Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Opening Day Traditions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MojoDan

Aug 22, 2008
Just wondering if anyone here has any Opening Day traditions that they'd like to share. This is my first one where my son will actually sit and watch parts of the game.

Also going to run to the grocery store to get Hot Dogs and maybe some other Ballpark type foods...

chowell3fan

Jan 27, 2010
Whaler Country
Dan-O
I used to take the day off every year for opening day, but with gig I have now, it's tough to do.

When I did, the traditions were simple
Dogs, Beer and Peanuts in the house.
Mets gear (picked out the night before)
COMPLETE Silence from anyone in the house when the game on unless it's GAME RELATED (to wit, Peighty two years ago was using the game in context when asking questions that had nothing to do with the game....ie: "Daddy, does X have a daughter? Do you think HE would let HER use the computer if she needed it")

Penno

Sep 5, 2008
Oxford, AL
Nothing besides me and my dad making it a point to be there at the game together. This year, my younger brother and fiance are joining us.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
Two years ago, I told my then 5 and 7 year-olds that since it was opening day I would give them a special baseball surprise if they sang Take Me Out to the Ballgame. They of course agreed and as they finished the song, I whipped out two plates full of whip cream and smashed them into their faces as they'd seen many times during baseball interviews.

To say they didn't like it is an understatement. They both started crying hysterically as my wife and I laughed and helped them clean up.

Last year they learned about not messing with a streak. They are big Phillies fans so I explained that since the Phillies won the World Series, it would be bad luck if we didn't repeat our Take Me Out to the Ballgame/Pie in the Face/Opening Day song. They agreed and my 8-year old daughter took the pie in the face like a champ, but my 6-year old turned his head and got am earful of whipcream.

This year my daughter reminded me of our tradition and scolded her brother not to turn his head this year as that was probably the reason the Phillies got to the World Series but didn't win.

The whipcream is waiting and ready.

pitt23

Aug 7, 2008
Houston
I used to buy 2-3 boxes of Topps Heritage and bust them while watching a game.

Since my daughter started to crawl, that tradition has gone bye-bye. Now I what a game with her on Opening Day, just no cards for her to bend, mangle, eat, etc.

When she gets a little older the cards will come back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts