Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How about some Ripken memorabilia from 1979?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RITM

Aug 25, 2008
1979MiamiSchedule.jpg

Obviously I love focusing on Cal's minor league memorabilia. You get to stumble across things every once in awhile that you have never seen before that is related to Cal's professional baseball career. This week I acquired a 1979 Miami Orioles pocket schedule. The cool thing about it is that it was printed on a heavier paper than your pocket schedules of today. With that being said it's held up well over the past 31 years. The best thing is that with ebay bucks it was free.

1979 was Cal's first full season of professional baseball after playing short season rookie ball with Bluefield in 1978. Cal would hit his first professional home run on July 2 of that season. Cal wrote about this HR in his autobiography:

“It was my first home run in the minor leagues…then something happened to the lights on the field and during the blackout, I sat on the bench wondering if the homer counted if we didn’t finish the game. Fortunately, they came back on; we won the game 1-0 and I had my homer.”

Kurt Schweizer wrote a great article about Cal's minor league days in Miami after Cal was selected for the HOF. You can read Kurt's article at the following link: "Ripken Gets the Call"

Members online