Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Has anyone received a PayPal chargeback on a "gift" payment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey2884

Aug 7, 2008
Manhattan
I am close to making a large deal ($600+) with a Taiwanese buyer (good eBay feedback) who is willing to pay via "gift" or "payment owed" personal paypal payments to save me any fees.

It would seem that he is assuming most of the risk here, but I still worry about him filing a credit card chargeback, etc. Does anyone have any horror stories with these "fee-less" payment methods?

coltsfan23

Aug 7, 2008
MN
I've received a chargeback once when receiving payment via gift. It was with a US member from another collecting board. Apparently his bank, for some reason, had filed the chargeback and my whole payment was taken. I worked with the seller and thankfully got my money back, but it is definitely possible.

mredsox89

Aug 29, 2008
Miami/Boston
coltsfan23 said:
I've received a chargeback once when receiving payment via gift. It was with a US member from another collecting board. Apparently his bank, for some reason, had filed the chargeback and my whole payment was taken. I worked with the seller and thankfully got my money back, but it is definitely possible.

It all depends on where the payment is actually coming from. If it's purely paypal funds, I don't believe there is any recourse, as its not through any CC company or a bank.

Members online

Latest posts