Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yankees vs Red Sox: "It's pathetic and embarrassing"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
If you're struggling to stifle yawns and stay focused the morning after watching the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox play another 4-hour marathon, umpire Joe West feels your pain.

Before Wednesday night's game, West called the AL East rivals "embarrassing" and "a disgrace to baseball" for slowing the pace of their games to a crawl, according to the Bergen (N.J.) Record.

The team's season opener on Sunday took 3:46 to play. Tuesday night's game went 3:48, while Wednesday night's contest, which went 10 innings, was finished in a relatively brisk 3:21.

"They're the two clubs that don't try to pick up the pace," said West, the chief of the umpiring crew working the three-game series, according to the report. "They're two of the best teams in baseball. Why are they playing the slowest?

"It's pathetic and embarrassing. They take too long to play," he said, according to the report.

During Tuesday night's game, home plate umpire Angel Hernandez denied a number of requested time outs in the batter's box. West did not allow Hernandez to comment, according to the report.

"All of baseball looks to these two clubs to pick up the pace," West said, according to the report. "[Hernandez] did everything he could. The players aren't working with us."

The occasionally slow pace of the game has gotten baseball's attention before. After Game 4 of last year's World Series, in which Yankees catcher Jorge Posada walked to the mound to visit CC Sabathia eight times in a single inning, MLB vice president of umpiring Mike Port said frequent mound meetings by all teams would likely be discussed during the offseason.

Baseball has tried speed-up rules and guidelines in recent years, with varying results. Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon was fined a few times last season for taking too long to pitch, and one occasion had a ball called on him for that reason. And hitters have been encouraged to stay in the batter's box.

One trip to the mound is allowed per inning -- by a manager or coach -- before a pitcher must be pulled. There is no limit, however, on players-only meetings.

Joe West must be hungry during the games, either that or his weight is crushing his ankles causing discomfort.

What a tool. Everything bolded above describes him well!

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I agree with Joe West. The Yankees and Red Sox, as well as their fans, seem to feel some serious entitlement. They are trying to speed the game up league wide, and last I checked, the Yankees and Red Sox were both part of MLB. So if they are trying to speed up all of the games, that does include the Yankees and Red Sox.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Your comments are idiotic......

There is a MLB mandate to speed up the games this year because the game times are getting longer and longer. In the past, games were completed in under 3 hours and many times games would only go 2.5 hours to complete. The games now are being stretched out far too long which is the complaint of many fans. There is no need for Posada to visit the mound 8 times in one inning and there is no need for a batter to step out of the box after every pitch. As a baseball purist I applaude the attemps to speed up the game. Now they just need to cut down on the TV time outs!

I think you need to figure out what you are talking about before you make derogatory remarks about anyone!

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
So it's the Yankees and the Red Sox fault because they are two of the best teams, are part of a major rivalry, have patient batters and good pitching?

If the umps wanted to speed up the game they should call strikes, strikes, and balls, balls.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Watching ANgel Hernandez was pretty funny..

Remy? was commenting on the fact that Ortiz would call a time out, not be awarded it, at which point Posada would just stand up to call a time out, and also not be awarded it.

Honestly, these teams have to pick it up. Everyone loves watching 4 hours of Red Sox / Yankees baseball...

But you can't let the Yankees and Red Sox do all that crap while telling the Blue Jays Vs. Kansas City to speed the game up.

MLB has to do something. More people will go to a Ball Game if they know it'll be over by 10PM.

When Ball games start going to 11PM or 5PM (for 1PM starts) people get very pissy and just wont bother going.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
mchenrycards said:
Your comments are idiotic......

There is a MLB mandate to speed up the games this year because the game times are getting longer and longer. In the past, games were completed in under 3 hours and many times games would only go 2.5 hours to complete. The games now are being stretched out far too long which is the complaint of many fans. There is no need for Posada to visit the mound 8 times in one inning and there is no need for a batter to step out of the box after every pitch. As a baseball purist I applaude the attemps to speed up the game. Now they just need to cut down on the TV time outs!

I think you need to figure out what you are talking about before you make derogatory remarks about anyone!

