Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Madison Bumgarner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I wonder how much longer the Giants will go until they shut Bumgarner down ? Madison has stopped throwing in between starts. I imagine his 14.00+ ERA would say its time.

19braves77

Oct 23, 2008
Pensacola, FL
It might be like the Jarrod Parker situation last year. Both parties don't want to accept the solution: surgery. Parker hurt himself on June 15, 2009 and was allowed to prepare for his next start. He then spent a month flirting with long toss and finally had surgery on October 28th after his 2nd visit with Dr. Andrews. If they would have had the TJ surgery three weeks after he was hurt when his wrist was still swollen like a baseball he would have been able to pitch around August of this year and then got some extra work also in Fall Instructs and the AFL.

Its not like the Giants have misdiagnosed injuries before: Look at Noah Lowery.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
I don't think Bumgarner is hurt like Parker was. Bumgarner's loss of velocity is a mystery to everyone. The giants took a long look at him this spring and felt like he was wasting a lot of arm action at the top of is delivery and throwing too much across his body. He probably just needs some tinkering with his mechanics. He went a long way with natural ability and now he is going to have to work. They are probably going to try to get him to use more lower body too. Unless he is injured I think his velocity will be back to 92-94 by June.

andyduke86

Nov 22, 2008
His domination in the SAL is really helping him out now isn't it? With a fastball that touches 91 on a good day and no offspeed pitch that grades out as even average, it's going to be tough to find much success as a starter in AAA or MLB.

johnny rook

Aug 10, 2008
CA
19braves77 said:
I wonder how much longer the Giants will go until they shut Bumgarner down ? Madison has stopped throwing in between starts. I imagine his 14.00+ ERA would say its time.
Curious where you read this.

miguelcabrera said:
has his super been pulled
Not Mine.
50cd_1.jpg

Jurgy25

Aug 14, 2008
Northern California
I've been saying it since the beginning, that Madison probably wasn't going to turn out. While his SALy league impressed me, it is his lack of true 2nd pitch and the fact that real ball players are able to hit a fast fastball. Another problem with Madison is that he is a perfectionist. One of the hardest working young players, because he also trying to strive to be better and better. His velocity disappeared with his attempt at strengthening his secondary pitches. Really hope he regain his velocity this year.

goblue6919

Aug 7, 2008
Jurgy25 said:
I've been saying it since the beginning, that Madison probably wasn't going to turn out. While his SALy league impressed me, it is his lack of true 2nd pitch and the fact that real ball players are able to hit a fast fastball. Another problem with Madison is that he is a perfectionist. One of the hardest working young players, because he also trying to strive to be better and better. His velocity disappeared with his attempt at strengthening his secondary pitches. Really hope he regain his velocity this year.

That's a bad thing?

Obviously something is wrong. His velocity is down and I know that his step-sister or someone closely related to him died this off season who he was very close to so maybe that's still affecting him.

Whether it's a vacation, rest or surgery the Giants and Madison will figure it out. He's only 20 so even if he needs tommy john he's got plenty of time to bounce back.

His stock has dropped.. but I'm confident he will go back to being himself eventually.

Jul 30, 2009
Since his 2007 Super is known, I pulled his 1/1 auto from EEE right when it was released and sold it for over $300 (that same box also yielded an Austin Jackson auto /25).

brianga26

Aug 7, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Check out Maddy's arm action on his RC's. That might give you some inclination of why he has dropped. His arm action is putting a lot of pressure on his shoulder..

mwashuc06

Aug 7, 2008
bigredmachine said:
I always thought Alderson was a better prospect than Bumgarner.

Personally I think both will be marginal big leaguers, with Alderson carving out a relief role due to the curveball.

seitas

Aug 7, 2008
Alright I watched Bumgarner tonight and think that the doubters are being a bit premature. His fastball had good cutting action and was sitting at 92/93 all night. When he needed more he pushed to 94 but couldn't find the zone. His offspeed stuff still needs work but his fastball was back tonight. He has great diving action into a right handed hitters front side that will jam even good mlb hitters. I did notice that he seemed like he was rushing tonight. He seemed like he was trying to hump up a few times and show some heat; those times he hit 94 but was high and wide and looked like he was over throwing. He also seemed like he wasn't finishing his pitches too many times. I think the off season was an eventful one for him and possibly a bit overwhelming and he came into camp distracted. He didn't get lucky with his previous success and every scout that saw him couldn't have been wrong. I think he bounces back. And to be fair I do think that he was overhyped and now I think he is being overscrutinized so I guess it evens out.