Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How good will the Yankees be in 2009?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
I honestly think the Yankees will be an unstoppable force next year, winning 97+ games. They won 89 games and stuggled all year hold with injuries and the ineffectiveness of young pitchers. Hughes and Kennedy went a combined 0-12, which I highly doubt 2009's #4-5 starters will. The Yankees lost Posada (1/2 season), Arod (4 weeks), Matsui (over a 1/2 season), **** (lost 15-17 starts), Joba. So now they lose Abreu, Giambi, Pavano, Pettitte....and add CC Sabthia, AJ Burnett, Mark Texeira, Posada (full season), Matsui (full season), Nady (full season), Damaso Marte (full season), **** (Full season) and Joba (full season).

How won't this team win atleast 8-12 more games?

They will have a rotation as good as any team: CC, AJ, ****, Joba, Pettitte/Hughes/Aceves
Bullpen is just as good any team: Mariano, Marte, Robertson, Ramirez, Coke, Veras, Burney
Lineup: Damon/Jeter/Tex/Arod/Posada/Matsui/Cano/Swisher/Gardner....has power, speed and they will get on base

Ofcourse there are going to be a bunch of haters that will say they Yankees just spend and spend...but if it was there team they would be just as happy as us Yankee fans are.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
They also just took AJ from the Jays....who won 4 games vs. the Yanks
and Teixeira from the Angels (also lost Krod)...both teams will be significantly worse.

P_Manning 18

Aug 7, 2008
Yankees 2009 = Tigers circa 2008.

See how far all that talent got them?

Red Sox, Rays, Yankees, Jays and Orioles will be the division top to bottom.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
jdacunha said:
They also just took AJ from the Jays....who won 4 games vs. the Yanks
and Teixeira from the Angels (also lost Krod)...both teams will be significantly worse.
Need to add manny haha.

I still think they need to strengthen up the middle of the bull pen, move joba back to pen or get some sort of 8th inning set up man/closer to take over mariano one day.

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
While I do think the Yanks will be better this year, where do you get off labeling all of last year's injured players as "Full Season" this year in your parentheses? Do you think at the beginning of last season the prognosticators were labeling those players as "**** will miss 15-17 starts," "Matsui will miss half the year," "A-rod will miss 4 weeks," "Joba will get injured," "Posada will only play half a season," etc.? My point is there is absolutely no way to predict injuries - yes they may all be healthy on April 1, 2009, but after that, it's anybody's guess ... so temper your enthusiasm.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Casey2884 said:
While I do think the Yanks will be better this year, where do you get off labeling all of last year's injured players as "Full Season" this year in your parentheses? Do you think at the beginning of last season the prognosticators were labeling those players as "**** will miss 15-17 starts," "Matsui will miss half the year," "A-rod will miss 4 weeks," "Joba will get injured," "Posada will only play half a season," etc.? My point is there is absolutely no way to predict injuries - yes they may all be healthy on April 1, 2009, but after that, it's anybody's guess ... so temper your enthusiasm.

You can say that about any team...

The point is that they will probably not experience as many significant injuries next year.

bigpapiMA32

Aug 7, 2008
Monterey, CA
Not a chance a team in the East wins 97 games seeing as the three best teams in the league are in that division. And Toronto's no Seattle either.

Tomlinson21RB

Aug 7, 2008
MA
darocker80 said:
posada won't be able to put up the same numbers as in 2007. 2 years older and coming off injury.

That's the realism that many yankees fans lack right now. This team is getting older. The guys that everyone keeps saying are coming back from injury seem to miss time every year. The good to average players with bad contracts are being replaced with good or a little better options with equally bad contracts.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
Without bringing selfish biasness and kiddie like anecdotes in to play, I'll just say that they will only be as good as there team chemestry. If there chemestry is poor and there is simply a bunch of individual stars with inflated ego's, they will not make the playoffs. If they can manage to check there inflated heads at the stadium door and play as a bunch of talented team members, with love for the game, they will win it all.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
bigpapiMA32 said:
Not a chance a team in the East wins 97 games seeing as the three best teams in the league are in that division. And Toronto's no Seattle either.

Why not? TB won 97, RS won 95 and the Yankees won 89...Toronto will not will not win 86 games next year, the Angels won't win 100 games....their are a lot of wins out there to be had

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Tomlinson21RB said:
darocker80 said:
posada won't be able to put up the same numbers as in 2007. 2 years older and coming off injury.

That's the realism that many yankees fans lack right now. This team is getting older. The guys that everyone keeps saying are coming back from injury seem to miss time every year. The good to average players with bad contracts are being replaced with good or a little better options with equally bad contracts.

????? clarify please

nyc3

Aug 20, 2008
Tomlinson21RB said:
darocker80 said:

That's the realism that many yankees fans lack right now. This team is getting older. The guys that everyone keeps saying are coming back from injury seem to miss time every year.

What? who?

onehrk

Aug 7, 2008
San Diego, CA
Casey2884 said:

Didn't see your post, that was my point exactly. +1

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
jdacunha said:
onehrk said:
I'm curious how you can say "full season" next to some players' names. Injuries are expected, they happen.

You are right...but you can say the same about all teams

That is exactly our point! What makes the Yankees any different?! Are they less susceptible to injuries and more likely to have "full season" players or something? That "you can say the same about all teams" was exactly the point - you are assuming the Yankees' injured stars from last year will all play full seasons, which is an unrealistic expectation.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Casey2884 said:
jdacunha said:
onehrk said:
I'm curious how you can say "full season" next to some players' names. Injuries are expected, they happen.

You are right...but you can say the same about all teams

That is exactly our point! What makes the Yankees any different?! Are they less susceptible to injuries and more likely to have "full season" players or something? That "you can say the same about all teams" was exactly the point - you are assuming the Yankees' injured stars from last year will all play full seasons, which is an unrealistic expectation.

**** getting injured due to the same injury is unlikely...The Yankees will be a much better team...period

Members online