Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need some opinions on a Hof Auto project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
I need everyone's help here. I'm looking to do a hof auto project. I want to pickup hall of famer autographs. I'm thinking of getting PSA/DNA Hof Autos or JSA Auth Hof Autos. How many hofers should I get? Which hofers should I get? Anything else I should know about?

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
trademhigh said:
I need everyone's help here. I'm looking to do a hof auto project. I want to pickup hall of famer autographs. I'm thinking of getting PSA/DNA Hof Autos or JSA Auth Hof Autos. How many hofers should I get? Which hofers should I get? Anything else I should know about?

What exactly do you want to collect? HOF autographs on anything or HOF on-card autos?

If I were you, if you're going the card route, focus on the living guys first. There are plently of certified HOF autos that can be obtained for under 10 dollars via offers from the early 1990s: Nabisco, Canadian Rock, Big League Chew, etcs. Guys like Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Marichal, Ernie Banks, Frank Robinson, etc... They could be had all under 10 bucks.

Then, there are plenty of Lou Brock, Rollie Fingers, Gaylord Perry and other low-tier HOFers that extremely cheap. With a little research and Ebay hunting, you'll find some great bargains without breaking the bank.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
George K said:
trademhigh said:

What exactly do you want to collect? HOF autographs on anything or HOF on-card autos?

If I were you, if you're going the card route, focus on the living guys first. There are plently of certified HOF autos that can be obtained for under 10 dollars via offers from the early 1990s: Nabisco, Canadian Rock, Big League Chew, etcs. Guys like Brooks Robinson, Jim Palmer, Marichal, Ernie Banks, Frank Robinson, etc... They could be had all under 10 bucks.

Then, there are plenty of Lou Brock, Rollie Fingers, Gaylord Perry and other low-tier HOFers that extremely cheap. With a little research and Ebay hunting, you'll find some great bargains without breaking the bank.
Thanks for your post! I think I would prefer buying 10-15 higher end guys, then 30-40 lower end guys.
I'm not exactly sure what I want to do, but I want to stick with cards, or smaller pictures/checks. Unless they are cut autos, they must be authenticated before I buy them.
Some players I'm sure I want an auto of:
Joe Dimaggio
Mickey Mantle (have 2-want another one on a card, but one was from a long time ago through the mail, and is torn in thirds, and the other is a huge poster, but it isn't authenticated).

George K

Aug 7, 2008
New Jersey
Okay.

For me, I started with the lower tier guys because it's probably wise to get them cheap and while they're still around. But these days it seems like the market is flooded with autos from the players who've been around the last twenty-five years. Don't ever feel that you gotta jump right away on something because there's always something cooler around the corner. There's plently of Mantle, Joe D., and Ted Williams autos for everyone. The trick is waiting for the right piece at the right time.

The real value on HOF autographs are the older players, those who died pre-1980. Lot of fakes out there... so be sure to do your research and compare autos, even if they are certified by PSA and JSA.

autocut

George K said:
Okay.

For me, I started with the lower tier guys because it's probably wise to get them cheap and while they're still around. But these days it seems like the market is flooded with autos from the players who've been around the last twenty-five years. Don't ever feel that you gotta jump right away on something because there's always something cooler around the corner. There's plently of Mantle, Joe D., and Ted Williams autos for everyone. The trick is waiting for the right piece at the right time.

The real value on HOF autographs are the older players, those who died pre-1980. Lot of fakes out there... so be sure to do your research and compare autos, even if they are certified by PSA and JSA.

In the long run, I would focus on non-sticker autographs of HOFers. Get the cheaper ones and every now and then pick up an expensive one. I have quite a few myself, but have been focusing on the harder, less popular ones lately. Prime example, newly elected Willard "Home Run" Brown (***** Leagues). When he was first elected, I picked mine up for $90 plus shipping. One sold on eBay afterwards (cut from an envelope), for $218. Now people want $1000-$1200 for them now. So, I would try to find the less exposed ones. When James "Cool Papa" Bell was elected, I picked up a pre-stroke auto'd baseball for $52 dlvd. Now they run about $400-$600 ($200-$300 for post-stroke). So, timing is everything.

pujolsthomefan33

Aug 7, 2008
Illinois
+1 to everyone above......definitely no "STICKERS" for the HOF AUTO card collection. I would try to stay away from the CUT AUTOs if possible--though some of the guys you will find that this is pretty much all they have. My rule of thumb for that stuff is pick up what you can when you can, and always remember, you can always upgrade later to something better.....

autocut

pujolsthomefan33 said:
+1 to everyone above......definitely no "STICKERS" for the HOF AUTO card collection. I would try to stay away from the CUT AUTOs if possible--though some of the guys you will find that this is pretty much all they have. My rule of thumb for that stuff is pick up what you can when you can, and always remember, you can always upgrade later to something better.....

