Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

PRINCE FIELDER - What will he sign for and with whom?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
I am devastated that Prince wants $25 million per year. Is it greed? At any rate. What team do you think will get him? I would prefer the Red Sox, he would hit 50+ HRS per year there.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
It's unfortunate that the perception of greed lands on the player. The money is there and the real winners are the sponsors, the team that can afford him, and the MLB.

marterburn

As long as the Brewers are not contending later this year:

I think he's going to follow the career path of Teixeira. He'll get traded at the deadline, and next year's deadline, then sign with a big-market team in offseason 2011-12. It's just your standard Boras MO.

sheetskout

Administrator
Aug 10, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
He'll get around 23 million barring a set back this season and it won't be with the Brewers. He will be traded for prospects.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
securedsports said:
I am devastated that Prince wants $25 million per year. Is it greed? At any rate. What team do you think will get him? I would prefer the Red Sox, he would hit 50+ HRS per year there.
If they don't get Adrian Gonzalez it could be a possibility. I'd love to see him hitting in Fenway.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I just hope they get a king's ransom for Prince (see what I did there?).

I think he is worth a 2/3 SP and a decent pitching prospect, maybe more?

I always thought the Giants made sense as a trade partner. Plus, they could make a run at signing him.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
hive17 said:

I always thought the Giants made sense as a trade partner. Plus, they could make a run at signing him.
The Giants have the prospects/young players to put a package together for fielder. a mix of future stars and young talent that could play now.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
hive17 said:

There was the running rumor of Prince for Cain. I don't think that's even a thought any more.

I also see him going to same route as CC and Tex but he's not going to the Yankees. They will probably land Carl Crawford and won't pay him 19 MIL to DH.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
darocker80 said:
hive17 said:

The Giants have the prospects/young players to put a package together for fielder. a mix of future stars and young talent that could play now.

I dont see the Giants as a legitimate trade partner unless Posey somehow became available (which I HIGHLY doubt). Fielder is going to cost a TON to acquire.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
I always assumed he would be looking for $20-25M a year. The question is for how many years.

I don't see ANYONE willing to put out 8 years/$25M. I would think the Brewer's are offering around $120-135 for 5/6 years.
Mark may be willing to do $140-150M for 7 years, and I would be surprised if the offers go higher than that from Milwaukee. But keeping him here represents a huge boost in attendance. With Fielder and Braun, Milwaukee always has a chance at bringing in the fans, and winning.

My guess is that the Red Sox will put in a bid at around $150-160M for 6/7 years.

And the thought of trading him for prospects is really pissing me off, right now.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
Jays_Cards said:
darocker80 said:
hive17 said:

I dont see the Giants as a legitimate trade partner unless Posey somehow became available (which I HIGHLY doubt). Fielder is going to cost a TON to acquire.
Bumgarner is still a hyped prospect, and still has high value. Combine him with either Neal or Kieshnick, throw in Fred Lewis and or Nate Scheirholtz and henry sosa, and i think that could pry off Fielder if he is on his last year with the Brewers (i don't know his contract situation).

Also you could possibly add in Tommy Joseph as he's raking right now, and should open some eyes (2nd rounder, catcher with pop)

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
darocker80 said:
Jays_Cards said:
darocker80 said:
hive17 said:

Bumgarner is still a hyped prospect, and still has high value. Combine him with either Neal or Kieshnick, throw in Fred Lewis and or Nate Scheirholtz and henry sosa, and i think that could pry off Fielder if he is on his last year with the Brewers (i don't know his contract situation).

Also you could possibly add in Tommy Joseph as he's raking right now, and should open some eyes (2nd rounder, catcher with pop)

The Brewers would definitely want at least one elite level prospect in return for Prince. With the velo concerns that Bumgarner has had lately, I dont see a lot of interest in him. The Giants do have a deep system, so a Prince trade could be possible, but I dont see it.

Jeff D

Mar 28, 2009
I would also just like to add that if Fielder thought things through a little, and didn't listen to that money grubbing sack of **** Boras, he could end up with more money in the long run.

Milwaukee would be MORE than happy to pay $110-120M/5 years. After those 5 years (a contract starting after next year), he'll still only be like 32 when he would be a free agent again. Incidentally, that is about how old Pujols (claims he) will be at the end of next year.
(Sorry if my math is off by a few months, I'm too lazy to do the actual calcualtions).

So if he continues his success in Milwaukee, he'll have another very good chance of signing for another 5-7 years (whether in Milwaukee, or wherever). And in case nobody noticed, contracts are getting larger and larger, and whatever he signs for now isn't going to be adjusted for that (or ACTUAL) inflation in 6-7 years. Passing on that extra $50M now, could mean another $120M+ in 5 years.

Obviously there's the risk of injury or a collapse in performance, but it's not like he's going to the poor house with $100M+ in his pocket right now. But realistically, if he signs for $25M/8 years, who is going to give a 35 year old slugger a 5+ year contract worth $100M+ when he's up for free agency again in 2020.

But what do I know? Getting as absolutely much as you can possible get now, for as long as possible, from whomever is willing to offer it, is probably the only way to go.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
i agree with multiple posters on this one...

most likely destination is San Fran with the asterisk that he'll definitely in Boston if the Sox don't get Adrian Gonzalez or Miguel Cabrera or someone like that.

call me crazy but I also wouldn't rule out Atlanta getting involved with Prince or Adrian. The guys on 680 were talking about the Adrian possibility today. A long shot, I'm sure, but still.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
Milwaukee needs pitching like crazy so if they do move Fielder, I hope they are smart and get a few good SP's and prospects out of the deal. As much as I would hate to see Fielder go, I think this would be in Milwaukee's best interest to trade him. Too bad they can't trade him right now...

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
I see a few possibilities here....

Red Sox for Casey Kelly, Michael Bowden, and Josh Reddick

Giants for 2 pitching prospects, take your pick, and Buster Posey or Kung Fu Panda.

I actually wouldn't mind these trades. Lock up Braun for the rest of his career now. He will then look upon as the savior and not as greedy.

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
securedsports said:

Giants for 2 pitching prospects, take your pick, and Buster Posey or Kung Fu Panda.
I actually wouldn't mind these trades. Lock up Braun for the rest of his career now. He will then look upon as the savior and not as greedy.

You are high. Why would they trade one of the their 2 best young players for a player they might not be able to resign.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
darocker80 said:
Jays_Cards said:
darocker80 said:
hive17 said:

Fred Lewis and Henry Sosa aren't adding much to that package whatsoever.

LazerShow15

Apr 2, 2009
Wisconsin
kdailey4315 said:
securedsports said:

You are high. Why would they trade one of the their 2 best young players for a player they might not be able to resign.

High I am not, because Prince is one of the top 5 players in the game. Look at his stats. Any trade will come with a long term deal. Wherever he is traded will be his home for the next 6-8 years.