Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bryce Harper's JuCo Stats Tracker Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Figured I'd start one of these and update it periodically, even though he's already played in 39 games thus far.

His college usually plays two doubleheaders per week.

Yesterday (4/9):

Game 1: 0-3
Game 2: 2-4, HR (13), RBI (38)

Today (4/10) he did quite a bit better, although he committed 3 errors.

Game 1: 1-3, HR (14), RBI (39)
Game 2: 2-3, HR (15), 3 RBI (42)

His current stats are as follows:

.422 (54-128), 13 2B, 1 3B, 15 HR, 42 RBI, 25 BB, 25 K, 11 SB

And for those interested, here's the link to the page with all box scores.

http://sites.csn.edu/dcabrera/baseball/ ... amstat.htm

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Looks like he is more than holding his own as a 17-year old, playing with a wood bat - against guys who maybe two or three years older than he is.

No secret here - kid looks like he has shown the skills to match the hype he had received in high school.

t3dudek

Mar 20, 2010
Yet there will be people that say he is doing it against JuCo players who mostly couldnt get scholarships to play big-time college ball an were not drafted either. A few players per year do get drafted to the pros an such per year. There are sucess stories but Harper is playing against many poor pitchers. His stats are very impressive. I like the Homeruns with a wood bat.

Bosox3

Aug 7, 2008
t3dudek said:
Yet there will be people that say he is doing it against JuCo players who mostly couldnt get scholarships to play big-time college ball an were not drafted either. A few players per year do get drafted to the pros an such per year. There are success stories but Harper is playing against many poor pitchers. His stats are very impressive. I like the Homeruns with a wood bat.

+1

To me..these stats don't mean much just becuase of the talent he's playing against.

TomMurry

Jan 30, 2010
Eastern PA
A HR from a pitching machine throwing an 90mph fastball is the same as one coming from a JuCo pitcher and is the same from a D1 pitcher.
If you can hit, you can hit.

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
GarkoCollector said:
A HR from a pitching machine throwing an 90mph fastball is the same as one coming from a JuCo pitcher and is the same from a D1 pitcher.

Pitching machines don't throw curve balls and breaking balls. Just because you can hit a pitching machine doesn't mean you can hit off a D1 pitcher. If that's the case then this kid should be just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr6HwEJLSKs

thefasterblade

Aug 8, 2008
Playing at a Junior College isn't going to be that challenging for him so you have to take it with a grain of salt.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Most important stat that you cant take away from Harper:

He' is abusing left-handed pitching with a wood bat: (.577/.645/1.038).

All questions about his bat are gone.

The debate is now who do the Pirates take at #2: Pirates are scared to take a HS pitcher and Deck McGuire, Georgia Tech, RHP: Drew Pomeranz from Ole Miss and Anthony Ranaudo are all liked by the Pirates.

So with that said my Top 5

1. Nationals: Harper
2. Pirates: Pomernaz
3. Orioles: Taillon
4. Royals: Whitson
5. Indians: McGuire

Mudcatsfan

Aug 7, 2008
GarkoCollector said:

That is a remarkably inaccurate statement.

If that was true, than every guy who could mash fastballs in AA would be a super star in the majors.

Yet we know that's not true. He still has MANY levels of talent to face before we'll know if he can hit. But yes, it sure does look like he can.

aaron41984

Jun 22, 2009
Despite the fact that he isn't facing MLB pitching yet, like some of you make it sound as tho he should be, I would just be glad you are getting to see the kid perform against a level of talent older and better than HS as well as a taste of his swing with wood. I would take .420 in JuCo over .800 in HS.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
I have to wonder how many people on the FCB actually played baseball, let alone at a high level. Where do these claims and "educated" opinions come from?

Harper is a generational talent, who is doing some incredible things in the JUCO system, with a wood bat, at 17 y/o. We can pick apart his skill set all we want, but remember that even Heyward had some ignorance towards his ability coming into the draft. By ignorance, I mean scouts making excuses and playing him down for dumb reasons (not seeing pitches to hit will make you seem like you aren't that good or selective as a hitter).

What I want to know is....

What's the single season records for wood bat college programs, in HR's and RBI's?

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
NECpilgrims8 said:
I have to wonder how many people on the FCB actually played baseball, let alone at a high level. Where do these claims and "educated" opinions come from?

Harper is a generational talent, who is doing some incredible things in the JUCO system, with a wood bat, at 17 y/o. We can pick apart his skill set all we want, but remember that even Heyward had some ignorance towards his ability coming into the draft. By ignorance, I mean scouts making excuses and playing him down for dumb reasons (not seeing pitches to hit will make you seem like you aren't that good or selective as a hitter).

What I want to know is....

What's the single season records for wood bat college programs, in HR's and RBI's?

I don't know what the record is for all wood bat jucos, but CSN's was 12 HR, so Harper is well clear of that with, I think, 16 regular season games to go, plus the post season. If CSN makes a run at the national title, Harper could post 25+ HR's.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
With just under two months to go before the draft, it appears as though the Nats have made it official.

From Rotoworld:

Bryce Harper C High School Player
Height: 6'2' Weight: 185 DOB: 10/1/1992 Age: 17 Bats: L Throws: R
Apr. 13, 2010 - 8:33 a.m. ET

Ben Goessling of MASN reports that the Nationals plan to select 17-year-old catcher Bryce Harper in this year's first-year player draft.

There has been some speculation that the Nats would look elsewhere, since a handful of scouts are down on Harper. But Goessling hears that the Nationals see the youngster as being "head and shoulders" above the rest of the upcoming draft's talent pool. Harper is batting .422/.516/.891 with 15 homers and 42 RBI through 39 games at the College of Southern Nevada.

Source: MASNSports.com

Halonut

Aug 7, 2008
t3dudek said:
Yet there will be people that say he is doing it against JuCo players who mostly couldnt get scholarships to play big-time college ball an were not drafted either. A few players per year do get drafted to the pros an such per year. There are sucess stories but Harper is playing against many poor pitchers. His stats are very impressive. I like the Homeruns with a wood bat.

honestly, west of texas, a lot of very, very talented players choose to go the juco route. there are many reasons for this including the fact that players are draft eligible twice before they would be had they gone to a 4 year college.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
This was recorded two days ago. This is one of the few things he does in his free time. :mrgreen:

I'm liking that swing, how about you all?

[youtube:9ooqch54]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlGDzeT7K6Q[/youtube:9ooqch54]

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Last 4 games (2 doubleheaders), Friday & Saturday (4/16 & 4/17):

Friday:

0-7, BB, 2 K

Saturday:

3-7, 2 HR (16 & 17), 4 RBI, K

Stats to date:

.401 (57-142), 13 2B, 1 3B, 17 HR, 46 RBI, 26 BB, 28 K, 11 SB

Hot and cold. His team lost all four games, too. Still, everyone has days like these, and he did go deep twice.

Members online

Latest posts