Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is Minnesota considered a big market team in terms of cards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
NOTE: I dont mean "big market" in terms of their spending as a team. I mean strictly as the following the Twins have and how many collectors they have. I am referring to "big market" more as "big following". Strictly talking about card prices not players they buy.

Theres been some talk in the past few days about the Red Sox going hard after Joe Mauer when hes up for free agency and I was just wondering what the Twins market is like? Would a move to a team like Boston have the same effect on his cards if he was coming from a really bad, low market team?

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
Re: Is Minnesota considered a "big market team"

JoshHamilton said:

Not sure what you answered no to. Them being a big market team or a move to Boston not bumping his prices?

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008

MallCopKJ said:
JoshHamilton said:

Not sure what you answered no to. Them being a big market team or a move to Boston not bumping his prices?

They're a small market penny pinching team. Pohlad (or whatever his name is) is a *********.

If Mauer went to the Sox his cards would see a pretty good spike

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008

JoshHamilton said:
MallCopKJ said:
JoshHamilton said:

They're a small market penny pinching team. Pohlad (or whatever his name is) is a *********.

Sorry about that, I meant more of a "big following" than "big market". I have noticed some teams who dont spend a lot on players still have fans that go all out for players cards of the team. Kind of like the Raiders in football I guess.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008

MallCopKJ said:
JoshHamilton said:
MallCopKJ said:
JoshHamilton said:

Sorry about that, I meant more of a "big following" than "big market". I have noticed some teams who dont spend a lot on players still have fans that go all out for players cards of the team. Kind of like the Raiders in football I guess.
Only team where a player has an active trading site:
pneshek.proboards38.com/

Johan Santana 57

Aug 8, 2008
Harrison, NY
well there was a definite spike with johans to the mets, so I would guess the same for Mauer. However, they did fall back to normal pretty much to where they were on MINN so I wouldnt recommend buying Mauer at that time but selling should work just fine.

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
In Minnesota, the Twins have a good sized fan base. The same cannot be said of the Twolves. Outside of this state though, both teams aren't that big in terms of following.

Cards wise, both teams sell extremely cheap. No doubt Morneau and Mauer are the heroes of the Twins and if/when they go, the Twins are done.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
want to compare to pirates? at least twins locals support more and i agree big name players do spike if moved to a bigger name team.

flightposite

Aug 7, 2008
As with most stars going anywhere, you'll seen an initial price increase.

But, people are so quick to say that guys don't get any $$ respect in Minnesota. Having been a huge Twins collector in the past, I have, and will continue to say that those people are 100% wrong.

Granted, Minnesota will never have the $$ backing of a Boston or both NY teams, as fare as the hobby goes, I think they are up there quite high.

Johan Santana Gold Refractor rookies never went for under $500 when he played for the Twins... He moved to the Mets and now the going rate is about $200, quite a shift if you ask me.

When I bring this up, people say, "oh, well, Johan was winning Cy Young awards in MN, he's not in NY." Well, the year he didn't win the Cy Young his cards were still as high. He was also still being discussed for the Cy Young in the NL this year, he just didn't have the wins to go with the stats. And using the Cy Young as an argument is just plain incorrect anyway, can you show me where someone winning the Cy Young has truely impacted the sales of their cards? People buy on performance and popularity... usually not awards.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Living in MN and not really being a fan of any of the teams... and going to card shows and seeing TONS of local stuff and pretty much nothing else... it's highly concentrated around local players/teams.

Sorry if this offends some MN team fans but... it's very fair weather when it comes to supporting teams and players. My guess is that if Mauer were to go somewhere else, his stuff would be dumped a fair amount (but not completely since he's a local guy). I really think his prices should be higher but... he doesn't have the glory stats (homers) and doesn't beat his chest when he gets a hit.

Members online