Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Leake named Reds 5th Starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
That's rather interesting. I have a decent sized stash of him, so I'm not sure if I am happy he's starting in the MLB or if it'd be better to wait and watch him do really well in the minors first. His items have spiked recently and this should cause another bump in price, so I might sell off some.

Anyways, congrats to Mike Leake! That's awesome for him.

Jurgy25

Aug 14, 2008
Northern California
I thought I had just read something that said Wood got the 5th starter, and Leake was sent to AA. Guess not.

Another article from Reds website.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/art ... p&c_id=cin

Wish I had more, but right now have Ref, Xfractor, and this one:

scan0016.jpg

bigredmachine

Dec 16, 2009
I would have preferred him to the minors. Now would be the time to sell. A couple bad starts in the majors and his cards will go down fast. The Reds might not have much offense anyway.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I don't really see leake getting *pounded* in the traditional sense. I think he'll be spectacularly average; which could well decrease the price of his cards more than getting pounded.

EricInCT

Jan 8, 2009
pigskincardboard said:
I don't really see leake getting *pounded* in the traditional sense. I think he'll be spectacularly average; which could well decrease the price of his cards more than getting pounded.

he will get pounded, no doubts about it.

TheDailyProspect

Aug 19, 2008
EricInCT said:
pigskincardboard said:

Totally agree with this. Sorry for those who invested in him. Without a good build up, the only chance for profit is for him to actually do well....and the chances are...he won't.

Mark

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
thats great news! whats your logic in why he wont do well?

so because he was "rushed"..some think he'll get lit up?
He put in 3 outstanding yrs for Arizona state..so its not like he's out of high school...now that would be rushed. obviously the Reds think he's ready..so we'll all find out soon enough.

TheDailyProspect

Aug 19, 2008
Bosox3 said:

Well he has never pitched in an MLB game and as a fifth starter early in the season he will miss starts. Reds fans are already upset over the rush job.

He could do great. However, when you are trying to make money a nice slow build up is much better than all your money hanging on one start. Not a bet I would like to make.

That is really the question you have to ask yourself....Am I willing to bet that his first start go great because if it doesn't he probably won't start again for a couple of weeks...big cool off period

Mark

hail2thevictors

Jan 20, 2010
EricInCT said:
pigskincardboard said:

I bet the same was said when Rick Porcello made the team out of ST after just 1 year of pro experience and no college.

He didn't turn out all that bad, really. You can't say there are "no doubts about it"-because it's very possible he is solid this year.

thegreathambino

Jan 17, 2009
Bosox3 said:

He put in 3 outstanding yrs for Arizona state..so its not like he's out of high school...now that would be rushed. obviously the Reds think he's ready..so we'll all find out soon enough.

Theres a reason college baseball isn't called "MLB"

beefycheddar

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
thegreathambino said:
Bosox3 said:

Theres a reason college baseball isn't called "MLB"

There is also a reason that college players make the pros faster than high school.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
Those who like power pitchers with big arms are going to hate on Leake. Those who have studied him and understand that he can "pitch" know that his mental makeup is probably one of the best coming out of the draft in a long time. He won't rattle.

Dusty won't have time to mess him up. The Reds have several off days in April and the 5th spot will be skipped a couple of times.

I hope I'm right but then again I could eat crow pie come April 10.

Not scanned
1-Blue
2-X's
1-base

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
jbhofmann said:
Those who like power pitchers with big arms are going to hate on Leake. Those who have studied him and understand that he can "pitch" know that his mental makeup is probably one of the best coming out of the draft in a long time. He won't rattle.

Dusty won't have time to mess him up. The Reds have several off days in April and the 5th spot will be skipped a couple of times.

I hope I'm right but then again I could eat crow pie come April 10.

Not scanned
1-Blue
2-X's
1-base

Still would have been better if he started in the minors for his card value. A guy like Leake falls into the Kevin Slowey mold. Once people see he isn't some high velocity dynamo, his prices won't move. It sucks.

Members online