Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Scanning BGS cases?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Hi all,

Whenever I try to scan BGS graded cases, the scans show as blurry and out-of-focus.

I see that most people on here who scan them seem to have much sharper scans than I do.

What settings should I use to eliminate the blurriness?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
Make sure you set your scanner to Descreen before attempting to scan them (or any card for that matter).

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Sean_C said:
Make sure you set your scanner to Descreen before attempting to scan them (or any card for that matter).

Are there any other terms equal to "descreen"? Don't see that term on my settings.

It is possible that it is the scanner itself, but all my non-encased cards scan quite clearly.

Superfractor

Nov 14, 2009
The Front Range, Colorado
JackLondon said:
Sean_C said:

Are there any other terms equal to "descreen"? Don't see that term on my settings.

It is possible that it is the scanner itself, but all my non-encased cards scan quite clearly.

Officejet-like scanners tend to only scan [clearly] what is touching the glass. CCD-like scanners have tech. that can penetrate the slab, and pick up on the card, too. That's why the one-touch on my sig. does not blur my Superfractor.

marterburn

Also, there are some high-end scanners out there that do not have CCD technology. So while scanners with CCD tend to be more expensive, just because one has an expensive scanner does not mean it has CCD.

(personal experience for me on that one)
::facepalm::

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
It's almost certainly your scanner lacking a CCD (charge-coupled device) which allows it to see through the clear plastic and pick up the card in focus.

The thicker the plastic, the more out of focus it will be with your current scanner. So a top loader will look ok, a PSA slab will be blurry, and a BGS slab will look the worst.

You can buy a CCD scanner for around $100 (some even less) and it will dramatically improve the quality of your scans.

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
Jeff D said:
It's almost certainly your scanner lacking a CCD (charge-coupled device) which allows it to see through the clear plastic and pick up the card in focus.

The thicker the plastic, the more out of focus it will be with your current scanner. So a top loader will look ok, a PSA slab will be blurry, and a BGS slab will look the worst.

You can buy a CCD scanner for around $100 (some even less) and it will dramatically improve the quality of your scans.

Thanks, guys. I will definitely look for a CCD scanner. The jokes about the age of my scanner on the MT have become the stuff of legend. (eg. If I want to scan something, I need to turn on the scanner a few days ahead to warm up; Scanner model is the Gutenberg 2000; etc.) :)

JackLondon

Aug 23, 2008
California
aminors said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360194071946#ht_4809wt_939

Hope you're feeling better, Andrew.

Ant

Up and down with the discomfort here.

Are you home from the hospital yet?

1995BBRefractorGuy

Dec 20, 2008
marterburn said:
Also, there are some high-end scanners out there that do not have CCD technology. So while scanners with CCD tend to be more expensive, just because one has an expensive scanner does not mean it has CCD.

(personal experience for me on that one)
::facepalm::

haha sucker, .... I did the exact same thing ::facepalm:: I even read a review about the scanner I bought having better than CCD abilities, sort of the "new technology" deal, but it turned out to be terrible.

Members online