Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What's your opinion on Casey McGehee??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

numba1yankeefan

Nov 29, 2008
Long Island
what do you guys think about him and why are his cards not getting any hobby love??

a .300 hitter who has power who bats 5th for the brewers

i'm about ready to buy in but curious if his cards have any chance to move if he continues to hit

Reyes7tulo2

Aug 8, 2008
He's a solid player. Good contributor on my fantasy team, too. But in today's card market, I don't see his stuff going up much. He can't improve too much from last year, so you know what you are going to get from him.

pujolsjunkie

Aug 8, 2008
Good player, but I do not see his cards becoming a hot item. Needs a better market or needs to become a superstar, and neither of those are happening.

subject to change

Aug 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
From a collecting standpoint, I would think Prince, Braun, Gallardo, and possibly even Weeks, Escobar, and Gamel would be ahead of McGehee. There are only so many hobby dollars to go around, and in a market like Milwaukee, I just don't see any room for his cards to go up much.

Anthony K.

Aug 7, 2008
Enterprise, Alabama
Pretty much reiterating what others are saying, but from a value standpoint, he really cannot go much "higher".

As for his actual production, believe the hype. He hit 16 homers in less than 350 at bats last year and has a full time gig batting right behind Braun and Fielder (only other 3-4 I would rather be behind is Pujols-Holliday). I see him being a .290-80-25-100-10 kind of guy this season, which is RIDICULOUS (especially in fantasy, where he qualifies 2b and 3b) for a guy who was picked up from waivers.

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
Hate to toot my own horn ,but I said this guy was going to be pretty good pretty early on. After the Cubs waived him he tore up the winter league and then got a lucky break with the Brewers. A nice hot streak or a solid .280 30HR 80RBI season and people will take notice. He's not very flashy, kinda old, plays on a loaded team ,but if he continues to hit his cards will rise (especially from where they started).

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
Sorry, but 27 year old 2nd year guys rarely make a good buy. What long term value can his cards possibly have? You may get a few impulse buys on his stuff if he gets hot, but most seasoned collectors know he is 27 and his cards won't have long term value. Just my take.

numba1yankeefan

Nov 29, 2008
Long Island
well, his cards look like they are going up

sterling autos for $12-15+

a green ref sold for almost $25

I just bought 2 sterling auto's, 1 sterling gold ref auto, 6 bowman chrome rc's, 6 topps chrome rc's, 1 topps pristine rc, 1 topps pristine bronze uncirculated rc for $65 dlvd, hopefully I made a good investment ;)

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I think, and I could be wrong, but the fact that he is a Cub in his first-year cards and even his first auto could be a big turn-off for the Brewer collecting set.

But as for there being no where to go: a solid season is a solid season. Make an All-Star Game or something, and who knows. Saying there is no money to be made because he's 27 seems silly, sicne there are plenty of people making money right now on Nelson Cruz cards...

dherm360

Mar 30, 2010
Glove is real suspect, but should be a .300 hitter with 25 HRs and 100 RBIs--Hes hitting .400 was 3-4 today, but if the bottom of the order doesent start picking it up, teams will start pitching around him

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
AndruwHRJones said:
Sorry, but 27 year old 2nd year guys rarely make a good buy. What long term value can his cards possibly have? You may get a few impulse buys on his stuff if he gets hot, but most seasoned collectors know he is 27 and his cards won't have long term value. Just my take.

Although not the same caliber of player, but did your theory apply for Ryan Howard as well?

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
I bought his 05 B.Chrome Gold Ref #d 1/50 & won it along with a 05 B.Chrome Brett Hayes Gold Ref/50 for $.99 + $3 s/h...needless to say that was before he got called up (I made a nice sell on that one to a board member last year)!

I still think there is opportunity for movement & to make some $$ on McGehee (especially given the level his buy-in is at).

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
prospectorgems said:
AndruwHRJones said:

Although not the same caliber of player, but did your theory apply for Ryan Howard as well?

Well, I did say RARELY make a good buy. But to answer your question, Howard was a completely different story. Howard was clearly a HR threat based on his minor league stats and winning MVP's. Casey had spent 6 years in the minors before last year and hadn't hit more than 12 HR's or hit over .300 in that time. I am not saying there isn't money to made short term while he is hot. But I doubt many are investing in his cards for the long term. He may be a late bloomer, but I still see his potential as limited and his long term value in cards as weak.

carrsallstars

Sep 16, 2009
Not seeing it at all- he woudl have to be a really late bloomer as his career minor league line is a soft: .279 AVG, .332 OBP, and .409 SLG. His MLB numbers through 125 games are all above that. Certainly hitting in the 5 spot for MIL could maximize his stats but if you are looking for much more than his 2009 campaign I think you'll be disappointed. He hadn't had a SLG as high as .499 since 2002 when he was at Fresno State!

AKA Coastal

Aug 7, 2008
It's been proven time and time again that age isn't going to stop a players cards from rising if he's putting up stats at the major league level. The buy-ins on these "prospect cougars" is much cheaper than the younger prospects. Casey McGehee '05 BC green refractors could be had for $2.00 a piece last year at this time and one just ended for $20+ shipped yesterday. Plenty of money to made of these guys.

Members online

Latest posts