Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ATTN: Padres Fans The devil needs a parka!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
The Padres were simply atrocious last year, however, maybe this year a bit better?

My wife is a huge Padres fan, so I follow them closely.

Blanks, Headley, Venable and Hundley are all promising young players - I'm so so on Everth Cabrera. We know Adrian Gonzalez is a stud, Eckstein, Gwynn, Stairs and anyone else they plug in at the other spots - well, you know what you are getting there, not a whole lot.

However, Headley is really starting to hit this year and I think Blanks, Hundley and Venable will all have solid seasons.

Heath Bell is a very solid closer, Latos is a good starter, Young is, when healthy...the other starters and relievers eh.

My overall point is this though, there is more potential there then there has been in quite a while.

pigskincardboard

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I wrote something on headley, I dunno, a week ago?

He looks like a totally different hitter.

He's

Making Better Contact
Striking Out Less / Swinging and Missing Less
and..

ABSOLUTELY KILLING OFF-SPEED STUFF.

He's locked right in. Huge strides.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Keep in mind, though, that they just finished a series against the Giants, who don't exactly set the world on fire with their bats! Not to be a naysayer, I'd love to see GOOD baseball here in San Diego, but I'm only cautiously optimistic at best. I'm not a Padres fan in any way, they're just the local team... but maybe they'll actually compete in the NL West this year???

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
jswaykos said:
Keep in mind, though, that they just finished a series against the Giants, who don't exactly set the world on fire with their bats! Not to be a naysayer, I'd love to see GOOD baseball here in San Diego, but I'm only cautiously optimistic at best. I'm not a Padres fan in any way, they're just the local team... but maybe they'll actually compete in the NL West this year???

I don't know that they'll compete in the NL West...the Dodgers are murdering the ball right now, the Giants young players are more developed and the Rockies seem to have a real solid team and will come around...but who knows.

It does seem possible that they won't be total dogs this year and that there are some things to look forward too with guys like Headley -- that is at least progress.

jswaykos

Dec 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
masonphillip said:
jswaykos said:

I don't know that they'll compete in the NL West...the Dodgers are murdering the ball right now, the Giants young players are more developed and the Rockies seem to have a real solid team and will come around...but who knows.

It does seem possible that they won't be total dogs this year and that there are some things to look forward too with guys like Headley -- that is at least progress.

These are basically my sentiments. Being even remotely competitive in their division would be a HUGE step forward for the Padres. The question, should they play well for a few months, is do they still trade Gonzalez? They'll lost a giant chunk of their production if he leaves.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
jswaykos said:
masonphillip said:
jswaykos said:

These are basically my sentiments. Being even remotely competitive in their division would be a HUGE step forward for the Padres. The question, should they play well for a few months, is do they still trade Gonzalez? They'll lost a giant chunk of their production if he leaves.

Yep and the thing is, all four of the other teams have very nice cores of young talent and in most cases, potential young superstars on their teams...so the Padres have to try and keep up to a degree. They have lagged, somewhat due to crappy drafting and somewhat due to the messy divorce of the owner...so they have a lot of work to do yet.

On the Gonalez note, it all depends what you can get of course but if you have an opportunity to add a couple top top prospects by trading him, I say yes, Blanks could just move to first, his natural position.

I'd like to see them be more competitive too so attending the games is more fun :) I usually make it to a few games a year when I'm out in SD.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
I would love to see the Padres contend this year, but I am quite certain they will be eliminated from the race by August.

I am enjoying it as it lasts.

Wes

OG
Administrator
pigskincardboard said:
I wrote something on headley, I dunno, a week ago?

He looks like a totally different hitter.

He's

Making Better Contact
Striking Out Less / Swinging and Missing Less
and..

ABSOLUTELY KILLING OFF-SPEED STUFF.

He's locked right in. Huge strides.

He's also running like Carl Crawford!

Seiya

Aug 7, 2008
Chula Vista, CA
Very surprising start for the Pads, they're picking up right where they left off last year. After 6 years of playing at Petco Park the GM FINALLY understodd they needed an athletic running team and they finally got it, KT was a good GM and all, but good riddance.

Members online

No members online now.