Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Boston WHO??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aminors

Aug 7, 2008
Southern IN
They have a certain player who sticks around because he's a fan favorite but he really sucks and needs to sit the bench (name rhymes with David Ortiz), but a certain manager is too..."patient"...to let that happen (name rhymes with Terry Francona).

Ant

Zymco

Nov 14, 2008
Bellflower, California
BJUpton.jpg
Longox.jpg

But its really all about the pitching, if Garza and Price and get back to form after just BAD years last year they are going to have a chance to win games, espically if Wade Davis pitches like he did yesterday.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Lester has started off the past 3 seasons (this one included) by pitching very poorly. Meanwhile some of the big bats (Youk, V-Mart etc.) are struggling. They should be fine.

On another note, nice to see Upton hitting with some power!!

Jays_Cards

Jan 1, 2009
Boston is not hitting at all right now and Lester has been terrible. The Sox are a completely different team without Ellsbury in the lineup as well.

coltsnsox07

Aug 19, 2008
For some reason I'm convinced the Red Sox will be a much better team with Adrian Gonzalez on the team. Am I unrealistic? Bowden or Buccholz or anyone else they deal for him is fine with me.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
Plus you have to add the 8 unearned runs (I believe it is) so far this season.
All the talk about "run - prevention" and they've already pretty much lost 3 games due to unearned runs.

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
They have stopped bringing young players up for some reason and have decided to try to win with old baseball players who are nothings. Yes, there are several young players on the team but when do you decide to not pay Mike "K 170 times and hit .225" Cameron and start one of the young outfielders in your system.
They refuse to pay for good players, either with money or prospects. If they wouldnt let Reddick start in the outfield, resign Jason Bay.
They pay too much money for guys who they believe are worth it, based on ratings rather than stats (ie. Epstein saying JD Drew is wirth "a tick over $14 million"). Really? I would have liked Bobby Abreau for $5 million last year over Drews $14 million "value".
The manager has worn out his welcome. Hes too loyal to ball players when he should be concerned about winning baseball games. He says sitting Ortiz down would "lose him". Francona is losing Ortiz by putting him in the lineup, letting him fail, then when he actually puts something together, sitting him dow.

Overall, they just suck right now.

rehmus

Mar 10, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
I think that's the scariest part about all of this as a Red Sox fan. Obviously Drew and Ortiz have to go, but that's just two guys. It doesnt feel like we're 2 guys away from being good.

I've said it since the end of last year: David Ortiz wont be on this team by the all-star break.

Ellsbury being back will help. Hermedia is solid enough to replace Drew. Youk and V-Mart and Pedroia will be fine. The pitchers will be better... Maybe all we need is Adrian Gonzalez but I'm still nervous.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Ortiz has killed them for awhile now. I cringed at the thought of Cameron in pinstripes. He is awful. Reddick should definately be up.

MallCopKJ said:
They have stopped bringing young players up for some reason and have decided to try to win with old baseball players who are nothings. Yes, there are several young players on the team but when do you decide to not pay Mike "K 170 times and hit .225" Cameron and start one of the young outfielders in your system.
They refuse to pay for good players, either with money or prospects. If they wouldnt let Reddick start in the outfield, resign Jason Bay.
They pay too much money for guys who they believe are worth it, based on ratings rather than stats (ie. Epstein saying JD Drew is wirth "a tick over $14 million"). Really? I would have liked Bobby Abreau for $5 million last year over Drews $14 million "value".
The manager has worn out his welcome. Hes too loyal to ball players when he should be concerned about winning baseball games. He says sitting Ortiz down would "lose him". Francona is losing Ortiz by putting him in the lineup, letting him fail, then when he actually puts something together, sitting him dow.

rymflaherty

Aug 7, 2008
MallCopKJ said:

It's hard to argue with much of that at this point - but I still think it was best (for the long term) not signing Bay to a big deal. To be fair to Theo there weren't a lot of viable options in the FA market this past year....I think the fact he signed guys like Cameron and Beltre to short-term deals does leave the door open for the young guys.....those guys are nothing more than a band-aid and a short term solution to get through this year until the younger guys are ready. As for Reddick, he's probably the one guy ready now......I still don't blame them for signing Cameron though, because realistically. how long will it be until he or Drew are on the DL. When Reddick gets the call up I think it'll be a good chance he's up for good.

Before all the talk of "run-prevention", I recall Theo referring to this year as a "bridge season" and that got everyone up in arms and he went away from the statement......looking at this team now, it seems he was right. Most of these deals were nothing more than trying to stay competitive, until they can make a big trade, dump some of this dead money, and have the next group of youngsters come up over the next year or two.

allstarauction

Aug 7, 2008
They are the 3rd best team in the East and the few players All-Star caliber players they do have are struggling. Not sure what they are thinking trotting Ortiz out there everyday still.

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
It's 12 games. Every team in MLB has a stretch like this - it is just more noticeable because it is the beginning of the year. They will be fine and right there in September.

rebelpawn

Aug 7, 2008
La Jolla. CA
craftysouthpaw said:
It's 12 games. Every team in MLB has a stretch like this - it is just more noticeable because it is the beginning of the year. They will be fine and right there in September.

I'm usually one to agree with statements like this but what's happened so far is just ridiculous. I mean again they have had more miscues in the field and it's already 6-0 Tampa in the 3rd inning. I can't believe they are this bad. I mean it really is shocking.

DaveH

Apr 28, 2009
bj-upton.jpg

^the reason the red sox will not be "fine" by september. a big part of baseball is confidence... I don't know if you guys understand the weight of a 4-game sweep in Boston... and I'm all about sss/april, etc... its a long season... but BOSSMAN's shoulder is back, Garza is back, Price is blossoming...

Members online