I like it the way it is. I watch baseball to relax, to get away from the high speed pace of the real world. If you want the games to be shorter, just make them 7 innings. Or since you're a baseball purist, maybe you think things should just be left the way they are? I do. :D

Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon was fined a few times last season for taking too long to pitch, and one occasion had a ball called on him for that reason.

To me, that's stupid. There isn't a rule that says you need to pitch in a certain amount of time. If they put up a 24 second pitch clock that's one thing, but how do you punish a player for breaking a rule that doesn't exist?

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
OH MY GOD!!! How dare anyone say something negative about Boston vs. New York!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

It's the absolute truth, especially considering Papelbon's been fined how many times for "slow play"? Baseball games take long enough as it is, just what we need are the two "top" teams in baseball slowing it up even more.

A 9-inning game should be taking nearly 4 hours to complete. That is "embarassing" and "pathetic".

An vwnut13, the issue, if you read the whole article, is with constant player meetings on the mound and stuff like that. And things like Papelbon taking his sweet-ass time between pitches. Stepping out of the batters box and asking for time-out multiple times, that has nothing to do with "patient batters" or "good pitching."

muskiesfan

Aug 7, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
vwnut13 said:
So it's the Yankees and the Red Sox fault because they are two of the best teams, are part of a major rivalry, have patient batters and good pitching?

If the umps wanted to speed up the game they should call strikes, strikes, and balls, balls.

You're missing the point. The Yankees and Red Sox aren't being singled out. Much to the dismay of the teams and their fans, they're being treated like the other 28 teams. I don't care who the team is or how good/bad they may be. If MLB is trying to speed up ALL games, then the Yankees and Red Sox games fall into that category.

Again, Joe West's statements are right on the money. These two teams and their fans feel a sense of entitlement. Rivalry or no rivalry, most fans or least fans, it doesn't matter. Baseball is trying to speed up every game.

RZimm11

Feb 4, 2009
[quote:2cd7nkv3]Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon was fined a few times last season for taking too long to pitch, and one occasion had a ball called on him for that reason.

To me, that's stupid. There isn't a rule that says you need to pitch in a certain amount of time. If they put up a 24 second pitch clock that's one thing, but how do you punish a player for breaking a rule that doesn't exist?[/quote:2cd7nkv3]

There is a time-between-pitches rule that was in-place and modified in 2007 by the way:

Time between pitches: The allotment for delivering the ball with no one on base has been reduced, from 20 seconds to 12. The price for each violation is a ball.

Link:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
News flash to Red Sox and Yankees fans: The rest of the country doesn't care about your rivalry. It is the most overblown rivalry in all of sports. I don't even watch ESPN anymore because it turned into Yankees/Red Sox update.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
RL24 said:
Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon was fined a few times last season for taking too long to pitch, and one occasion had a ball called on him for that reason.

To me, that's stupid. There isn't a rule that says you need to pitch in a certain amount of time. If they put up a 24 second pitch clock that's one thing, but how do you punish a player for breaking a rule that doesn't exist?

Rule 8.04 -
When the bases are unoccupied, the pitcher shall deliver the ball to the batter within 20 seconds after he receives the ball. Each time the pitcher delays the game by violating this rule, the umpire shall call "Ball." The intent of this rule is to avoid unnecessary delays. The umpire shall insist that the catcher return the ball promptly to the pitcher, and that the pitcher take his position on the rubber promptly. Obvious delay by the pitcher should instantly be penalized by the umpire.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
DWright5 said:
[quote:1gf2p7jx]Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon was fined a few times last season for taking too long to pitch, and one occasion had a ball called on him for that reason.

There is a time-between-pitches rule that was in-place and modified in 2007 by the way:

Time between pitches: The allotment for delivering the ball with no one on base has been reduced, from 20 seconds to 12. The price for each violation is a ball.

Link:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb[/quote:1gf2p7jx]

OK, whichever games you guys watch tonight grab your stopwatch and let me know if 1 single pitch gets fired in under 12 seconds.

How does the pitcher know when the 12 seconds are up? Instead of focusing on the game plan and which pitch they plan to throw and the location and all of that... they are supposed to be counting to 12?

So they don't really give out a ball every time a pitcher exceeds 12 seconds, only when the ump feels like it. Or maybe it's based on how much the ump likes or dislikes the pitcher? That seems fair. And baseball purists are digging all of these rule changes, that's very surprising. And really, giving out free balls to batters leads to more baserunners... that's supposed to speed up the game?

xcantgobackx

Aug 20, 2008
Jersey Shore
I think Joe West's message could have been conveyed in a much classier fashion in he had selected his words more carefully. While I agree with what he was trying to say (Surprise! I'm a Yankee fan!), I think a man who enforces the rules of the game should have refrained from (what I feel was) ripping two teams he is supposed to be officiating in an unbiased fashion.

I agree what's good for the rest of baseball should certainly be upheld for the Yanks and Sox too.

Unfortunately, I think this opens up Joe West to future problems and criticism. What happens if in May the Red Sox are playing the Angels and Joe West honestly accidentally blows a call on an important play that goes against the Red Sox? Are people going to say it was done purposely because Joe West has been on record calling the Red Sox a "disgrace to baseball"? I won't feel that way, because I know what he was trying to say with his comments. I just think a man in the position of authority he holds should refrain from comments that could come off as insulting and inflammatory.

Sincerely,

A Sense of Entitlement Yankee Fan

Huffamaniac

Oct 8, 2008
I only see an issue with the time on the Tuesday game

Sunday was the home opener and the MLB opener. Fenway had a lot of guests and performances during the game that slowed it down. That is understandable

Wednesday's extra inning game going only 3:21 and ending with the home team making the final out is not that long and is an improvmeent over previous years Red Sox yankee games

The team's season opener on Sunday took 3:46 to play. Tuesday night's game went 3:48, while Wednesday night's contest, which went 10 innings, was finished in a relatively brisk 3:21

Sly

Aug 7, 2008
RL24 said:
DWright5 said:
[quote:3pzyxfjd]Boston closer Jonathan Papelbon was fined a few times last season for taking too long to pitch, and one occasion had a ball called on him for that reason.

Link:
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

OK, whichever games you guys watch tonight grab your stopwatch and let me know if 1 single pitch gets fired in under 12 seconds.

How does the pitcher know when the 12 seconds are up? Instead of focusing on the game plan and which pitch they plan to throw and the location and all of that... they are supposed to be counting to 12?

So they don't really give out a ball every time a pitcher exceeds 12 seconds, only when the ump feels like it. Or maybe it's based on how much the ump likes or dislikes the pitcher? That seems fair. And baseball purists are digging all of these rule changes, that's very surprising. And really, giving out free balls to batters leads to more baserunners... that's supposed to speed up the game?[/quote:3pzyxfjd]

It's not so much counting the time, but just being efficient.

Watch a guy like Ryan Rowland-Smith last night. The ball is thrown back to the mound, he's on the rubber, ready to go. He doesn't walk around the mound, or stand behind it taking deep breaths. He gets the ball and he's ready to go. Is it 12 seconds or less? I don't know...but it's efficient.

braden

Aug 7, 2008
Put me in West's camp. I'm glad to see so many people tired of the rivalry. Sure, they've played some wonderful games against each other but they really do drag things out to the point of ridiculousness. Ortiz and Jeter are among the worst offenders for stepping out of the box. The constant mound conferences are unbearable. It's to the point now where I just don't bother even watching them play each other.

jumbojohnny

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
I am starting to hate the Yankees AND the Red Sox

Pro Tip: There are other teams in baseball.

AMEN!!!! I understand the benefits longtime rivalries can bring to the game...But what happened to the other teams in baseball? I hate these two teams not because I am anti Yankees/Redsox...I just want to hear about other baseball related topics when I put on ESPN.

vwnut13

Apr 19, 2009
Vermont
Since all of you guys feel games go to long. Lets:

7 innings.

Get rid of extra innings. If a game is tied past 7, it is a tie.

Only two outs per inning.

If a players fouls four pitches he is out.

That sounds pretty good. That should speed up the game quite nice.

Members online

Latest posts