Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Top 10 pitchers for 2010

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
There's been so much change at the top when it comes to starting pitchers over the last few years, and thinking about it earlier today I found it harder than ever to list who I think are the top 10 pitchers in baseball. The way I'm qualifying it here is for the current season, not for future value.

Here's what I came up with:

1. Roy Halladay
2. Tim Lincecum
3. CC Sabathia
4. Chris Carpenter
5. Felix Hernandez
6. Johan Santana
7. Justin Verlander
8. Zack Greinke
9. Jon Lester
10. Ubaldo Jimenez

Anyone else care to make a list?

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
I'll give it a shot with a tentative list.

1. Lincecum
2. Halladay
3. Sabathia
4. Greinke
5. Felix
6. Santana
7. Lester
8. Garza
9. Hanson
10. Cain

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
1. Halladay
2. Lincey
3. Grienke
4. Verlander
5. CC
6. King Felix
7. Wainwright
8. Cain
9. Carpenter
10. Johan

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Casey2884 said:
I would definitely remove Jimenez from the list ... and replace him with Beckett or Wainwright
Never liked Beckett all that much, and while Waitwright was great last year, I like what Ubaldo has done last year and his first two starts this year. Could be a little presumptuous on my part though.

Codasco07

Aug 7, 2008
DC/StL
Topnotchsy said:
Casey2884 said:
I would definitely remove Jimenez from the list ... and replace him with Beckett or Wainwright
Never liked Beckett all that much, and while Waitwright was great last year, I like what Ubaldo has done last year and his first two starts this year. Could be a little presumptuous on my part though.

I love Jimenez too as does Ryan Braun, "He's throwing 99 and the ball is moving a foot and a half. He's got great stuff. We won't face anybody with better stuff -- ever.
He has as good of stuff as you'll see in the game."

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Casey2884 said:

Or Cliff Lee. Injury aside, he's still a Top 10 Pitcher this year. And Brett Anderson is in the discussion very soon, if not now.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
Topnotchsy said:
Casey2884 said:

I think Beckett is vastly overrated as a Red Sox pitcher. His numbers always look good because he is a good pitcher on a great team, which leads to wins.

If he were on a bad team, his numbers would not look as impressive, because he would not have nearly as many wins over the last five years. It's basically the same argument that some people posed for CC/Greinke in the Cy Young race last year. Consider what their numbers would look like on a BAD/GOOD team rather than the one they are on.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Topnotchsy said:
Casey2884 said:

I think Beckett is vastly overrated as a Red Sox pitcher. His numbers always look good because he is a good pitcher on a great team, which leads to wins.

If he were on a bad team, his numbers would not look as impressive, because he would not have nearly as many wins over the last five years. It's basically the same argument that some people posed for CC/Greinke in the Cy Young race last year. Consider what their numbers would look like on a BAD/GOOD team rather than the one they are on.

That and his post season efforts, he's had some huge games. In the regular season though he hasn't truly been elite but has still been very good.

All The Hype

Aug 7, 2008
Indianapolis
andyduke86 said:
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Topnotchsy said:
Casey2884 said:

That and his post season efforts, he's had some huge games. In the regular season though he hasn't truly been elite but has still been very good.

Exactly, I think his postseason performance and win totals are what mislead people to think that he is an elite pitcher, when really I think he is just a good pitcher.

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
ALL_THE_HYPE said:
Topnotchsy said:
Casey2884 said:

And put him in a crappy division with terrible offensive teams and watch what happens. Pitchers in the AL East are vastly underrated considering what they have to face throughout the season. The Rays, Yanks, and Sox have accounted for 3 of the top 5 offenses in baseball over the last few years. Pitching against very good hitting teams in hitter friendly ball parks makes this argument pointless. Halladay is going to put up some video game numbers in the NL this year. Put Lincy in a hitters park in the AL East and watch his ERA jump by a full run easily.

MacK

Aug 7, 2008
des1984 said:
seriously, I think wainwright needs to be on that list.

I agree. And not because I collect him.

He was 19-8 with a 2.63 ERA last year. There's no reason why Carpenter should be so much higher, as they were neck and neck all of last year.

If you like what Ubaldo has done his 2 starts, you'll love what Wainwright has done. He's 2-0 with a 1.20 ERA. Just pitched 8 scoreless yesterday. Yes, against the Astros, but no one could have hit what he was throwing yesterday.

dchurg

Aug 11, 2008
sheetskout said:
Young pitchers who could very well be on that list at year's end:

Brett Anderson
Brian Matusz
Clayton Kershaw
Yovani Gallardo
:D

1-0 12ip 10so 0er

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
Jays_Cards said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":q79tgz4y]
Topnotchsy said:
Casey2884 said:

And put him in a crappy division with terrible offensive teams and watch what happens. Pitchers in the AL East are vastly underrated considering what they have to face throughout the season. The Rays, Yanks, and Sox have accounted for 3 of the top 5 offenses in baseball over the last few years. Pitching against very good hitting teams in hitter friendly ball parks makes this argument pointless. Halladay is going to put up some video game numbers in the NL this year. Put Lincy in a hitters park in the AL East and watch his ERA jump by a full run easily.[/quote:q79tgz4y]

If that's true then how come his away career ERA isn't a run higher? Last year it was but in 2008 it was actually lower on the road. Once again you fail at interpreting baseball talent.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
kdailey4315 said:
Jays_Cards said:
[quote="ALL_THE_HYPE":a2pntdqc]
Topnotchsy said:
Casey2884 said:

And put him in a crappy division with terrible offensive teams and watch what happens. Pitchers in the AL East are vastly underrated considering what they have to face throughout the season. The Rays, Yanks, and Sox have accounted for 3 of the top 5 offenses in baseball over the last few years. Pitching against very good hitting teams in hitter friendly ball parks makes this argument pointless. Halladay is going to put up some video game numbers in the NL this year. Put Lincy in a hitters park in the AL East and watch his ERA jump by a full run easily.

If that's true then how come his away career ERA isn't a run higher? Last year it was but in 2008 it was actually lower on the road. Once again you fail at interpreting baseball talent.[/quote:a2pntdqc]

John Smoltz and Brad Penny

/endgame

Members online

Latest posts