Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Favorite ball player of your heritage (ethnic, race, etc.,)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justinmandawg

Aug 7, 2008
Kansas City
My family is very Irish American. i probably talk about it too much, but w/ the small mix of a few others, (African American, Choctaw, English, and German all minor players in my heritage) I am very proud of my heritage and what people gave up to come to the states.

My favorite modern Irish American ball player is Tug McGraw. I had a ton of his cards as a kid. I am a Royals fan born and bred. Having a phillies cards in the early 80s was embarrassing.

This has to be the worst worded thread i've ever started.

McGwire is loved by Irish Americans, or at least was until he didn't fess up.

MOFNY

Aug 9, 2008
East Greenwich, RI
I would have to say Lou Gehrig, who apparently is the second child of German immigrants. And on my mother's side I would have to find a Dane.

jdacunha

Nov 12, 2008
Newark, NJ
Portuguese:

1) Mark Teixeira
2) Mark DeRosa
3) Robin Ventura

Managers: Billy Martin (1/2 portuguese)

I think Dustin Pedroia is portuguese...but he is a Red Sox

lovethatsticky

Jun 8, 2009
As a Puerto Rican, Roberto Clemente has been a personal hero of mine for the past decade of my life since I read about him at the age of 11. A true icon for my people.
Him, and Big Pun.

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
jdacunha said:
matfanofold said:
Hmm...

I'm American, so I'll have to go with mid 80's Dwight Gooden. :cool:

No one is "American" we all have roots from somewhere else.

I was born here, but my family came from Portugal.

Well, with that train of thought we supposidly all originated as human beings out of africa and spread so....

Eithor way, I'm American.

Jurgy25

Aug 14, 2008
Northern California
Well I first looked at Norwegian born ballplayers, and there were only 3 in history, so I then went with German born and was surprised to see Edwin Jackson was born in Germany.

While he is not my favorite player, still cool that he was born in Germany.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Jurgy25 said:
Well I first looked at Norwegian born ballplayers, and there were only 3 in history, so I then went with German born and was surprised to see Edwin Jackson was born in Germany.

While he is not my favorite player, still cool that he was born in Germany.

He's an army brat.

RL24

Dec 12, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
jdacunha said:
matfanofold said:
Hmm...

I'm American, so I'll have to go with mid 80's Dwight Gooden. :cool:

No one is "American" we all have roots from somewhere else.

I was born here, but my family came from Portugal.

Let me get this straight... I'm American Indian... please tell me where my roots are from, and let me know what I am since I'm not American.

On a more serious note, since I'm probably 7.2% Native American... and like 10% German, and maybe appx 22% Irish, and who knows what else......... who am I supposed to be cheering for? Go Americans!! :lol:

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
I'm a mutt.

Seriously, theres nothing about my family history that is strong enough to even start to claim any particular heritage. My fathers parents met in an orphanage as wards of the state, and that side of the family pretty much ends there.

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
As a Latino some of my favorites are, in no particular order;Ted Williams (half Mexican....just the good half ;) ), Roberto Clemente, Mariano Rivera, Fernando and Canseco. I met Jose at a card show many years ago and he was super nice to all of the kids and all of the ladies.

maxpower

Jan 6, 2010
To quote Mitch Hedberg: "I don't care if they're black, white, purple or green ... Ooh hold on now: Purple or Green? You gotta draw the line somewhere! To hell with purple people! - Unless they're suffocating. Then help 'em."

My favorite ballplayer is Roberto Clemente, but he's not the same ethnicity as me.

Members online

Latest posts