Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pro Debut - price per pack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
I suppose I could just call my shop and ask, but how much are Pro Debut packs going for? Just going by the retail cost of boxes online, I can't imagine more than $3 per pack, but ya never know. Looking to pick a few up later today to round out a supply-laden purchase.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
around 3 bucks per, maybe 3.50. A great price for a shot at the nicest patches of the year.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
schmidtfan20 said:
around 3 bucks per, maybe 3.50. A great price for a shot at the nicest patches of the year.

Sadly though buying single packs at an LCS and pulling amazing patches don't usually go hand in hand.
Unless Topps used great decoys or you have a shop where the owner that is honorable and doesn't let anyone near the boxes.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
rymflaherty said:
schmidtfan20 said:

Sadly though buying single packs at an LCS and pulling amazing patches don't usually go hand in hand.
Unless Topps used great decoys or you have a shop where the owner that is honorable and doesn't let anyone near the boxes.

pack searching at hobby stores should be impossible, are there really dealers out there that let customers
cherry pick boxes? Also the packs that contain patches have only one card in them so they arn't any
thicker than the reagular packs.

Kevin

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well, I got 4 for $15, good enough. I've pulled some real nice stuff in individual packs from my shop so I trust them completely. Though even with patches being the ONLY card in a pack, I have to imagine that those packs would be quite a bit stiffer than the others.

I'm saving my packs until tonight, but they all feel thin. *SIGH* Oh well, could be an auto!

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
So this is identical in design and card stock to base Topps, but a MILB product (cheaper licensing than MLB), with minor league autos and game used (cheaper to acquire than MLB stuff)....yet it's more expensive per pack and box. Oh, and TPD is 8 cards/24 packs vs. Topps 10/36.

Another garbage ripoff product by Topps. I'll wait till the product tanks and I can buy a set for $10

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
So this is identical in design and card stock to base Topps, but a MILB product (cheaper licensing than MLB), with minor league autos and game used (cheaper to acquire than MLB stuff)....yet it's more expensive per pack and box. Oh, and TPD is 8 cards/24 packs vs. Topps 10/36.

Another garbage ripoff product by Topps. I'll wait till the product tanks and I can buy a set for $10

please, know the product before you slam it. Pro Debut has 2 autos and one jersey or patch per box while topps
has one jersey or auto with most boxes having one jersey. A case of pro debut will yield nice game worn patches
while topps base will yield manufactored patches, please think.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
The autograph checklist is pathetic, Topps probably paid $1-$2 per autograph (where for their MLB product, autos probably cost them $5-$50 each). While the game used is nicer in TPD, those game used Futures jerseys cost far less to acquire than MLB gamers. Hell, those manufactured patches probably cost the same to produce as one of the g/u jerseys /139.

Try to look at something other than resale value when determining whether or not you're getting overcharged. The overall cost to produce TPD was probably far less than Topps, yet it is more expensive. Hence, it's a ripoff

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
JoshHamilton said:
The autograph checklist is pathetic, Topps probably paid $1-$2 per autograph (where for their MLB product, autos probably cost them $5-$50 each). While the game used is nicer in TPD, those game used Futures jerseys cost far less to acquire than MLB gamers. Hell, those manufactured patches probably cost the same to produce as one of the g/u jerseys /139.

Try to look at something other than resale value when determining whether or not you're getting overcharged. The overall cost to produce TPD was probably far less than Topps, yet it is more expensive. Hence, it's a ripoff

please stop talking like you know what things cost, you don't. You are sitting here trying to tell me that the jersey
of Heywards back cost more than a few dozen Ruth patches, please. The fact of the matter is that topps has once
again showed us that they can put great cards into 3 dollar packs! The patches in Pro debut are just as nice if
not better than the ones in Ultimate, except you have to spend several hundreds of dollars just to get a chance to
pull one. The ones in pro debut are game worn, you actually see the player with the actual jersey on. If you don't
like that then you shouldn't be collecting.

and Ill agree the autos are weak but no more weak than 95% of other products. You would be a fool not to think
this product is worth it, once again topps has shown innovation and has put out something that hasn't been out
out in a while. Game worn patch and jersey cards, from actual games are two thumbs up in my book. It looks you
dislike for topps is going to carry throughout the season, time to pick another sport, topps has crushed it once again.
Topps, heritage and now debut. nice

Kevin

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well, I'll enjoy the packs regardless of what's inside... guess it's not a rip off afterall! These are a much better value, even from a lowly enjoyment perspective, than Topps flagship.

