Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Red Sox lose bid for 2012 All Star Game ... to Kansas City

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
Not really surprised. Fenway will stay relatively the same for the next 5-10 years, while Kaufman appears to have had some major renovations. Fenway will be in consideration along with Yankee stadium, and others for pretty much every all star game anyways. It will be there again by 2020

bdj610

Aug 7, 2008
Des Plaines, IL
And this is surprising how???

They've been talking about awarding the Game to KC since 2007 I think.

Besides, why should MLB give the game to Boston again, when they hosted it in 1999? That's only 12 seasons later. Granted Pittsburgh hosted the ASG in 1994 AND 2006, but that's because Pittsburgh built a new stadium not long afterwards...

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008
bdj610 said:

Besides, why should MLB give the game to Boston again, when they hosted it in 1999? That's only 12 seasons later. Granted Pittsburgh hosted the ASG in 1994 AND 2006, but that's because Pittsburgh built a new stadium not long afterwards...

Because it will be the 100th season of Fenway Park, thats why they wanted it.

Shep

MallCopKJ

Aug 22, 2008
bdj610 said:

Its the 100th Anniversary of the park and management was hoping for a few years now they would get to host it in 2012. Maybe not a suprise, but noteworthy that they didnt get it.

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008
Kaufman is awesome with the new renovations and the seats behind and besides the water. Also behind the outfield is a huge kids play park with tons of stuff for the kiddos to do. Its quite impressive.

shephech

Aug 18, 2008
Oh Canada......
How can there be an all-star game in 2012 when the world in going to end?!? Geez guys ::facepalm::

Jk... but yeah we will have to make the trip and see what everyone is raving about.

Shep :ugeek:

Sean_C

Oct 21, 2009
They should force KC to spend whatever profit they make from the ASG on player salaries.

touchdowntimekc

Dec 19, 2009
It troubles me when people say the Royals don't spend money on salaries when they are a small market team that actually does. According to Forbes the Royals spend almost exactly the same percent of their revenue on baseball operations as the Yankees and Red Sox do.

The only problem is due to their market size they only bring in about 1/3 to 1/4 the revenue teams like those do. If major league baseball wants to help the problem with revenue disparity (which revenue sharing only helps a small amount) They need to eventually expand the amount of teams in places like New York, Chicago, LA so teams that are in such lucrative markets can't benefit so greatly just because the major market they reside in. Or baseball should get smart and cap the the revenue a team can bring in and then spilt it equally between the teams.

If the Yankees or Red Sox played in North Dakota they wouldn't have the payrolls they do.

touchdowntimekc

Dec 19, 2009
To put my arguement in baseball card terms who most likely is going to have a better collection someone who makes 30,000 a year or someone who makes 120,000 a year. When more money is availiable to you just because where you play its not really a fair game.

Or if you buy a $60 box of topps or a $250 box of some premium brand more times than not who will come out more ahead with better cards. It can happen once in a blue moon the topps box you might hit but 90/100 the $250 you'll do better. Thats the disadvantage what teams like the Royals face

KC37

Aug 7, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm happy for KC, but I'm a little shocked that the business minds in MLB wouldn't pounce on the opportunity to exploit the 100th year of Fenway. It seemed like a no-brainer.
Let's make sure this gets tucked away for whenever people complain that the league will do whatever Boston and New York want them to do.

I do want to get out to see KC at some point, though. And, the ***** League Hall of Fame is there, too, isn't it?

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
bungle77 said:
I'm happy for KC, but I'm a little shocked that the business minds in MLB wouldn't pounce on the opportunity to exploit the 100th year of Fenway. It seemed like a no-brainer.
Let's make sure this gets tucked away for whenever people complain that the league will do whatever Boston and New York want them to do.

I do want to get out to see KC at some point, though. And, the ***** League Hall of Fame is there, too, isn't it?

It will generate nearly the same buzz whenever its at Fenway, even if not for the 100th year.

Members online

Latest posts