Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

A question about your LCS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jul 30, 2009
Assuming you frequent one, where do they keep their new packs and boxes?

I ask because it amazes me how many card stores keep their sealed boxes and packs right on the counter for any customer to pocket or feel up. We are not talking $12 boxes and 50 cents packs of 1988 Topps here.

A few years back, the NBA had a contest where they picked one store and remodeled it, top to bottom. Sure, it "looked" great with brand new showcases right in the middle of the store forming a square but guess what? All the boxes and packs were right out in the open for everyone to touch, feel, drop, pocket and mess with. Im talking stuff from Topps to Ultimate and everything in between.

In my store, the only packs and boxes out in the open are cheap stuff like 80's and 90's low end. All the new stuff (boxes and packs) are still right out in the open for all to see on a shelf but behind the counter.

Wondering how it is at the store you all visit.

Slette

Jul 24, 2009
St Paul
Both the shops I go to keep the packs on shelves behind the counter, which I like a lot. There's one shop in Iowa I go to when I visit home, and theirs are sitting right out for everyone to ******.

jondawg04

Sep 1, 2008
All behind the counter. When purchasing packs he does hand you the box to pick your own, but he watches you pretty carefully while doing so.

rookieaddict

Nov 13, 2008
Mine's got it figured out. Just sells boxes, no packs. So no questions about if the "hit" has been pulled yet or not. Also, no searching.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
rookieaddict said:
Mine's got it figured out. Just sells boxes, no packs. So no questions about if the "hit" has been pulled yet or not. Also, no searching.

not a bad idea but also loses a lot of sales

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
agreed, a card shop that only sells boxes is a waste, if I just wanted to buy boxes I would buy them online where
the price is much better, much of the best part of going to a card store is having buying options...one pack, two
packs, ten packs, one box.

One card store has all the boxes behind the counters, I don't like that because I can't see the prices and can't
check out the odds. The other store has mostly everything behind the counter but the new stuff out where
I can reach it, look at odds and such. It is always nice to actually be able to read the packs and boxes, but the
shop owner MUST have knowledge of the product, that makes a HUGE difference. If you are selling something
for 150 a box, you better be able to tell me a little bit about whats inside.

Kevin

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
The shop I go to has their open boxes (for packs) behind the counter. If you are buying cards that don't have fat packs so you can see where the patches are, then he puts the box on the counter and watches you pick them.. If there are fat packs where you can clearly see where the patch cards are, then you have to pick a number from 1-10 (if there are 10 packs) and counts from back to front for the pack number you chose.. He never opens boxes or case to pull the bigs cards as he lets the customers open boxes/packs.

I have been doing business with him for over 25 years and he's still in business which speaks for his character. I have sent members to him and they all seem happy to come back, so he must be doing something correctly..

Jul 30, 2009
schmidtfan20 said:
agreed, a card shop that only sells boxes is a waste, if I just wanted to buy boxes I would buy them online where
the price is much better, much of the best part of going to a card store is having buying options...one pack, two
packs, ten packs, one box.

One card store has all the boxes behind the counters, I don't like that because I can't see the prices and can't
check out the odds. The other store has mostly everything behind the counter but the new stuff out where
I can reach it, look at odds and such. It is always nice to actually be able to read the packs and boxes, but the
shop owner MUST have knowledge of the product, that makes a HUGE difference. If you are selling something
for 150 a box, you better be able to tell me a little bit about whats inside.

Kevin

Wait, hold on, can it be? Is it? YES INDEED we agree on something :lol:

Theres a greater profit when a box is sold by packs, especially if its multiplied out several times.

But the biggest part I agree with you on is having a customer know why box A is $109 and box B is $69 and box C is $89.
On my boxes (packs), I write out a complete break down of the product. From how many GU and autos in the box to how many inserts/numbered cards and rookies (if needed) per box along with the price.

If its a Baseball product, Ill usually know all the details, from "soup to nuts" about it, especially if its a rookie loaded product as I open a lot of that myself for my PC and sales. Other sports Ill look at breaks/sell sheets/odds etc.

And for a product which is heavily collected, like Heritage, Ill list how many short prints, chromes, etc to expect and have a list of the super short prints for people who dont know.

I just always have found it crazy to walk into a store and see a tiny sticker on the boxes/packs with ONLY a price tag. No info about the product.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Behind the counter but you can pick your own. You're watched closely and you better buy what you touch! I have no reason not to trust my shop, I've pulled lots of nice stuff from individual packs!

G $MONEY$

Feb 8, 2009
Calgary
011873 said:
Assuming you frequent one, where do they keep their new packs and boxes?

In my store, the only packs and boxes out in the open are cheap stuff like 80's and 90's low end. All the new stuff (boxes and packs) are still right out in the open for all to see on a shelf but behind the counter.

All 4 card shops in my city are just like yours and they keep all the boxes and packs behind the counter and you have to ask what you want. The one shop does keep some boxes on a counter where the customers can touch them, but the boxes he keeps on the counter is all lower end like Victory, base Topps, Base UD, MVP etc.

69MetsFan

Oct 20, 2008
Panama City, Florida
Mine keeps them on the counter. There's a sign posted in plain sigh that says "Pack searchers will be asked to leave the store". Seems to work as I've hit some really good cards from there.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
One shop would open a second box for the regulars [ big spenders] .Only keeping one box on counter.Bad thing was this owner smoked all the time ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: .He had to close when rent went up and store was empty for two years so higher rent equaled no rent .
my local is a 30 mile trip now .

Members online