ChasHawk

Sep 4, 2008
Belvidere, Illinois
Kevin - Please explain how you don't have to spend $100s to pull one of those Futures Game patches. It's not like they are 1 per box.

While I don't always agree with JH, I am sure that TPD cost MUCH less to produce than Topps Series 1.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Uhh, I know exactly what autos cost. I know numerous guys who've played minor league ball and several who play in the bigs. Many have signed for Topps, tri Star, UD, etc. I will guess Topps pays less for this product than they do for Bowman Chrome (and that's $2-$4/sig). And I've heard through reliable source that most superstars charge at least $50/sig. That's why you don't see as many Pujols autos as you do Asdrubal Cabrera autos

I don't know what Topps paid for the Futures jerseys but I know what they and Team USA jerseys have sold for in the past - dirt cheap compared to MLB gamers

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Sorry, not trying to derail the thread, but at the hobby shop closest to me - if you want a product the owner gives you the box and lets you have it. The open boxes always look as if they have been rummaged through and I've seen people take an extra long time with a box simply to pull out one or two packs.
I honestly think it's a situation where the owner probably knows what is going on, but he's also probably making next to nothing and barley staying open, so it wouldn't serve him well to kick the guy out and lose a regular customer.

Not saying it's the case everywhere, but honestly there's quite a few releases that do not do a good job hiding the hits, and any scenario where the customer gets to search through and pick packs lends itself to potential searching. At least it seems Topps may have done a good job hiding these.

schmidtfan20 said:
rymflaherty said:
schmidtfan20 said:

pack searching at hobby stores should be impossible, are there really dealers out there that let customers
cherry pick boxes? Also the packs that contain patches have only one card in them so they arn't any
thicker than the reagular packs.

Kevin

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
At my shop they hold the box while you choose your packs - and you'd better take the ones you touch! Or else...

A LOT of hobby packs are absurdly easy to tell which have the hits and which don't, and this is just from noticing how they feel in hand from full boxes that I've purchased. I could absolutely guarantee which pack had the crazy-expensive-to-obtain MLB jersey swatch in my boxes of '10 Topps.

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
chashawk said:
Kevin - Please explain how you don't have to spend $100s to pull one of those Futures Game patches. It's not like they are 1 per box.

While I don't always agree with JH, I am sure that TPD cost MUCH less to produce than Topps Series 1.

Its simple, you can pull a patch from 1 pack, I know its hard, but you do have that OPTION. I opened 11
packs and pulled a patch of 5. I spent less than 40 bucks. I would NEVER have that option on ultimate. We
have also learned that many of the regular jersey cards, the ones that are one per box, have also had patch
material on them. Topps cut up the entire jerseys on these, they didn't save the patch material to use down
the road. How can you not love real game used patches?

and as far as how much topps spent on autos, do you really think that Jose Mijares, Wade Davis and Daniel Bard charge
a ton for their autos? These guys signed most of the cards in series one. As a matter of fact hanson and beckham
are the best autos you can pull from the perfromance auto set in series one....that isn't cost topps much.

uniquebaseballcards

Nov 12, 2008
I don't think anyone realistically thinks any card manufacturer shoots for the same exact profit margin on every single release.

schmidtfan20 said:
Its simple, you can pull a patch from 1 pack, I know its hard, but you do have that OPTION. I opened 11 packs and pulled a patch of 5. I spent less than 40 bucks. I would NEVER have that option on ultimate. We
have also learned that many of the regular jersey cards, the ones that are one per box, have also had patch
material on them. Topps cut up the entire jerseys on these, they didn't save the patch material to use down
the road. How can you not love real game used patches?

and as far as how much topps spent on autos, do you really think that Jose Mijares, Wade Davis and Daniel Bard charge
a ton for their autos? These guys signed most of the cards in series one. As a matter of fact hanson and beckham
are the best autos you can pull from the perfromance auto set in series one....that isn't cost topps much.

Members online