Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

You might not like the Aflac cuts.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
But they are selling pretty well.

I have to assume legally they couldnt just insert the card for some reason.
You know it cost Topps a good chunk extra money to cut them up, design a new card and fit it into the window. They wouldnt have done this unless they had to and I dont blame them for issuing them as cuts.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
011873 said:

You know it cost Topps a good chunk extra money to cut them up, design a new card and fit it into the window. They wouldnt have done this unless they had to and I dont blame them for issuing them as cuts.

Only way for them to get around the razor exclusive autograph contracts. I still think they should have just held them for once the exclusive contract expires.

Leaf

Aug 7, 2008
They had two choices:

1> cut them not and put in pro debut.
2> keep them intact and insert in 2011 bowman draft (I would have done this one)

BG

Jul 30, 2009
For collectors, putting them in 2011 BDP would have been the best choice but I feel Topps knew these cuts would be a key selling point for pre orders, especially at the 1/4 box ratio.

From all the boxes Ive sold so far, the main interests from my customers are the sweet patches and the cuts.

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
mredsox89 said:
011873 said:

Only way for them to get around the razor exclusive autograph contracts. I still think they should have just held them for once the exclusive contract expires.

i have seen some #d as low as 100...if i remember correctly, the players signed 250 copies at the aflac game so there is a chance the remainder will be issued at a later date.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I think it was retarded that they cut up AFLACs, but I don't think they look too bad. Better than stickers

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Halonut said:
mredsox89 said:
011873 said:

i have seen some #d as low as 100...if i remember correctly, the players signed 250 copies at the aflac game so there is a chance the remainder will be issued at a later date.

Yea, I was assuming that they didn't cut them all up. There isn't enough of the product for them to need to do that. I'd expect the full versions in 11 draft

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
The thing that I'm finding is bugging me more than anything else about these cuts is why they chose to use cuts for the players whom Razor had no relationship with whatsoever. Why not just run with Heathcott, Sampson, Williams, etc. autographs as the full AFLAC card and serial numbered; if you want to run the cut auto's for Razor contracted players as well fine, but I can't see what necessitated the need to make all of them cuts.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
jlecates said:
The thing that I'm finding is bugging me more than anything else about these cuts is why they chose to use cuts for the players whom Razor had no relationship with whatsoever. Why not just run with Heathcott, Sampson, Williams, etc. autographs as the full AFLAC card and serial numbered; if you want to run the cut auto's for Razor contracted players as well fine, but I can't see what necessitated the need to make all of them cuts.

That would probably create a bit of confusion. People couldn't tell if it came out of a Bowman Draft product, or a minor league Pro Debut product. I like how Topps did it. They kept it simple and uniform. The design isn't too bad IMO either.

Jul 30, 2009
jlecates said:

I would think it has something to do with the Minor League license/properties.

The Aflacs picture (then) high school players and they obviously are not wearing Minor League uniforms in the pictures.

Its also a Bowman branded card (the Aflac's) and this is a Topps product. WE know Bowman is owned by Topps and what it stands for but many many collectors (especially new ones) dont.

jlecates

Dec 4, 2008
011873 said:
jlecates said:

I would think it has something to do with the Minor League license/properties.

The Aflacs picture (then) high school players and they obviously are not wearing Minor League uniforms in the pictures.

Its also a Bowman branded card (the Aflac's) and this is a Topps product. WE know Bowman is owned by Topps and what it stands for but many many collectors (especially new ones) dont.
I guess I do question if this would be an issue with MiLB at all. While it is a product done in conjecture with MiLB I'm not sure that would preclude Topps from placing additional cards into the product - MiLB doesn't have final say over the product, only that Topps be allowed to use its images. I could certainly be off the mark about that however.

As far as the Topps/Bowman difference: Bowman Draft products have run 2006 AFLAC Autos which were actually labled Topps instead of Bowman, so I would assume the product name distinction is moot here. But again, without knowing the nuts and bolts of it I could be way off the mark.

sneekc

Feb 1, 2009
razorent said:
They had two choices:

1> cut them not and put in pro debut.
2> keep them intact and insert in 2011 bowman draft (I would have done this one)

BG
Yeah great advice from the pres. of a "very successful card company/brand" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Members online

Latest posts