That's why I rather buy the cancelled checks instead of a card with a signature cut from one. then have my own signature cut made to make sure the autograph isn't cut off.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Thanks for your opinions guys. Now, I am truly lost. I think I need to ease my way into this a little more.
So, I should not go after the likes of Mantle, Dimaggio, Mays, Aaron, until I pick up some of the younger, cheaper hall of famers like Goose Gossage?

autocut

trademhigh said:
Thanks for your opinions guys. Now, I am truly lost. I think I need to ease my way into this a little more.
So, I should not go after the likes of Mantle, Dimaggio, Mays, Aaron, until I pick up some of the younger, cheaper hall of famers like Goose Gossage?

It's best to get the cheaper ones while they are cheap, but in between get the more expensive ones when you find steals.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
I picked up a LOT of the lower end guys by trading here and on a couple of other sites. Then, I slowly sold off other parts of my collection to build up the HOF autos. The best advice has been mentioned here: be patient and wait for a piece that you really like. There can be a tendency to want quantity, but it is the quality pieces that will make your PC something to be proud of.

Welcome to the HOF auto collector's club! I have found it to be the most rewarding aspect of this hobby, and one that should retain its value.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Mighty Bombjack said:
I picked up a LOT of the lower end guys by trading here and on a couple of other sites. Then, I slowly sold off other parts of my collection to build up the HOF autos. The best advice has been mentioned here: be patient and wait for a piece that you really like. There can be a tendency to want quantity, but it is the quality pieces that will make your PC something to be proud of.

Welcome to the HOF auto collector's club! I have found it to be the most rewarding aspect of this hobby, and one that should retain its value.
Thanks for your opinion, as well!
I went through my stuff, and I have:
Mickey Mantle
Duke Snider
Bill Mazeroski
Eddie Murray

So, not much, but it is a start.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
trademhigh said:
Mighty Bombjack said:

Mickey Mantle
Duke Snider
Bill Mazeroski
Eddie Murray

Do you still have a Jeter auto FT?

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Mighty Bombjack said:
trademhigh said:
[quote="Mighty Bombjack":1a5qcb2h]I picked up a LOT of the lower end guys by trading here and on a couple of other sites. Then, I slowly sold off other parts of my collection to build up the HOF autos. The best advice has been mentioned here: be patient and wait for a piece that you really like. There can be a tendency to want quantity, but it is the quality pieces that will make your PC something to be proud of.

Mickey Mantle
Duke Snider
Bill Mazeroski
Eddie Murray

Do you still have a Jeter auto FT?[/quote:1a5qcb2h]
Unfortunately, no. I just traded it.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I really recommend doing the Perez postcards auto'd and PSA slabbed. There are dozens of HOFs to choose from, high and low end. You can snag a Mantle, Aaron, Dimaggio, and countless other highend HOFs for $300 or less; on the flipside you can grab a Brooks Robinson or Chas Gehringer (and dozens of others) for as low as $20.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I personally only have a handful of hof autos but what I would prefer to do and I think you may end up deciding this as well is using only one kind of object to get the autos on.A baseball is always a good thing to use or as other have said...try other forms of media(baseball cards or post cards or checks or whatever.)The only reason I say I want to do this is because I like uniformity.And it may be a lot easier to get some of the older players on baseballs as opposed to cards and such.Not all players you may want may have an auto on a specific object.Especially if they are long since deceased.I would personally either go with balls or the post cards(perez) simply because if you do decide to go the card route...its highly doubtful you will find all of the players you want with autos from the same set.And then you don't have the uniformity.

Either way its your choice and good luck.And yes...go for the cheapies first.It will bolster you confidence in your project and it will also help you out because if one of the players passes on...the autos immediately start to climb.All of a sudden everybody is trying to nail down the auto that they put off so long to get.

Members online

Latest posts