Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Serious Player Collectors.....a Website idea>>>>

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
The thread about Beckett being down (again) got me thinking.....

I basically use beckett for the Utley checklist and an occasional search for harder to find cards.

I've built an Utley checklist in excel on my hard drive that is unmatched; it's actually more in depth, more accurate, better laid out chronologically and (by about 100-150 pack inserted cards) more complete than the Beckett Utley checklist. I did this for my own collection, and if someone was casually perusing Beckett, they would have a harder time with his checklist than if they were looking at my personal sheet.

I can only assume that many of you guys have the same thing on your computer. Some of you guys are very thorough and could be an asset to the community and world of cards at large.

Perhaps we all upload our excel sheets to a common site? :grouphug: One that is able to be only edited by the original up-loader to add current, future and present releases?

I have plenty of server space, but have 0% code writing ability. If we pool our resources and artistic abilities we could get this going. My Utley CL is interesting to a few, but with ~50 to ~100 player collectors (maybe more) that have thorough checklists, we really could build a site that people could use without having to bother with beckett anymore.

Or maybe even add something like this to FCB? :idea:

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Interesting idea but I don't see it benefiting many people outside of the hardcore player collector, for that player. For the most part Beckett has a pretty good list and while I do have cards they don't have listed, I can't imagine too many others would be looking for them, or have them for that matter.

I'll help you out with an Andruw Jones list if this goes anywhere.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I'll happily throw it into a database and code the back-end, but I don't know what exactly you'd do with it.

You did (are doing)(hopefully will do) me a solid, so I'd have no problem returning the favour.

As for people not having a use for it. If there's one thing that I've learned, if one person has a use for something it means a lot of people have a use for it.

It's incredibly difficult to code something unless you know exactly what it's supposed to do, though.

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
If you have your checklist in Excel (or Word), just do a "Save As" and change the type to *.htm or *.html and upload it to a server.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Lancemountain said:
Jeff N. said:
May be some copyright infringement issues..

How so :|

You're taking Beckett's list of 1500 cards or whatever and adding 100-150 that they don't list. I would imagine they own the rights to their list even though I know you could argue that you collated it yourself.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
Fandruw25 said:
Lancemountain said:
Jeff N. said:

You're taking Beckett's list of 1500 cards or whatever and adding 100-150 that they don't list. I would imagine they own the rights to their list even though I know you could argue that you collated it yourself.

Well to be 100% honest I used their website as a guide and did collate it myself. It's not set up or in the same order as Beckett. But without Beckett it wouldn't be as complete.

hmm

thehamiltonian

Mar 7, 2009
Canada
Lancemountain said:
Fandruw25 said:
Lancemountain said:
Jeff N. said:

Well to be 100% honest I used their website as a guide and did collate it myself. It's not set up or in the same order as Beckett. But without Beckett it wouldn't be as complete.

hmm

Beckett's naming system is somewhat unique, and their checklists are copyrighted. They can tell when someone has just used their checklist, and have made attempts to have these removed in the past (sometimes you can see people selling checklist CDs on eBay).

"1989 Upper Deck #1 Ken Griffey Jr" is not unique, but for multiple player cards and various inserts with print run info, etc, its really obvious when someone just copied and pasted.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
ah ok, my checklist will be fine then. I didn't cut/paste and used my own verbiage.

I guess no one else wants to do this though :lol: oh well

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Great Idea...If it went through, I'd contribute the Gwynn portion. However, I am far from ready. With now very close to 4000 different cards, I would imagine I am the (proportionally) the least organized player collector. My checklist is from 2005 which is two computers ago. Meaning: all I have is my hard copy. I have been hand writing unlisted cards as I go, and anything after 2005 (which , actually, there is a ton of newer Gwynn cards) I am not even checklisting, just collecting. Lazy, I know!

Lance- I think you are on to a great idea, though. I think it would be a great site. And would force me to be more organized!!

Members online

Latest posts