Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Mike Montgomery-Future in the MLB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Let me first say that I do own some of his cards, but I think he is already hot enough right now; this is not an attempt to "pimp my cards."

I was just wondering what everyone thought of his future in the MLB. What do you guys project him to be? An Ace? 2-3? Reliever?
When do you guys think he'll get the call?
Think his cards still have plenty of room?

MichaelStanton2010

Feb 14, 2010
trademhigh said:
Let me first say that I do own some of his cards, but I think he is already hot enough right now; this is not an attempt to "pimp my cards."

I was just wondering what everyone thought of his future in the MLB. What do you guys project him to be? An Ace? 2-3? Reliever?
When do you guys think he'll get the call?
Think his cards still have plenty of room?

Gotta love when he is the #1 inaugural hot sheet player out of the gate(especially with the Bowman Chrome Auto on the friggin hot sheet :D ) and you can project those huge numbers for the entire year!!! If I had any they would be long gone by now, he will be serviceable as a #2 on one of the crappiest teams in baseball year in and year out. I guess what I am trying to say, I would not be buying Montgomery right now.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
BP has him around 30 in their top 100 prospects list before the year with high praise and he's certainly been impressive to this point. (I like BP's projections since they "say it as it is" and don't make out every prospect to be the next Cy Young.) They had him as a #2 guy in the bigs, though the right up on Montgomery was as positive as anyone on the list.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Topnotchsy said:
BP has him around 30 in their top 100 prospects list before the year with high praise and he's certainly been impressive to this point. (I like BP's projections since they "say it as it is" and don't make out every prospect to be the next Cy Young.) They had him as a #2 guy in the bigs, though the right up on Montgomery was as positive as anyone on the list.

he's gonna be top 10 by the end of the year.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
cgilmo said:
Topnotchsy said:

Don't see any reason this won't be the case if he continues what he's been doing. Lots of guys will be off the board by then (could be as many as 10 who reach the Bigs including Strasburg, Heyward, Feliz, Jennings, Santana, Hellickson etc.) and he could easily pass a number of guys who were rated higher than him.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Topnotchsy said:
cgilmo said:
Topnotchsy said:

Don't see any reason this won't be the case if he continues what he's been doing. Lots of guys will be off the board by then (could be as many as 10 who reach the Bigs including Strasburg, Heyward, Feliz, Jennings, Santana, Hellickson etc.) and he could easily pass a number of guys who were rated higher than him.

Cashner too, if he remains a prospect

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
I don't see him being an ace like Lincecum, Felix, Halladay, etc but more like a sold #2 or 3 pitcher ala matt cain, cole hamels, ubaldo jimmenez status (so an all star).

could be a nice 1-2 future punch like hallday hamels, lincecum cain, lee felix etc

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
darocker80 said:
I don't see him being an ace like Lincecum, Felix, Halladay, etc but more like a sold #2 or 3 pitcher ala matt cain, cole hamels, ubaldo jimmenez status (so an all star).

could be a nice 1-2 future punch like hallday hamels, lincecum cain, lee felix etc

He is as good a prospect as any named you mentioned was.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
cgilmo said:
darocker80 said:

Sorry bit confused? Yes he's a very talented prospect, I just am saying I don't see him being the ace, #1. :/

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
To be honest - I don't know much about Montgomery, but from what I've read, it sounds like he is a competitor, and that could make him a future #1. It'll just depend on how hard he works.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
darocker80 said:
cgilmo said:
darocker80 said:

Sorry bit confused? Yes he's a very talented prospect, I just am saying I don't see him being the ace, #1. :/

hes got everything any of those guys had in the minors

thenumberonemetfan

Aug 7, 2008
Bronx,Ny
darocker80 said:

Ubaldo is an ace.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
lisu said:
To be honest - I don't know much about Montgomery, but from what I've read, it sounds like he is a competitor, and that could make him a future #1. It'll just depend on how hard he works.
From BP 2010:

Top 100 prospects list:
" A 6-foot-5 left-hander with off the charts athleticism, a smooth delivery and power stuff? Sign us up. Mongomery possesses a heater that sits at 92-94 mph with movement and a very good breaking ball. He has compiled a 2.06 ERA in his first 33 professional games, and those kinds of numbers should continue all the way up the ladder.

darocker80

Aug 7, 2008
Lincecum Land
thenumberonemetfan said:
darocker80 said:

Ubaldo is an ace.
i guess so just the last two years i wouldn't label him as an ace. this year he is def making his case.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts