebay you will get smoked!
Oh believe me, I've been there for a while! Net54 is a great vintage collectors site. Actually, eBay is still great for vintage cards. The red background E98 Walsh that I recently won was won for half of its previous price, and I won it on eBay. Many cards pop up on eBay still that you are not able to find from other members on the boards. I will stick with fishing through eBay and filtering searches to find the cards I need!

PaulKonerkbro

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago- White Sox Fan
Thank you to martincp and chromerookies as well.

Martin- I am unable to check the PSA Pop report simply because I don't pay for it, but I know that there are only 9 Wheat T213-2 Coupons in the SGC Pop. I am very glad to have snagged one while it was available on eBay!

Chromerookies- Great collection you have there! Thanks!

martincp

Aug 10, 2008
sethyarkony said:
Thank you to martincp and chromerookies as well.

Martin- I am unable to check the PSA Pop report simply because I don't pay for it, but I know that there are only 9 Wheat T213-2 Coupons in the SGC Pop. I am very glad to have snagged one while it was available on eBay!

Chromerookies- Great collection you have there! Thanks!

I have a PSA set (have sold most of the commons recently) but also don't pay for their Pop Report so cannot check for you. Am guessing there may a few more in PSA slabs but not many more. Thought I recognised your name from Net54 (I use my ebay name on there - mart8081 but don't post very often - just buy when I can afford too).

Members online

Latest posts