Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Need help from the vintage collectors/baseball historians

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
I've really wanted to start getting some vintage, especially pre war, but some post war as well. Unfortunately my budget won't let me pick up any of the really big names. I was hoping to approach my first few pick ups by getting guys that are less expensive, but are still known for something. Perhaps they were the first to do something or recognized for something even if they weren't a star of the era. Hopefully that will keep the cost down a bit for me. I feel like I'll appreciate the cards more that way than if they were just some no name player. I'm hoping for stuff graded, but the grade is of no real importance and the lower probably better for my wallet :p .

So if you have any suggestions I'd really appreciate the opportunity to hear them and research some of these players to pick some cards up.

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Scotty I'm hoping to dabble in a lot of the vintage eras honestly, but I was wanting to start with some of the tobacco cards of the early 1900s, similar to what's in your sig. I think they look amazing! I'm not sure if there are some interesting characters from that era though that might be a little cheaper.

As far as picking a team...I've never really had my team in baseball. Growing up collecting in Utah, I mostly cheered for players rather than any specific team. As I've moved around the country for schooling, I've tried to adopt the major league teams close to where I've lived (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Detroit, Minnesota). While I like seeing those teams win, I really don't have a huge devotion to any one team. I suppose that's why I'm looking to collect characters from these eras :D . If I can afford stars from the various vintage eras then great, but if not, hopefully I can pick up some guys who were well known for something.

jay1065

Aug 7, 2008
Lowell, MA
WoundedDuck said:
I'm not sure if there are some interesting characters from that era though that might be a little cheaper.

There are many characters from that era. Germany Schaefer is one of my favorites. He was playing in a game which the umpires refused to call because of light rain. As the story goes (at least one of the variations I have read,) Schaefer went up to bat wearing a rain coat and boots. To top it off, he sported an umbrella opposite his bat. The umps then called the game. In another game, he stole 1st base....from 2nd! I highly recommend that you look him up.

You may want to check out these guys, as well. Each has a T206 example (or two) that can be found at any price level.

Deacon Phillippe, pitcher (372 games/363 walks, distant relative of actor Ryan Phillipe)
Fred Merkle (Merkle's Boner)
Bill Bergen (think the Mendoza Line is low? How about a career .170 BA over ten seasons?)

Good luck with your new project!

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I'll suggest Addie Joss. Died after 9 season in MLB and was a HOF pitcher. I could be wrong but I think the All-Star game was started as a tribute to his untimely passing. The leagues best came together to play his team, Cleveland.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
Here's a list of sets where you can find low to midgrade HOFers for $25-$100. Granted some of these are oddball sets, but they're still pretty cool

-1909 E254 Colgan's Chips

-1910-12 P2 Sweet Caporal pins

-1913 Nap Lajoie game. You can find a PSA 7 for about $60. A Lajoie T206 in the same grade will run you $2500

-1913 Tom Barker game. Playing card size/stock so high grade examples are east to find and cheap

-1913 National game. Same thing

-1921 W516-2. Ugly strip cards but cheap

-1929 R316 Kashin. Oversized premiums.

-1934-36 Diamond Stars. Cheaper and (IMO) nicer looking than Goudey. VG stars can be had for $30-$75

-1936 R311 Glossy. A bit more expensive (poor-good examples go for $50 or more) but they're 7x10 inches and look great slabbed

-1936 R313 National Chicle and R314 Goudey Wide Pens. Dirt cheap. Low grade HOFers can be had for $10-$30

1936 S & S game. Another playing card game that's cheap and easily found in high grade.

Hope this helps

Members online